Sponsored

Seriously, how does the EPA rate this car at 14 city and 21 highway?

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Best mileage I've seen is 19 mpg on a 1000+ mile drive from NJ to FL, almost all highway. Probably averaged 70+ mph but the biggest issue is I rarely drive in 6th gear - shuts down sport exhaust!
Thats pretty good.

I think they fixed that issue with the 6th gear in the later models. In my 2020 it says in sport whenever I put it in 6th and take it out of 6th gear.
Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
14 City/21 Highway sounds correct to me.

I get around 12 Mpg in the mountains but get 20 Mpg in the 60 mile drive up and back.

OP lives in SC which has the lowest gas taxes in the south. GA is in the middle.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Before anybody attacks me for talking about fuel economy. I am no longer in California. Gas here is like $2.30 per gallon for 93 octane. I have no problems with paying for the gas, where I lived it was +$3.75 for REGULAR.

Im not complaining about the MPGs. I just don't understand how this is rated at 14/21 16 combined MPGs and I am getting 10 MPGs lol. I expect it when I drive crazy but like it stays at 10-11 regardless of my driving habits which I guess is a good thing. 11MPG isn't bad for 'aggressive' driving. I just wonder how they got those numbers from testing because I am way off lol.
What year is your car?
When driving 70-75 I get 24-25 with my 2019. It doesn't need to be said that mileage drops way down at the track, so what you get should depend on your right foot unless something is very different than my Shelby.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Thats pretty good.

I think they fixed that issue with the 6th gear in the later models. In my 2020 it says in sport whenever I put it in 6th and take it out of 6th gear.
I didn't think 6th gear sport exhaust was an issue but design to reduce noise (I think). Interesting that they ditched it

IainD90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Iain
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R #KR666, 2023 Bronco Sasquatch
I managed 23.5 to 24 MPG on a 1 hour trip near my cottage up north, where I had my cruise control at around 55MPH. It was a horrifically boring drive and I don't recommend it, but it is possible. And yes I did the return trip in the same fashion so elevation wasn't really a factor.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
What year is your car?
When driving 70-75 I get 24-25 with my 2019. It doesn't need to be said that mileage drops way down at the track, so what you get should depend on your right foot unless something is very different than my Shelby.
I have a 2020. Interesting are you getting those numbers from doing the math yourself are you reading what it says in the trip gauge? That could probably be my problem, I am reading inaccurate information.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I have a 2020. Interesting are you getting those numbers from doing the math yourself are you reading what it says in the trip gauge? That could probably be my problem, I am reading inaccurate information.
It looks like most here are quoting the figures the cars computer is displaying.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
When cruising along at 70-75 in 6th gear I think the best I got was 24.6. But even driving in mixed conditions that include getting on the gas some I get 20. I'm not sure what's going. I use 91 Shell and my car has about 2300 miles one it. Everything is stock except the oil cans. They are Ford performance.
I have been on the track and these cars can really drink gas when you push them so maybe some of it is if you wanted to see what your best can be you have to really go easy on the gas, and that is not what we want to do with such a great sounding car. I mainly wanted to see because it drives me nuts that they charge a gas guzzler tax on performance cars and don't do it across the board.
One last thing, everyone knows the numbers shown on new cars for highway miles is low, people were to unable to understand highway miles is highway only, so the government had to include a lower highway number so people would quit calling and complaining that the advertised number is to low.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
When cruising along at 70-75 in 6th gear I think the best I got was 24.6. But even driving in mixed conditions that include getting on the gas some I get 20. I'm not sure what's going. I use 91 Shell and my car has about 2300 miles one it. Everything is stock except the oil cans. They are Ford performance.
I have been on the track and these cars can really drink gas when you push them so maybe some of it is if you wanted to see what your best can be you have to really go easy on the gas, and that is not what we want to do with such a great sounding car. I mainly wanted to see because it drives me nuts that they charge a gas guzzler tax on performance cars and don't do it across the board.
One last thing, everyone knows the numbers shown on new cars for highway miles is low, people were to unable to understand highway miles is highway only, so the government had to include a lower highway number so people would quit calling and complaining that the advertised number is to low.
Iā€™m thinking the advertised numbers are to high, right?

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Iā€™m thinking the advertised numbers are to high, right?
The reason I replied to this post is I can easily do better that the window sticker milage. They changed a couple years ago and no longer advertise a highway ONLY milage number. Many people complained before because they did not understand the concept of highway mileage. Highway milage is you pull off the interstate and fill up, then get back in the interstate and cruse at highway speed. That's when I can easily get 24 MPG.

Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
The reason I replied to this post is I can easily do better that the window sticker milage. They changed a couple years ago and no longer advertise a highway ONLY milage number. Many people complained before because they did not understand the concept of highway mileage. Highway milage is you pull off the interstate and fill up, then get back in the interstate and cruse at highway speed. That's when I can easily get 24 MPG.
and "highway speed" is much lower than most people think as well. Set the cruise at 55mph and see what you get.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
and "highway speed" is much lower than most people think as well. Set the cruise at 55mph and see what you get.
That's a good point. I don't think it would be possible to go that slow for any length of time.:facepalm:

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
EPA tests are done in an attempt to get the best reasonable mileage possible from my understanding.
I think your right. Every car I have can do better if I do my highway test after filling up and only drive on the interstate. Example traveling to another state.

From Edmonds:
The EPA rating for combined mpg presumes that we drive 55 percent of the time in the city and 45 percent of the time on the highway. Most people simply assume that's the case in their own driving. But many motorists ā€” especially those in urban regions with lots of traffic congestion ā€” spend far more time driving in city conditions than they do on the open road.

Bob S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Package
I've averaged 19.6 mpg in just about 29,000 miles of driving my 2016 GT350 Tech Pack car. This is my measurement, not the trip computer's. Mostly suburban driving, but with some highway thrown in. The best I've ever gotten was 21.9 mpg, which was an almost-all-highway tank of fuel. This is my only car, so I drive it pretty much everywhere. Obviously, I drive it pretty conservatively because I want to keep it for a few more years without problems. I'm frankly amazed that a 526-hp car can get almost 20 mpg in regular daily driving.
Sponsored