Sponsored

Shopping for my next F-Street Mustang

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Don't forget that the GT PP also has a Torsen differential. This is a pretty major upgrade for autocross and HPDE.
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Regarding gear ratio and daily driving gas mileage. If around town the 3.73's just mean you can be comfortable one gear higher than with a taller rear end ratio. On the highway in 6th gear revs are so low even with 3.73's I doubt that it would make much, if any, difference.

GT PP vs. standard GT for autocross? IF you are gung ho serious then you need the PP but even then some Camaro and BMW models are faster at many national level events and there are several experts who consider the Boss 302 to be the best Mustang choice.

If your goal is to have a really good Mustang which happens to be a darn good autocross car but not "the theoretically best" then get a GT version which could be ordered with the optional 20x9 inch F&R wheels (as I recall this requires a Premium package). Then buy a set of 19x9's for autocross use with 275/35x19 RE-71R's. You won't be giving up "much" in performance.

The Torsen is very nice compared to Traction Lock but I don't know how important it is given the traction of the RE-71R's.

OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Well, you guys are no help! You sent my great money saving plan straight to hell!!! :doh:

I found a 2016 Ruby Red GT PP with an over-the-top stripe nearby.

MSRP - $36,660

X-Plan - $34,878

Their offer - $33,145, and I can get another $500 off if I go with Ford Financing and then change to my credit union. :headbang:

I get a veterans discount on top of that...:D so final price of $ $31,645

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's a great price, nice work!

MustangSC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
To the OP. Just my 2 cents.

I was in the exact same boat. A lot of the guys posting here are national competitors so they clearly know what they are talking about. Just like you I was up in the air about the PP. It is clearly the option to have if you want to really be competitive. Here is why I went with the GT with the black accent package. It looks awesome! I have been doing Auto-x for about 5 years and I like it but I have no real desire to go to nationals. I do maybe 12 events a year. So if I had purchased a PP GT I was looking at the bare minimum of buying a new set of all seasons or blizzak's for the winter (it will be my daily driver) and a new set of wheels and and RE-71r's. Not to mention that there are other upgrades and mods you would need to do if i'm not mistaken. All this stuff costs money. Yes, i'll be hamstrung on 8.5 in wheels. Can maybe squeeze 265's on them. But at the end of the day it's a DD for me with the occasional autocross. That's what made the difference in my decision making. You just have to know what your priorities are. I'm sure I'll second guess everything when I'm getting beat by other GT's and camaro's and M3's. If I get sick of it enough I'll do some stuff and move into Cam or STP or whatever else they come up with. Probably not, though. Just not that important to me. Anyway, good luck with your decision!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I tried finding the GT base with the black accent package and the 3.55 rear, but there isn't one in Florida. So, I'd have to order it, and I wouldn't get nearly the discount I found with this car. And yes, I absolutely LOVED the way that car looked.

I already have a rear sway that I'll move over, so that leaves me with finding a set of PP take-off's that I'll throw A/S tires on. I will still be money ahead over the ordered car.

Now....anyone in NE Florida want to sell me a set of PP wheels cheap???:D

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
John - There is one thing you really will need to get used to with a Ruby Red GT PP. People of all ages and genders will come up to you and say how much they really like the car in Ruby Red. It is amazing.

More seriously you really "want" to get a set of Konis asap.

Also, I'm not sure why you need all season tires before the oem summer tires wear out if you live in FL. I still have mine for off season use in NC but we have a 97 Mustang GT with all seasons and snows for bad weather.

Welcome!

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Well, you guys are no help! You sent my great money saving plan straight to hell!!! :doh:

I found a 2016 Ruby Red GT PP with an over-the-top stripe nearby.

MSRP - $36,660

X-Plan - $34,878

Their offer - $33,145, and I can get another $500 off if I go with Ford Financing and then change to my credit union. :headbang:

I get a veterans discount on top of that...:D so final price of $ $31,645
Good price! I did Z-Plan on mine (family member retired from Ford after many years), same base PP car, only options were security system and sport pedals, and there was a $500 Ford incentive. Netted out at almost exactly $32K even.

OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I've been making a list of what I'll need to take off my 2015 V6 to trade it in - holy smokes! It's a lot, including a rear sway, axle backs, a bunch of Diode Dynamics lights, hood struts, and an oil catch can. Looks like I'll be busy in the morning!

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Ruby Red is the best....was at the track and couple in a brand new Vette beeped and yelled at me we love the color. Glad you figured it out, I was super confused and I was just reading the thread.

Sponsored

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
John - There is one thing you really will need to get used to with a Ruby Red GT PP. People of all ages and genders will come up to you and say how much they really like the car in Ruby Red. It is amazing.

More seriously you really "want" to get a set of Konis asap.

Also, I'm not sure why you need all season tires before the oem summer tires wear out if you live in FL. I still have mine for off season use in NC but we have a 97 Mustang GT with all seasons and snows for bad weather.

Welcome!
Quoted for the truth. Dick's car looks simply awesome. My car is red and doesn't hold a candle to his.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quoted for the truth. Dick's car looks simply awesome. My car is red and doesn't hold a candle to his.
Ruby red paint would help a lot on your car but the lines/angles on the S550 seem to be a big part of why the color works so well.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Ruby red paint would help a lot on your car but the lines/angles on the S550 seem to be a big part of why the color works so well.
Agreed.... Still can't get over the base GT's rear bumper though :p Not that your car looks bad, just not my cup of tea! :)

And Ruby Red FTW! :)

OP
OP
Ugly John

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Here she is!

I got all my Diode Dynamics lights switched over and the hood struts on. Today I'll be putting the Strano rear sway on. Too bad it's a zillion degrees out!

We're autocrossing Sunday, but only if more people sign up. I'm not sure if people are just procrastinating, or if they're still cooling down from our last session in the heat, but only 15 are signed up so far. I hope we get the numbers up because I really really really want to see what she'll do!
Mustang14-1.jpg
Mustang15-2.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So shiney! Looks great, now go drive the rubber off the tires :)
Sponsored