Short Throw Shifter

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Since I have not driven my GT 350 yet (ETD this month). How is the throw? Or, does it need to be shorter? Thoughts....
Sponsored

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I actually think it's a pretty good stock shifter. I wouldn't call it a 'short throw' shifter but it isn't bad at all. Much better than OEM BMW shifters IMO.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
very light clutch pedal, gears just crunch into place, strong and sturdy, i love the sound of shifting

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Don't anticipate swapping the shifter until you have a chance to drive your car. You will like the way it shifts, but it will take a little bit of driving to get accustomed to the car overall.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A shorter throw usually comes with a price, be it increased effort and/or a "notchier" feel. The throw on this unit isn't overly long but the feel isn't exactly the best. MGW is working to address that and has been testing a unit for some time now.

Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
A shorter throw usually comes with a price, be it increased effort and/or a "notchier" feel. The throw on this unit isn't overly long but the feel isn't exactly the best. MGW is working to address that and has been testing a unit for some time now.
I agree. The factory shifter is probably the best ford has put out especially since the end of top loader shifters. The stock one is smooth with a bit of mushiness to me IMO.

I personally don't mind a little more effort to makes shfits more deliberate. The more mechanical feel along with better centering springs and shorter shifts is welcome in my book. I will be getting an MGW when they're available. I've had one on every mustang I owned and my viper and have no plans on changing that

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't put blame on the shifter for it feeling notchy, that's on the transmission end. The shifter is a simple pendulum design, with a ball/sphere fulcrum that was modeled after the, gasp, Camaro shifter that sits behind the TR6060. It's a low-cost unit that lacks precision.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I'll be getting a MGW as soon as they are available. The stock shifter isn't terrible, but I think they cheaped out a bit on the shifter. Not a big deal. Easy fix once MGW releases theirs.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Shifter is great in my opinion clear nice clicks going into gears and relatively smooth all around. Only complaint is the super light clutch which can make things tricky if your not great with a stick.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
MGW bought a GT350 and looks to be tinkering with it

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MGW started work on the TR3160 transmission and shifter before they even had the car.

No better mix than a firearms industry company that also designs and manufactures high performance shifters, or vice versa.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
MGW started work on the TR3160 transmission and shifter before they even had the car.

No better mix than a firearms industry company that also designs and manufactures high performance shifters, or vice versa.
Now that's dedication, damn! :thumbsup:

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
I think the shifter is a perfect compromise. My transmission can be a little hard to shift when cold. The problem in the cold is that the engine will heat up its oil, but the trans has a hard time heating up. Try your car for 1000 miles before you start changing it.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
MGW bought a GT350 and looks to be tinkering with it
That's a damn good ass reason to buy your shop it's own GT350.

"Uh yes, it's for business purposes... I need it to develop and test our shifter.."
20,000 miles later
"Yep, still testing it's durability and reliability, making sure our products are bulletproof and the customers happy."
Sponsored