Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Guard Green
Ok, hear me out:

I'm reaching the end of the road (no pun intended) with my stock rear Pirellis on my '16 PP GT. I found a killer deal on four Pilot Sport 4s take-offs (~50 miles) 275/40's for the rear (might as well have an extra set!). My stock front Pirellis have a lot of life left in them. Should I ride out the rest of the life of the fronts while having mismatched rears, or do I replace the fronts with 255/40 PS 4s and keep the Pirellis for any tire emergencies (non-repairable tire damage)?

Might sound silly, but this is causing some inner turmoil!!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Handling can be a little strange with old tires from one manufacturer up front and new tire on the rear. Regardless of wear, if the front tires are 3 or more years old, go ahead and chuck them. If they’re only a year os so old, its never really recommended but its your choice. The front tires do most of the braking and the initial turning, but Its generally a little safer on a RWD car to have less grip up front.

This is why a lot of us replace the staggered PP1 wheels and tires with a square set (usually wider too) Allows you to rotate and keeps the wear even so you can usually replace all 4 when they wear out together.

OP
OP
Bullittproof16

Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
Handling can be a little strange with old tires from one manufacturer up front and new tire on the rear. Regardless of wear, if the front tires are 3 or more years old, go ahead and chuck them. If they’re only a year os so old, its never really recommended but its your choice. The front tires do most of the braking and the initial turning, but Its generally a little safer on a RWD car to have less grip up front.

This is why a lot of us replace the staggered PP1 wheels and tires with a square set (usually wider too) Allows you to rotate and keeps the wear even so you can usually replace all 4 when they wear out together.
Good point. My next move will be wheels and tires that are squared for sure. I appreciate the staggered setup, but .5" difference in the rear isn't significant enough to make a huge impact in my opinion. Just makes things more expensive! Thanks for the input.

for street driving, no.
Makes sense. Thanks!

Use this as an excuse to do some truly wicked burnouts on the old set. Then replace all four tires with new(ish) same compound tires.
Oh, that'll definitely be happening! It'll be a "surprise" for my girlfriend when she's in the car next haha.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the only times I’ve used the line lock on this car were when I was going to replace the rear tires in the next 24 hours anyway.

works as advertised :)

OP
OP
Bullittproof16

Bullittproof16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the only times I’ve used the line lock on this car were when I was going to replace the rear tires in the next 24 hours anyway.

works as advertised :)
I have been meaning to try this... It's hard to find a place in LA where I'd get away with this!
Sponsored