Sponsored

Second Screen Addition (My Latest addition)

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Just wanted to show off my latest "mod", if you could call it that. Mounted up a cheap Galaxy A6 (~$90 open box at best buy) that I got just for the purpose of having a dedicated car tablet. Used the Scosche Magic Mount with the large plate stuck to the back of the tablet, and am thoroughly impressed at how well it holds. Short of a collision the tablet shouldn't be going anywhere. Also like that I can very easily swap the tablet direction between landscape and portrait mode as desired.

Running primarily torque-pro but have been looking to see if anything better is out there as I don't think torque pro has been updated in a while. Sometimes on long trips I will run it as second GPS screen using Google Maps, while I run Waze on the Sync screen courtesy of android auto.

If anyone has any other ideas of what I could use it for or knows of any better alternatives to Torque-Pro (Paid or Free) let me know.

SecondCarScreen.jpg
Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Nice.

I am trying to find out how to use my older Samsung Pro 12" tablet now that I bought a Galaxy Tab 12 Pro.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hmmm...

Can you use it as a forward facing camera to record as you drive?

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm...

Can you use it as a forward facing camera to record as you drive?

[MENTION=13960]Cobra Jet[/MENTION] I haven't checked to see what the camera position would look like in the landscape position but in portrait it would probably be high enough to act as a cheap(ish) and dirty dash cam if that's what you were thinking? I don't know of any apps that would work that way but I have to imagine they are out there. It also should be a stiff enough mount to semi-accurately capture G-forces, which I believe is what triggers some dash cams to auto-save the last X-minutes of video. My biggest concern with that is it's only maybe an 8gb tablet and a good chunk of that is taken up by the OS so I would probably have to use an SD card to get any decent length of recording. Plus the camera on it leaves a lot to be desired haha.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice.

I am trying to find out how to use my older Samsung Pro 12" tablet now that I bought a Galaxy Tab 12 Pro.

[MENTION=15779]z06psi[/MENTION], you could probably just get the same type of mount I got. I just simply has some 3M-type tape to stick it to whatever surface you want in the car. Then you stick an included metal plate with 3M-type tape onto your device. Then there is just a strong magnet in the mount and the surface of the mount is rubberized to prevent the device from spinning. I was worried the magnet mounting method was going to be too weak for a tablet but it is actually a lot stronger than I expected. unless that 12" tablet is a good bit heavier I would guess it would work just fine as long as the metal plate was exposed like mine is (vs the alternative of placing it inside of a case). If aren't familiar with the mount check it out online and it should make more sense: Scosche Magic mount. Just make sure you get the one that has the larger of the metal plates.

Sponsored

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Your doing something close to what I am thinking about doing. Except I was thinking of removing that top center dash panel and recessing it a bit by modding the plastic. I am over my Tomtop so it is the 10.2 or a tablet fabrication.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like that would be pretty nice if I am imagining it right. I don't have the confidence in my skills (or plans) to do any "destructive" type mods (yet) such as tearing apart the dash or modifying the OEM plastic. So everything I've done has been fairly easily reversible.

Any ideas for other useful apps, other than Torque, Maps, and maybe a dash-cam type app? Only other thing I can think to use it for is music but I always just use my phone and run android auto (largely since AA combined with the 6MT eliminates my desire to text and drive). :thumbsup:

One thing I will add about this Scosche magic mount is that I got it as Cosco over the weekend. They had a pack for ~$30 IIRC that came with the car mount, another suction cup based mount marketed for home/office (desk) use. and 4 of the metal plates you stick to your devices, 2 large (tablets) and 2 small (phones). I believe there are cheaper equivalents from other brands but I impulse bought it since I knew if it didn't work for my tablet I could return it all easily at Cosco. I had already tried a different mounting method, rigging up a cheaper tablet mount from amazon to my gopro mount/base but was not happy with the results.

Your doing something close to what I am thinking about doing. Except I was thinking of removing that top center dash panel and recessing it a bit by modding the plastic. I am over my Tomtop so it is the 10.2 or a tablet fabrication.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve heard the Waze app is really good for identifying radar speed traps or current locations of local Police setting up for speed traps.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I’ve heard the Waze app is really good for identifying radar speed traps or current locations of local Police setting up for speed traps.
It is but I use Waze on my Sync3.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea its quite good, I run it almost every time I drive, but using android auto on the Sync 3 screen, unless I am just going to the grocery store around the corner or something. My GF and buddies give me crap because I will pull it up even if I know exactly where I am going just to watch out for cop and even just to give me an idea of traffic. It is basically my free "radar detector". I have found (at least where I live) it usually shows cops where there are none (anymore) maybe 1/4 of the time and almost never is missing existing cops unless I am the one watching them pull into their hiding spot (in which case I mark it for the next waze user to see who comes along). The only place I have had a bit more instances of unidentified speed traps is out in the mountains or rural places where the roads just aren't as busy or service is shitty.

Sponsored

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Gee I thought it was only for reporting hazards. Like slower traffic around where police have speed traps. :lol:

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That makes it look like a Mercedes!

I find the Mustang's screen a bit too low on the dash. But I've noticed that with Fords in general. Most newer cars these days seem to have it up over the top of the dashboard.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That makes it look like a Mercedes!

I find the Mustang's screen a bit too low on the dash. But I've noticed that with Fords in general. Most newer cars these days seem to have it up over the top of the dashboard.
Thanks! Yea I am really enjoying the mount I got since it's kinda low profile. Only thing that is kinda a bummer is the tablet is so cheap that the screen polarization on it is perfectly opposite my sunglasses in landscape orientation so I have to put it in portrait orientation if I am wearing them. Otherwise though it works quite well.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Thanks! Yea I am really enjoying the mount I got since it's kinda low profile. Only thing that is kinda a bummer is the tablet is so cheap that the screen polarization on it is perfectly opposite my sunglasses in landscape orientation so I have to put it in portrait orientation if I am wearing them. Otherwise though it works quite well.
I've seen that happen with Heads Up Displays too. The polarizations aren't compatible.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen that happen with Heads Up Displays too. The polarizations aren't compatible.
Damn I'd be pissed if I just got a new Vette And the heads up display disappeared every time I wore my favorite subject glasses haha
Sponsored