Shelby GT 500

Cobra2591

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT premium.
Sorry if this question has been posted before. I have a 2017 Mustang GT. I’m doing research on 2020-2022 Shelby Mustangs. I absolutely love it in Brittany Blue and might consider getting it if somehow they don’t stop selling for 25k over msrp. I do see people on here that do mods on a Shelby. But the question is do you need to? 760 horsepower is more than enough. But how is the exhaust sound? I have never had the pleasure of driving or hearing in person what a stock Shelby sounds like. Does it leave more to be desired ? I can attest that modding my GT was so worth it. The drive is so much better now that I upgraded my exhaust and headers. And the sound is so much better. Just curious if mods such as exhaust or headers are necessary on a Shelby or stock is fine ?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Maybe this will help. I had a whippled 350 with a bunch of other mods that was on a pump gas tune. 752 at the wheels, 650 at my elevation of 6000/ft. The reason I built my 350 was because I didn’t want to lose the tremec. Fast forward, bought a HE 500. Didn’t have room for 3 so put my 350 back to stock and sold it. I just crossed 500 miles on my 500 this weekend. The dct is an engineering marvel without a doubt. The power of the car is just about there with what my whippled 350 was. From a 65-70 roll my 350 would have pulled my 500, but just barely. And that would really come down to driver ability on the 350. The 500 is what I’m going to call very user friendly. If your looking for a quarter mile car stick with the Gt. The 500 can do quarter mile duties but its a waste if thats the goal. I’ve had my 500 to mid triple digits and the car is very stable. My 350 was even more so, but was modded. The difference being that these cars you can nail the brakes and throw the car where you want it to go. The Gt, even modded, doesn’t do it like these cars do no matter what you do. The exhaust note is really nice, not 350R nice, but satisfying. I don’t think these cars need any mods unless your shoot’n for 4 digit hp. I wouldn’t spend the money on exhaust. I still haven’t seen one manufacturer that actually has a side by side comparison with there exhaust and oem. If you want that big hp number obviously that changes as exhaust is concerned. I don’t think many will ever drive one of these to there limit. A base Gt500 is so much car for the money. The kicker is there really aren’t deals on them and even less so on the HE’s(brittany blue). The flip to that is they hold there value. If you have the financial means I highly doubt you’d ever regret making the jump. These cars are very special.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I too had a 2016 GT that I modified quite a bit. But my GT500 is just leaps and bounds a better car. You can easily add HP to them with a pulley swap and tune and be in it for less than a grand. As for exhaust, it sounds phenomenal in stock form. You could absolutely do headers and catback but it definitely doesn’t need it.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
@Inthehighdesert summed it up pretty well. But to your question... it does not leave more to be desired. You also you don't need to change anything on it. I have a Brittany Blue, It's great. I also have a 2018 GT 401a auto. It's great too. And a couple 350s. And they're spectacular.

Buy you know I changed every one of them a little bit. Because that's what sickos like us do. We buy Mustangs and start changing stuff. So go get a GT500 HE. You can find one for 5k over if you look hard enough. Keep us updated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra2591

Cobra2591

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Cobra2591

Cobra2591

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
@Inthehighdesert summed it up pretty well. But to your question... it does not leave more to be desired. You also you don't need to change anything on it. I have a Brittany Blue, It's great. I also have a 2018 GT 401a auto. It's great too. And a couple 350s. And they're spectacular.

Buy you know I changed every one of them a little bit. Because that's what sickos like us do. We buy Mustangs and start changing stuff. So go get a GT500 HE. You can find one for 5k over if you look hard enough. Keep us updated.
You have a very nice collection.

