Sponsored

Short screeching sound right after the engine start

E=MC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge & Soon to be Mach 1
Never thought about it this way, but you are right. There are no snakes in our parking lot though :).
Well you have one in your engine, Powered by snakes.
Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
If you haven't already why don't you have someone start the car while you are listening under the hood? If its that type of screech from a belt or similar you will hear it. Personally, I would not worry about it and keep driving it. If its an issue it will get worse then you can document at the dealer. This car has a lot of different electronic buzzes, checks and pumps, I hear them late at night or when opening the door. Good luck.

In addition you could do the screw driver trick to the block or a stethoscope to hear for it at startup. I worked at Ford heavy line department that's what the techs would do back in the day.

OP
OP
murick

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Just to give an update on the topic. This week I had a regular check-up at the dealer and told them about the sound. Meanwhile I also found out that the sound does not appear when "cold starting" the car - i.e. just by entering the car, without first switching it on, pressing the clutch and pushing the start button. I explained (and demonstrated) both behaviors and also noticed that once the car was "warm started" (i.e. with first turning it on) it was not possible to "cold start" it right after. I guess there is some cool down period needed.

Anyway, the conclusion from the dealer was that they understood and confirmed the behavior, but it was probably not a problem. They told me they tried on two other Mustangs, one with an automatic transmission which was on display, and one manual which they got from a customer. The AT car did not do it, while the manual (and used) car did.

They also confirmed it does not come from the engine bay, but rather from the dashboard, and they told me that they simply did not want to disassemble the dashboard for that.

So it seems it happens, possibly more often (or exclusively?) on manual Mustangs, but is not limited to Mach 1s (as the manual which exhibited the behavior was a GT).
Sponsored