Sponsored

Should I buy one of these GT350's...?

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hey there everybody. Long time reader, first time poster.

A little background. I've been driving a Chevy SS (aka Holden Commodore) for the past four years. Two years in a'14 automatic followed by the last two years in my '16 6-speed manual. Love the car, but after four years the stock LS3 is starting to feel slow and I'm way tired of driving a car that gets mistaken for a Malibu. I've been thinking I wanted something with an LT4 (CTS-V3 or ZL1). A few weeks ago I went to a local used car store dealing primarily in "specialty" vehicles. I was there to look at a CTS-V they had when I saw a couple of GT350's. They saw me drooling and offered a test drive. I don't need to tell you guys, but DAMN! What a car.

I have no brand preferences, but typically prefer American. My first car was a '65 Mustang. I've also owned two Mustang GT's ('08 and '12). I've owned two F-150's ('05 and '13) and my wife currently drives our '17 F-250 Lariat.

Anyway, in the weeks since the GT350 test drive, I've been busy convincing myself the car is not for me. This would be a daily driver and I'd be giving up things like HUD, blind spot monitor, sunroof, etc. So why can't get this cars out of my mind??

Here are the three cars I'm looking at. They are all 2017's. The white and blue ones have the heated/cooled leather seats, which I prefer given it's a daily driver. The black one is the cheapest and it has lowest miles but it has Recaros. I think I'd want to add stripes to that one too. No clue how hard that is.

http://www.lewisvilleautoplex.com/u...by+GT350-e5f3e87d0a0e0aea0c91cf7dca719615.htm

http://www.lewisvilleautoplex.com/u...by+GT350-e5f3e6400a0e0aea0c91cf7d514b6ef0.htm

http://www.lewisvilleautoplex.com/u...by+GT350-3a8fa0b20a0e0a170417f92954c89f1e.htm

I like this dealer because they're giving me a really good trade value on my SS. Current deal on the table is $57.5K on the Blue one and $36.5K for my '16 SS w/ 24k. I tried to get them down to $55K on the blue one and it was a hard NO. They assured me they didn't have that much room to move. Both the blue and white ones have been sitting there for at least a month. The black one just popped up about a week ago.

Which would you choose? Thoughts on their pricing? How much would you pay?
Sponsored

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Welcome! if the seats are important factor for a daily. Go for it. You will regret it otherwise. It does make it easier to get in and get out.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The thing about the seats comes down to all opinion, which unfortunately doesn't help your buying position. A lot of folks seem to value it quite a bit, but I would certainly not make a decision like this on anyone else's opinion; in regards to the seats. I absolutely love my Recaro's. Heat & cool are pretty darn nice (I've had them), but these seats are not that bad due to the material. I've done 700+ straight road trip in mine already and felt better than a road trip in any other vehicle. I've sat in the other seats (not driven) and to me it's no comparison and a no brainer. I would not trade the support and the bolstering for the creature comforts.

Only thing I've read opinions come into play on is if you're a bigger person and physically just don't fit down in the seats. Then you may not want the Recaro's.

All these opinions are great and all, but at the end of the day, it boils down to what YOU want. Doesn't matter how much I would pay...how much would YOU pay?

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
The thing about the seats comes down to all opinion, which unfortunately doesn't help your buying position. A lot of folks seem to value it quite a bit, but I would certainly not make a decision like this on anyone else's opinion; in regards to the seats. I absolutely love my Recaro's. Heat & cool are pretty darn nice (I've had them), but these seats are not that bad due to the material. I've done 700+ straight road trip in mine already and felt better than a road trip in any other vehicle. I've sat in the other seats (not driven) and to me it's no comparison and a no brainer. I would not trade the support and the bolstering for the creature comforts.

Only thing I've read opinions come into play on is if you're a bigger person and physically just don't fit down in the seats. Then you may not want the Recaro's.

All these opinions are great and all, but at the end of the day, it boils down to what YOU want. Doesn't matter how much I would pay...how much would YOU pay?
Appreciate the input on the seats. I don't mind the Recaros as much as I wish they were leather (like the Recaros in the ZL1 and CTS-V3). I also wish they had heat / cool option. I've actually considered getting the Recaros and having they recovered in Leather.

As far as price... idk, I just wish they were a bit cheaper. I'm worried about these cars taking a massive hit when the GT500 comes out. I'm always thinking about resale value cuz I know my track record... in 1-2 years I'll be ready for change again.