OP
OP
Cobra2591

Cobra2591

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I hope I’m not in over my head. I want this car because I always wanted a Shelby, like fast cars and the value. Personally I think it’s one of the best looking Shelby’s ever made. Im starting to get the feeling if I don’t use this car for the track it might be a waste. Cause I only would use it as a weekend car. Not 30 mile commutes to work.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
I hope I’m not in over my head. I want this car because I always wanted a Shelby, like fast cars and the value. Personally I think it’s one of the best looking Shelby’s ever made. Im starting to get the feeling if I don’t use this car for the track it might be a waste. Cause I only would use it as a weekend car. Not 30 mile commutes to work.
Great weekend car. Not everyone tracks their car. It is a badass street car and a blast to cruise in. Very well behaved.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
There is no wrong way to enjoy one of these. I will say I never get tired of walking in my shop and looking at my cars, it just gets better from there when you hit the button.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Sorry if this question has been posted before. I have a 2017 Mustang GT. I’m doing research on 2020-2022 Shelby Mustangs. I absolutely love it in Brittany Blue and might consider getting it if somehow they don’t stop selling for 25k over msrp. I do see people on here that do mods on a Shelby. But the question is do you need to? 760 horsepower is more than enough. But how is the exhaust sound? I have never had the pleasure of driving or hearing in person what a stock Shelby sounds like. Does it leave more to be desired ? I can attest that modding my GT was so worth it. The drive is so much better now that I upgraded my exhaust and headers. And the sound is so much better. Just curious if mods such as exhaust or headers are necessary on a Shelby or stock is fine ?
Hello, I wanted to jump in here and share a few things that may be helpful. I am in California, and there are a few Car Clubs out here "SoCal Shelby's" and "California Shelby's", I mention them because many of their members I know, and many of them have done mods to their cars, specifically exhaust as well as other mods too. The question you asked focuses on "Do you need to"? And the answer is only if there is something that you want to enhance for personal or performance reasons. The one mod that most Shelby owner change is the wheels, followed by the exhaust. While the GT500 comes with many exhaust modes, the consensus was that the owners wanted more, wanted to stand out, and have a different and distinct note of their own. There has been this chatter going around that the Shelby GT500 needed to "Be awakened", and come alive, thus literally opening up the bowels of the GT500. And many have turned to Borla, The Atak by Borla to be exact, giving it a new sound. Then, Roush entered the conversation with an exhaust system offering an enhanced sound for the GT500. And getting back to your question of "Do you need to", it is totally up to the buyer and the limits that they are trying to push.

OP
OP
Cobra2591

Cobra2591

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Hello, I wanted to jump in here and share a few things that may be helpful. I am in California, and there are a few Car Clubs out here "SoCal Shelby's" and "California Shelby's", I mention them because many of their members I know, and many of them have done mods to their cars, specifically exhaust as well as other mods too. The question you asked focuses on "Do you need to"? And the answer is only if there is something that you want to enhance for personal or performance reasons. The one mod that most Shelby owner change is the wheels, followed by the exhaust. While the GT500 comes with many exhaust modes, the consensus was that the owners wanted more, wanted to stand out, and have a different and distinct note of their own. There has been this chatter going around that the Shelby GT500 needed to "Be awakened", and come alive, thus literally opening up the bowels of the GT500. And many have turned to Borla, The Atak by Borla to be exact, giving it a new sound. Then, Roush entered the conversation with an exhaust system offering an enhanced sound for the GT500. And getting back to your question of "Do you need to", it is totally up to the buyer and the limits that they are trying to push.
I get what you are saying. For my GT I would say that changing the headers and exhaust were a must. The stock exhaust to me was too mellow toned for my liking. And with the new headers the sound and drive are just better. I just wasn’t sure if a 80-100k car needed certain mods to be awakened. Thanks for the info. I like mustangs that sound like old muscle cars. More of a rumble and not raspy. I went with a solo Mach thunder exhaust and stainless power headers. Made a world of difference.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I get what you are saying. For my GT I would say that changing the headers and exhaust were a must. The stock exhaust to me was too mellow toned for my liking. And with the new headers the sound and drive are just better. I just wasn’t sure if a 80-100k car needed certain mods to be awakened. Thanks for the info. I like mustangs that sound like old muscle cars. More of a rumble and not raspy. I went with a solo Mach thunder exhaust and stainless power headers. Made a world of difference.
I hear you 1000%. And your points are very valid and well taken. With that "Shelby Brand", the name alone costs consumers $$$$. But I have seen cars for that same price, and it makes Ford's tech look elementary in many cases. Most vehicles in that price range come with way more amenities. And that has always been a letdown for many who wanted a GT500. The voices would say that the interior was less than desirable and cheap. Not to mention, the lack of "Gadgets", things to enhance a Driver's experience behind the wheel. But, then again, it is a Muscle Car. The GT350R was designed to be a racing vehicle and the GT350 for recreational use, and the GT500 came in and tried to kick down the door by being a more powerful and enhanced version of the GT350. So, there is a lot to unpack when it comes to the overall scope of this vehicle. But for many, the price is a hump that many cannot get over.

Stay Safe out there and keep asking questions. It Brings us together. I look forward to hearing from you.

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
The Mustang GT 3" exhaust system fits the Mustang GT500!!! I used the Magnaflow one!!!