Sponsored

Shelby GT350 Mustang Owners File New Class Action Lawsuit Against Ford for Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
To repeat myself there is no reason the "occasional" track day would require any less cooling then frequent track days. Either you have adequate cooling or you dont.

Do you disagree with the above statement? Im really lost why the frequency of track days would matter?
Yeah because cars without coolers never occationaly go to the track and are completely fine. This car seems to be setting a President there.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Don't we have enough Presidential problems already? No need to set any precedents on this one.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Don't we have enough Presidential problems already? No need to set any precedents on this one.
Yep autocorrect strikes again.

I recently changed from iOS to android and I miss type keys all the time.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just an old guy, but I figured track pack was for track and tech was for cars and coffee. I know there is a lot of butt hurt and there is a lot of finger pointing at Ford when you should be looking in the mirror. Sorta like the evil bank made me buy a house that I knew couldn't afford them blame the bank when I lost everything instead of looking in the mirror. ;) When my Boss 302 ran hot I pulled the grill and the POS OEM clutch wouldn't work when hot at high RPM I put in a McLeod Twin Disc. Didnt blame Ford just fixed the car and went on.

Peter
Not on anyone's side but gotta go +3 on this. Seems as if just a little honesty is needed that we made a mistaken purchase because we wanted the latest hot car, leather seats and better electronics or didn't fit in the Recaros and assumed we didn't need the coolers for HPDE. Don't recall any specific documentation or advertising from Ford saying the Tech pack could handle 20 minute HPDE sessions, only erroneous assumptions in retrospect on the part of forum members who never specifically asked Ford Performance this question. Don't recall anyone mentioning the aerodynamics and lack of airflow around the transmission, nobody remarked on if a high revving high HP FPC was different from any other V8 and might always require cooling, etc., etc., before we knew the occurrence of limp mode. All assumptions, not based on solid considerations most visible in hindsight but still assumptions that do require acknowledgement that we made a mistake. Tough pill to swallow but seems more our fault, not Ford's because we didn't ask the right questions and they did offer the coolers in a Track pack. Perhaps their assumption was that people wouldn't run a Tech even in HPDE without the aftermarket coolers as they suggested. If I am incorrect and anyone has specific documentation from Ford that says the Tech pack can handle 20 minute track sessions without coolers I think it would go a long way in helping to win this lawsuit.

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
To repeat myself there is no reason the "occasional" track day would require any less cooling then frequent track days. Either you have adequate cooling or you dont.

Do you disagree with the above statement? Im really lost why the frequency of track days would matter?
No, I do not disagree with your statement.

I thought it was a longevity issue. For instance if I were to track my Tech car every weekend and make the transmission fluid boil, (for arguments sake there is no limp mode because I didn't know there was) then my transmission would fail prematurely. But if I ran once or twice a year and changed the over heated fluid after I would be fine. As said before in hindsight your position is obviously the right one. Did you know that the Tech cars would do what they're doing? I sure didn't. I don't feel Ford owes me anything. I don't care about warranty at all. I just believe that the Tech cars should have been built with coolers even if it jacked the price another 3 or 4 grand. As they were built they should have had a line somewhere that said "This car will not be able to be tracked at all without the addition of aftermarket coolers and this will void your warrant". Some people would have still bought them, some wouldn't. I truly believe this lawsuit is a waste of time and effort on both sides. Sitting here thinking about my options even knowing what I know now I would have possibly still bought the car I did just with a different mindset and I may not have been as willing to pay an ADM or possibly waited for a 17 or looked allot harder for an R with electronics package.

I know I love this car regaurdless and can't wait to get back to driving it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
No, I do not disagree with your statement.