Let me ask it this way... (using the black one):

• in ONE year will a 2017 GT350 with 12K miles be worth $51K?
  • in TWO years will a 2017 GT350 with 24K miles be worth $44K?

If so, I'm a happy camper. That's aprox $6K - $7K depreciation per year. No issue there. The scenario I fear is $10K + per year.

I understand nobody has a crystal ball, but what does your gut tell you when you see those values?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Brotha, if that's the way you're viewing this purchase, you need to find another car.

Keep in mind if you get these seats covered in leather with no heat/cool function, they'll be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The Recaro material/construction is not that bad; they're not great anywhere, but they're good everywhere...IMO;) The rationale for not making them leather is the track orientation and less sliding around.

Sponsored

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
The LS3 in your Chevy SS is a wonderful engine. Just a couple mods and you will wake her right up. I had a 14 Camaro 1LE prior to my GT350. Spent about $2500 on headers (no Cats), throttle body and tune.

All you have to do is help that LS breathe a little easier. The SS also makes a great sleeper car. I wish I could I find one that's not overpriced in my area.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Go to the forum’s classified section and you’ll find GT 350s for sale from forum members. Advantage is you’re buying directly from the owner and will get a good idea of the history of the car. The drawback of course if you cannot trade your present car and will have to sell it outright.
As a matter of fact there is one exactly like one of the three you’re looking at. Lightning blue with black over-the-top stripes. It’s my car. I’m asking 55K.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106221

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I picked up my R 1600 miles from home and drove it back and was fine with the Recaro seats.

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Brotha, if that's the way you're viewing this purchase, you need to find another car.

Keep in mind if you get these seats covered in leather with no heat/cool function, they'll be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The Recaro material/construction is not that bad; they're not great anywhere, but they're good everywhere...IMO;) The rationale for not making them leather is the track orientation and less sliding around.
I'm a finance guy by profession so unfortunately this is how I look at every big purchase. Before somebody reminds me that a car is not an investment, I get it. I don't expect any car to appreciate in value or even hold it's value. Depreciation is a given. But you have to admit some cars depreciate faster than others. Slow depreciating cars include the Raptor, Jeep Wrangler, Audi R8, Nissan GT-R, etc. Fast depreciating cars would be the full size GM SUV's, BMW M5, Aston Martin, etc. Based on the used values I'm seeing, so far the GT350 appears to depreciate slower than average. I just wonder if that will continue.

Good point on the seats. I will never track the car though. This is why I'm leaning pass on the Recaros.

Thank you for your input.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Good point on the seats. I will never track the car though. This is why I'm leaning pass on the Recaros.

Thank you for your input.
Most of us will really recommend just driving with both seats if you're uncertain. The Recaro's aren't simply a track item that we put up with on the street. Quite the opposite, those of us who prefer the Recaros like how snug and connected they make you feel with the car, which in our opinion adds to the experience of driving the car. If you try them and they instead feel like a nuisance to you, then you know which way to go. But regardless of whether you'll track the car, you may find the Recaros simply more enjoyable. Just drive both and see.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Most of us will really recommend just driving with both seats if you're uncertain. The Recaro's aren't simply a track item that we put up with on the street. Quite the opposite, those of us who prefer the Recaros like how snug and connected they make you feel with the car, which in our opinion adds to the experience of driving the car. If you try them and they instead feel like a nuisance to you, then you know which way to go. But regardless of whether you'll track the car, you may find the Recaros simply more enjoyable. Just drive both and see.
Yep, mine is not tracked and i look at the leather as a downgrade. I love the recaros.

OP, i would also look new since they’re not budging on their price...those are 52-53k cars all day long from an individual, and there are plenty for sale

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't get the Recaros if you don't ever plan on tracking it (and I really like those recaros). The convenience package seats are much better for daily use (getting in and out, if nothing else).

Not tracking these cars is like having a tamed Wolf for the family dog, IMO.

OP
OP

ixfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Go to the forum’s classified section and you’ll find GT 350s for sale from forum members. Advantage is you’re buying directly from the owner and will get a good idea of the history of the car. The drawback of course if you cannot trade your present car and will have to sell it outright.
As a matter of fact there is one exactly like one of the three you’re looking at. Lightning blue with black over-the-top stripes. It’s my car. I’m asking 55K.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106221
Looks amazing. If only it was closer.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I've had both seats in the GT350. Heated/Cooled seats in my Tech pack and Recaros in my R.

If you are never gonna track and live in Dallas... 95% you would want the Heated/Cooled seats. However, never wanting to track this car would be a shame. :cheers:
Sponsored