The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
On our group (Mustangs Unleashed) we had a member and myself work together to create a list of some of the most common security measures you can take to protect your stangs... i've copied it below:

Car security
Cars are stolen in one of five main ways, starting with the most common and therefore least risky method these are;
1) Relay theft - a device is used to obtain the signal from your car key and pass it over a distance of up to 100m to your car. Works through walls, doors, glass
2) Breaking the drivers window and programming a new key to the car via the OBD port
3) Breaking and entering the premises to locate the car keys
4) Car jacking
5) Using a tow truck
Security is about making your car harder to take than the next one, it’s not about making it impossible to steal. Effective security comes through the use of multiple methods or layers. Some common options employed by the wider Ford and keyless car communities are
1) Faraday pouch. Blocks the signal from your car keys preventing relay theft. Circa ÂŁ6.
2) Move the OBD port. OBD ports can be easily reached from a smashed drivers window. Relocate your OBD port so it is not within reach of the window, this can be done for free. For an added deterrent you can fit a dummy port, some are powered so to the thief it looks like they have the real port but it’s faulty. Circa £20 & 20 minutes to do.
3) Disclok. A weakness of most steering wheel locks is they don’t cover the whole steering wheel and therefore by cutting the steering wheel itself the lock will be removed in a couple of seconds. A disclok covers the whole steering wheel and makes a noise to remove. A major benefit is this is a visual deterrent and will help deter thieves looking to do a relay attack or re-program a key via the OBD port. The bag and protective cover are highly recommended. Circa £120 for a size small disclok.
4) Clutch or Brake pedal lock. A device which locks onto the pedal to prevent the car being started in the first instance, less visual than a disclok but slightly harder to cut off due to the confines of a footwell. ÂŁ10 upwards, seconds to fit.
5) Driveway post. A post which stands up vertically from the ground creating a barrier between your car and the open road. Various prices plus installation in the ÂŁ200-ÂŁ300 mark
6) Fuel cut off switch. Works by putting the switch hidden out of sight, may not even be in the passenger cell of the car. The switch cuts the power to either the fuel pump or the engine management system. ÂŁ50 upwards from a reputable auto electrician.
7) Immobiliser. There are several available. Autowatch Ghost is a highly recommended immobiliser, this requires a unique PIN to start the car and the PIN is inputted through the various switches already on the car (window switches, cruise control switches etc) circa ÂŁ400 for this option. Pandora and Clifford BlackJax are other recommended immobilisers with various levels of cover including anti car jacking features. Various prices.
8.) No Throttle Maps. Works by re-programming the throttle not to work thus preventing the car from being driven away. Available from certain reputable tuning companies, requires discussion with the tuner directly on how these work.
9) Tracker. This is an area to do some research on before investing. Thieves are often equipped to either block a tracker signal or find the tracker in the car and remove it. Some trackers require activation once the car is stolen, therefore it could be too late to activate before you realise the car is missing. Various prices including annual renewal fees.
10) Gap insurance. Should the worst happen Gap insurance will bridge the difference between what your insurance company pays out and what it costs to get you back to where you were with either a replacement car or financially. Car Dealers are often expensive so shop around, be careful to read up on the different types of cover offered and choose the right one which suits you best. Also available for second hand cars as well as new ones.
-------------------------
If you would like to thank the creator you can do so here:
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Hey Steve, IIRC you have a “no-throttle map” on your car, right? Did you have Adam do it for you?

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
any time :) i am totally the wrong person to say that to
Oh dear! Manders what have you gone and done?

David (Hinch) is correct - totally the wrong guy to say that to!:facepalm:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ooh so we will see a race, then a fight? I'm in for that :punch:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Oooh! Road trip!

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Oh dear! Manders what have you gone and done?

David (Hinch) is correct - totally the wrong guy to say that to!:facepalm:
I've made a post about cars security because people have been asking about it, and some f**k wit decides to try and be funny mocking my car saying "my engine is a no throttle map" zzzzzzzzzzzz boring, GFY.

I'll say it to anyone, doesn't bother me who they are or think they are, i'll happily lose and eat my words or win and mince you with mine, until you actually take a car to a track you just look like a div. So point stands; Race me.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Before we stray further off topic, back to the OP.

Thanks Manders - it is useful stuff. I'll employ some of these methods for sure, it'll help me sleep better at night at the very least!

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I agree - back on topic - sorry for stirring too many emotions! :handshake:

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I agree - back on topic - sorry for stirring too many emotions! :handshake:
No emotions stirred here lad.

Anyway, what i'll do with this post is if anyone has relevant security measures for their cars (that aren't totally stupid like putting the car inside of a bank vault) i'll add it to the list so future owners/anyone viewing can see some security measures that can be taken to protect their vehicle.

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
:like: @Manders Mustang - good job

re the DiskLok - I've seen reports online of them "denting" (for want a a better description) the top of the steering wheel, even if they have the optional Disklok cover on

Anyone here running a DiskLok and have any observations? I should point out I've got a GT350 steering wheel rather than the Factory Supplied one, I guess I should be more worried about the motor being nicked than a small dent in the steering wheel, but then I know full well that we all take great pride in the appearance of our cars.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
:like: @Manders Mustang - good job

re the DiskLok - I've seen reports online of them "denting" (for want a a better description) the top of the steering wheel, even if they have the optional Disklok cover on

Anyone here running a DiskLok and have any observations? I should point out I've got a GT350 steering wheel rather than the Factory Supplied one, I guess I should be more worried about the motor being nicked than a small dent in the steering wheel, but then I know full well that we all take great pride in the appearance of our cars.
It's amazing how infuriating a small dent/mark/scratch in an otherwise smooth steering wheel becomes when driving, however as you say the major worry should be someone making off with the car...

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
It's amazing how infuriating a small dent/mark/scratch in an otherwise smooth steering wheel becomes when driving, however as you say the major worry should be someone making off with the car...
Turn it 90 degrees so the top bar with the locking pin in it is vertical next to the centre console rather than horizontal across the top.
Sponsored