I thought it was a longevity issue. For instance if I were to track my Tech car every weekend and make the transmission fluid boil, (for arguments sake there is no limp mode because I didn't know there was) then my transmission would fail prematurely. But if I ran once or twice a year and changed the over heated fluid after I would be fine. As said before in hindsight your position is obviously the right one. Did you know that the Tech cars would do what they're doing? I sure didn't. I don't feel Ford owes me anything. I don't care about warranty at all. I just believe that the Tech cars should have been built with coolers even if it jacked the price another 3 or 4 grand. As they were built they should have had a line somewhere that said "This car will not be able to be tracked at all without the addition of aftermarket coolers and this will void your warrant". Some people would have still bought them, some wouldn't. I truly believe this lawsuit is a waste of time and effort on both sides. Sitting here thinking about my options even knowing what I know now I would have possibly still bought the car I did just with a different mindset and I may not have been as willing to pay an ADM or possibly waited for a 17.

I know I love this car regaurdless and can't wait to get back to driving it!
Im sure there are some tech owners who are perfectly happy with their car and wouldn't want to pay 3 to 4K for effectively what is a identical car to them for the way they use it.

Alternatively there could of be no LIMP mode or it set higher and FORD voided the warranty quietly of anyone who tracked a Tech Car.

But we are essentially saying the same thing! Except LEMERs but he will never see that light(Or inversely I never will)

Sadly I think ALOT of this ill will was created by the Dealers and the ADM nonsense.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I normally wouldn't post this but there are a few on here who haven't contributed anything but whining for months and I am sick of them saying they didn't know or speculation came out after the fact. Not everyone had the time to research or read everything, but knowledgeable members with previous experience of similar vehicles were able to predict this. To the many of you tech owners who have helped me with ideas and added to my knowledge of this vehicle I wish you the best with your vehicles and hope you continue to help everyone.
You know most of the back and forth wouldn't happen if one party or the other would stop. If the track pack guys would stop calling the tech/base people stupid or whiners or whatever we wouldn't reply to those posts. It's one of those things - I resolve not to reply, but the repeated insults over and over again continually test that resolve. :frusty:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Something that seems to be getting lost here is that tech pack transmissions run 80 to 100 degrees hotter than track pack cars ON THE STREET. This is most certainly going to present longevity issues that only the base and tech owners will face. If you look at the Ford documentation, the tech car is an upgrade from the track car. Unfortunately it performs worse on the track AND the street. I have experienced limp mode on the street and suspect my transmission will have a much shorter lifespan than a track pack driven in similar conditions.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Yeah, but you're driving it on the street while THINKING of taking it to the track and that's where the extra heat comes from. You should've known about it before buying the sofa seats.

[ame]

Tuckabuckaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Edge, Escape, Flex, Mag GT350 Tech
Don't recall any specific documentation or advertising from Ford saying the Tech pack could handle 20 minute HPDE sessions, only erroneous assumptions in retrospect on the part of forum members who never specifically asked Ford Performance this question.
I keep trying not the scratch this damn itch :D but visit this thread despite my better judgement.
I never intended to track my car with any regularity but it's not unreasonable to believe the car could survive HPDE or Autocross events on at least a limited basis.
Unequivocally, this car was marketed well beyond it's capabilities sans coolers. Go read the Ford media releases beginning just prior to the unveiling at the LA Auto Show. And then go read implied and express warranty definitions. And then explain why coolers were made standard equipment 1 year after full release.
And FWIW, it's not incumbent on the consumer to specifically question a Ford subsidiary when the parent is espousing the "fact" that the latest GT350 (and all of it's thoroughbred track lineage) is the best Mustang ever built.
It's very easy for the MY17 guys, who by in large backed into their good cooler fortune, to criticize us presumptive, naive, and whining MY16 guys. Until you've walked a mile in another's shoes, spare us.

Sponsored

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Another way to look at this is the poor after purchase support. Even if Ford made it crystal clear that the Base/Tech cars would go into limp mode on the track, Ford should have made a reasonable cost solution available to add the coolers after purchase. For example, for someone who bought the car used like me. But they clearly did not have a plan, and so just offered the Track transmission and cooler parts. Why do I have to replace my perfectly fine transmission just to get a pump? And there is no solution for the differential. Plus, there are several people trying to figure out how to hook into the electrical system since Ford did not leave the original connection.

