Sponsored

School me on Fuel Pump Duty Cycle

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So I’ve done some big searches here and on the net but really haven’t found anything real informative.

Maybe some misinformation as well.

What are good values on my nGauge for fuel pump duty cycle? I’m using a BAP as well, so will this skew the numbers? One site said to take the number and double it but that really doesn’t make sense. My logs show it, but it’s 0 then has been 79 under WOT. Looking at my old NA logs it showed ~29 then 49 under same conditions with out a BAP.

Just trying to learn and make sense of it.

Thought I’d ask here as there are some REALLY smart self tuners here than understand this sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

battleship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
So I’ve done some big searches here and on the net but really haven’t found anything real informative.

Maybe some misinformation as well.

What are good values on my nGauge for fuel pump duty cycle? I’m using a BAP as well, so will this skew the numbers? One site said to take the number and double it but that really doesn’t make sense. My logs show it, but it’s 0 then has been 79 under WOT. Looking at my old NA logs it showed ~29 then 49 under same conditions with out a BAP.

Just trying to learn and make sense of it.

Thought I’d ask here as there are some REALLY smart self tuners here than understand this sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance!
If your monitoring FP duty cycle via the ngauge the value is half of the total. So 49.9% is actually 100%. If your running a BAP ( I run a DW400 with a Kenne Bell BAP) and my value goes right to 49.9 once the bap kicks on. This is due to the fact that you are wiring in series to your ckt 30 wire going into the fuel pump control module. the module sees the input voltage spike and displays an actual value of 100% remember that the fuel pump, assuming it's factory is control via PWM. ( pulse width modulation ) fancy term for variable voltage as there is no return in the fuel system.

If your not using BAP take the reading at face value and that's your fuel pump duty cycle. Me personally I like to keep it under 90% for some wiggle room. if your hitting 49% without the BAP, then you are basically out of pump. I feel the more accurate PID to watch is fuel pressure.. If your beating on it hard and fuel pressure is dropping pretty constiantly, then you are probably out of pump... hope this helps.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
If your monitoring FP duty cycle via the ngauge the value is half of the total. So 49.9% is actually 100%. If your running a BAP ( I run a DW400 with a Kenne Bell BAP) and my value goes right to 49.9 once the bap kicks on. This is due to the fact that you are wiring in series to your ckt 30 wire going into the fuel pump control module. the module sees the input voltage spike and displays an actual value of 100% remember that the fuel pump, assuming it's factory is control via PWM. ( pulse width modulation ) fancy term for variable voltage as there is no return in the fuel system.

If your not using BAP take the reading at face value and that's your fuel pump duty cycle. Me personally I like to keep it under 90% for some wiggle room. if your hitting 49% without the BAP, then you are basically out of pump. I feel the more accurate PID to watch is fuel pressure.. If your beating on it hard and fuel pressure is dropping pretty constiantly, then you are probably out of pump... hope this helps.
Thank you.

Yes it certainly does help.

I’m running stock pump with a BAP. So what I’m seeing then is when it goes to 49.9 that the BAP has “engaged” or increased voltage. I’m not sure what the threshold is as far as when it’s coming on as far as boost PSI or load, but it’s obviously working. No issues with tune or how it’s running at all. STFT are great and lambda holds steady to redline with no drop off. No knock at WOT and is consistently -7 give or take 1. Just trying to find a way to easily monitor fueling to hopefully catch it before anything negative happens. In order to monitor fuel pressure do I need a separate fuel pressure sensor and then plug that in the nGauge to monitor that PID?

On my logs, would the numbers be the same as through the nGauge PID or would they be different? Logging through the nGauge though. Interestingly enough, the logs show differently than what my PID shows...

thanks again!

much appreciated

battleship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
you are correct, when the BAP activates you will see the duty cycle go to 100% ( 49.9 on the gauge) I like to activate my BAP AT a 1/3 of the total boost pressure you are running. So if your running 10psi a good starting point is roughly 3-4 psi. this is the fuel system time to get ready for the added power and it will ramp in as boost increase. you should already have a fuel pressure pid in the ngauge and that is reading fuel pressure directly from your vehicle via the fuel pressure sensor. data is transmitted over CAN and ultimately ends up on your gauge. also make sure you have FW326 for your ngauge. this is the latest FW(firmware) with all the Ford pids. if your still questioning your fueling, you need to do a log simulating a dyno run. do a run in 4th or 5th from say 2500 to 6000 or so and see where your at....

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
you are correct, when the BAP activates you will see the duty cycle go to 100% ( 49.9 on the gauge) I like to activate my BAP AT a 1/3 of the total boost pressure you are running. So if your running 10psi a good starting point is roughly 3-4 psi. this is the fuel system time to get ready for the added power and it will ramp in as boost increase. you should already have a fuel pressure pid in the ngauge and that is reading fuel pressure directly from your vehicle via the fuel pressure sensor. data is transmitted over CAN and ultimately ends up on your gauge. also make sure you have FW326 for your ngauge. this is the latest FW(firmware) with all the Ford pids. if your still questioning your fueling, you need to do a log simulating a dyno run. do a run in 4th or 5th from say 2500 to 6000 or so and see where your at....
Thank you very much. Not concerned about it, but just to keep an eye out for anything if you know what I mean. I’ll have to check my firmware.when did the new update come out?

Do you know the PID for fuel pressure?

Thanks again.

Sponsored

battleship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Thank you very much. Not concerned about it, but just to keep an eye out for anything if you know what I mean. I’ll have to check my firmware.when did the new update come out?

Do you know the PID for fuel pressure?

Thanks again.

FLP should be your fuel pressure pid ..

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
FLP should be your fuel pressure pid ..
I updated and rescanned. Still don’t have the FLP PID. Would be nice to monitor fuel
Pressure. Anyone else know the PID for fuel pressure or been able to find it?

Thanks!

battleship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
I updated and rescanned. Still don’t have the FLP PID. Would be nice to monitor fuel
Pressure. Anyone else know the PID for fuel pressure or been able to find it?

Thanks!

Let me do some digging and get back with you
Sponsored