Sponsored

Second gear hiss on a Mach 1 with Tremec?

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 2022, Subaru Forester 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a Euro spec Mach 1 with the Tremec transmission.

I love every bit of the car. The engine, chassis, and transmission are absolutely phenomenal.

I did notice, however, that there is an audible hiss when accelerating in second gear. Barely noticeable in first gear, as well. It sounds like an air intake, but a bit mechanical.

I went to the dealer and they said that this is specific to the Tremec, but we don't get lots of 5.0 Mustangs here, not to mention something like the Tremec. (most Mach 1s sold are automatic).

So I thought I'd ask fellow owners. Is it normal for the Tremec to have this kind of hissing sound?

Warm regards from Europe guys.

Bonus, a pic of the beast.

IMG_20220806_183507.jpg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where does the hiss sound come from ?

If it’s kind of behind the lower dash trim, that’s how I might describe the sound tube - before I disconnected it … :like:

Does the Mach have a sound tube ?

WD :like:

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just in case you have heated and cooled seats ... I had an annoying hiss too, which finally went away when I switched off the seat cooling.

(Sorry if this isn't related to your issue.)

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Just in case you have heated and cooled seats ... I had an annoying hiss too, which finally went away when I switched off the seat cooling.

(Sorry if this isn't related to your issue.)
Yes the heated and cool seats do make noticible air noise.

OP try to get us a recording of the noise and isolate the location so we can help you more. recommend putting the exhaust in quite mode to do this.

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
So the sound is definitely not from the cooled seats. It only happens in second gear, only when pressing the gas pedal, especially between 2 and 4k RPM. The sound is muffled by the engine growl, but I think it's coming from the engine. At least it seems that way, it's very hard to pinpoint.

Putting it in quiet mode I think also reduces the sound, but I'm not 100% sure. The car is currently at the dealership so I can't check.

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I did notice, however, that there is an audible hiss when accelerating in second gear. Barely noticeable in first gear, as well. It sounds like an air intake, but a bit mechanical.

I went to the dealer and they said that this is specific to the Tremec, but we don't get lots of 5.0 Mustangs here, not to mention something like the Tremec. (most Mach 1s sold are automatic).

So I thought I'd ask fellow owners. Is it normal for the Tremec to have this kind of hissing sound?
Welcome to the club :wink:. You might want to read this thread and the thread which it references:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022-mach1-grinding-when-accelerating.178197/

It seems that export cars with Tremec are showing this behavior. I wonder if @Esset has anything to say as he was actively looking into it recently.
If it’s kind of behind the lower dash trim, that’s how I might describe the sound tube - before I disconnected it … :like:
It is directly related to the trans and comes from there. I do not believe that Mach 1 has a sound tube. It happens (mostly) only in the 2nd gear when accelerating and probably could be characterized as "grinding" (as mentioned by @Bambo).

wonder if it isn t that famous RATTLE everyone hears? Mine may do it in 2/3rd but trying to pin point that it may only be on a cold engine. I wouldn't t worry too much about it. It s a mechanical car, it won t be silent. It s very hard to hear and pin point.
Is it? I thought all the different sounds you guys experience state side where something else...

Just to add: The identifying behavior is how the sound changes when you push the stick slightly to the side (either left or right), when in the 2nd gear.

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the club :wink:. You might want to read this thread and the thread which it references:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2022-mach1-grinding-when-accelerating.178197/

It seems that export cars with Tremec are showing this behavior. I wonder if @Esset has anything to say as he was actively looking into it recently.

It is directly related to the trans and comes from there. I do not believe that Mach 1 has a sound tube. It happens (mostly) only in the 2nd gear when accelerating and probably could be characterized as "grinding" (as mentioned by @Bambo).

Just to add: The identifying behavior is how the sound changes when you push the stick slightly to the side (either left or right), when in the 2nd gear.
Yup, they seem to describe it perfectly. I didn't push the stick sideways at all so I can't confirm that but yes, they describe the same thing I'm experiencing.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Does it change whether the car is warm, hot, or cold?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I did notice, however, that there is an audible hiss when accelerating in second gear.
Does the Mach have a sound tube ?
I have a Tremec and am still very much learning the car.

I haven't noticed a hiss as described. Going out again tomorrow AM, I'll listen more intently and report back.

Correct, the Mach 1 does not have a sound tube.

The Race Red looks great BTW.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nockiefla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT-350
I have a Tremec and am still very much learning the car.

I haven't noticed a hiss as described. Going out again tomorrow AM, I'll listen more intently and report back.

Correct, the Mach 1 does not have a sound tube.

The Race Red looks great BTW.
I would have your dealer check to make sure that the shifter assembly (linkage) is adjusted correctly. I had a recall on my 19 GT350 which had the Tremec because it would grind a little sometimes going into 2nd gear. They replaced the entire shifter assembly on that car. My 22 Mach 1 Tremec is perfect. No issue like that whatsoever.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
just recheck my USA car and no noises at all. The shifter really can t even be moved while in the gear. No play at all. FYI

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I had a non-Mustang with a Borg-Warner (nee Tremec) T56 and after installing a short throw shifter it would sometimes, in some gears, have a quiet hiss from the interface between the shifter and transmission. Everything else was good so I ignored it.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
It's not a Cobra hissing, is it?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
The shifter really can t even be moved while in the gear. No play at all. FYI
It does not really move much, it is more like applying a pressure to the side changes the intensity of the sound.
I had a recall on my 19 GT350 which had the Tremec because it would grind a little sometimes going into 2nd gear.
The sound is there when in gear and pulling. Going into the gear is fine.
Sponsored