Fortunately, due to some great people on this forum, I have enabled the temperature monitor. And I also updated Sync to get Android Auto, again no thanks to Ford!

I had ordered the cooler kit in early February but canceled it on Monday (it was supposedly going to finally ship in 2 more weeks). I plan to do some other upgrades this summer. Then in the fall I plan to leverage all the great work done on this forum to do my own cooler solution. In my view, it is a damn shame not to ever take this car on the track!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Another way to look at this is the poor after purchase support. Even if Ford made it crystal clear that the Base/Tech cars would go into limp mode on the track, Ford should have made a reasonable cost solution available to add the coolers after purchase. For example, for someone who bought the car used like me. But they clearly did not have a plan, and so just offered the Track transmission and cooler parts. Why do I have to replace my perfectly fine transmission just to get a pump? And there is no solution for the differential. Plus, there are several people trying to figure out how to hook into the electrical system since Ford did not leave the original connection.

Fortunately, due to some great people on this forum, I have enabled the temperature monitor. And I also updated Sync to get Android Auto, again no thanks to Ford!

I had ordered the cooler kit in early February but canceled it on Monday (it was supposedly going to finally ship in 2 more weeks). I plan to do some other upgrades this summer. Then in the fall I plan to leverage all the great work done on this forum to do my own cooler solution. In my view, it is a damn shame not to ever take this car on the track!
Ford never committed initially to make coolers available for the Tech or Base cars. You "could" view the fact they made it as a good faith move. while members where threatening litigation

You "could" also view the fact ford offered the Track Transmission at a discount as a good faith move.

Or you "could" view these measures as a admission of guilt

So someone doesn't buy either of the 2 cars FORD designed for the track but then thinks they are obligated to make parts available to make the cars they did not make for the track able to go onto it?

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I keep trying not the scratch this damn itch :D but visit this thread despite my better judgement.
I never intended to track my car with any regularity but it's not unreasonable to believe the car could survive HPDE or Autocross events on at least a limited basis.
Unequivocally, this car was marketed well beyond it's capabilities sans coolers. Go read the Ford media releases beginning just prior to the unveiling at the LA Auto Show. And then go read implied and express warranty definitions. And then explain why coolers were made standard equipment 1 year after full release.
And FWIW, it's not incumbent on the consumer to specifically question a Ford subsidiary when the parent is espousing the "fact" that the latest GT350 (and all of it's thoroughbred track lineage) is the best Mustang ever built.
It's very easy for the MY17 guys, who by in large backed into their good cooler fortune, to criticize us presumptive, naive, and whining MY16 guys. Until you've walked a mile in another's shoes, spare us.
I very much feel for those who made the wrong decision, just as I would if you made the wrong investment, married the wrong woman, took the wrong job, or bought the wrong house. I just disagree that it is Ford's fault. Your words above are the equivalent of an assumption on your part. That is my only point. I am not criticizing you. I originally ordered a 16 Tech myself based not on Ford's marketing but on opinions expressed on this forum which I am grateful to have followed from the beginning as to whether it could handle the track without coolers. Those opinions were wrong. And I reiterate that Ford never explicitly stated in any marketing that I know of that the Tech was capable of HPDE. If you feel as many do that it was implied I just think you have a very difficult standard of proof.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Most track capable Mustang ever.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ford never committed initially to make coolers available for the Tech or Base cars. You "could" view the fact they made it as a good faith move. while members where threatening litigation

You "could" also view the fact ford offered the Track Transmission at a discount as a good faith move.

Or you "could" view these measures as a admission of guilt

So someone doesn't buy either of the 2 cars FORD designed for the track but then thinks they are obligated to make parts available to make the cars they did not make for the track able to go onto it?
For arguments sake, taking the differential into account there is no possible way to add a cooler to the stock tech differential. Yet they "recommend" adding one for track use. They could of at least installed the correct cover for the differential so tech owners could add the coolers if they wanted to. Now owners are forced to replace the cover, then take steps to install a cooler.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.