Sponsored

Sales 3rd qtr 2019

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Remember, you asked. :frown:

According to the book The Complete Book of Camaro: Every Model Since 1967, the name Camaro was conceived by Chevrolet merchandising manager Bob Lund and General Motors vice president Ed Rollett, while they were reading the book Heath's French and English Dictionary by James Boïelle and by de V. Payen-Payne printed in 1936. In the book The Complete Book of Camaro, it states that Mr. Lund and Mr. Rollett found the word camaro in the French-English dictionary was slang, to mean friend, pal, or comrade. The article further repeated Estes's statement of what the word camaro was meant to imply, that the car's name "suggests the comradeship of good friends, as a personal car should be to its owner".[11] In fact, the actual French word that has that meaning is "camarade," from which the English word "comrade" is derived,[12] and not "camaro"; "camaro" is not a recognized word in the French language.
Thanks Bikeman315. Did not know any of that. I wonder how many Camaro guys know that. Interesting you are from South Carolina. A guy told me once that a Camaro wrapped around a telephone pole was the state bird in North Carolina.
Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Makes me ask: How did Chevy ever come up with Camaro?
The name never drew me in. Like what is a camaro?
The name camaro is just as stupid as the company it comes from:cwl::crackup:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The name camaro is just as stupid as the company it comes from:cwl::crackup:
No company is perfect. I give you the Mustang II. A gussied up Pinto. At least Chevrolet never stooped that low.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Well, say hello to my new $63K 707 hp grocery getter. Yep, $63K was the negotiated price. $11K off.
IMG_6621.jpg

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess I am moving onto the Hellcat forum until I trade it in on a 2022 GT500.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will still poke around on here for sure. Good group on here.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Our tail lights are $1000/a piece. Headlights are slightly more.

There's nothing cheap on any of these cars, which is a large reason why insurance premiums are high.
true but my Challenger tail lights were giving me random issues within 3 weeks of buying the car and the dealership couldn't seem to ever duplicate the issue. all of the Mustangs I have had that were equipped with LED lights have been flawless so far.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Here's to stooping low. I got your Pinto, right here baby!

pinto1.JPG
pinto2.JPG
pinto3.JPG
pinto4.JPG
pinto5.JPG
You can put a healthy V8 in a Pinto too....just saying. The Mustang II has more in common with the Vega than the Camaro of that era.
I'm not brand blind - I mean loyal. Every manufacturer has had its issues. I personally didn't care for the Fox Bodies or other Mustangs. I've owned a '17 and currently own a '19 GT. Only other Mustangs I'd really want to own are 67-68 Fastback, 69 Fastback, 65-66 Fastback and occasionally I start looking at 71-72 Mustangs.

All personal preference of course, but 67-69 Camaros - especially RS cars with hideaway headlights are sharp cars. 2nd Gen F-Body's are great looking cars until safety regs started screwing with the front bumpers in '75....and even then the Tran Ams were sharp.

It's apples to oranges comparing new Camaros or Mustangs to classic versions. That being said - I'd love to build an early Maverick with a Coyote and a 6 speed.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Whaattt? Challenger out sold the Mustang.
It doesn't matter. Ford makes more off each Mustang sale than Fiat does off every Challenger. [/Camaro owner is spirit]

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
You can put a healthy V8 in a Pinto too....just saying. The Mustang II has more in common with the Vega than the Camaro of that era.
I'm not brand blind - I mean loyal. Every manufacturer has had its issues. I personally didn't care for the Fox Bodies or other Mustangs. I've owned a '17 and currently own a '19 GT. Only other Mustangs I'd really want to own are 67-68 Fastback, 69 Fastback, 65-66 Fastback and occasionally I start looking at 71-72 Mustangs.

All personal preference of course, but 67-69 Camaros - especially RS cars with hideaway headlights are sharp cars. 2nd Gen F-Body's are great looking cars until safety regs started screwing with the front bumpers in '75....and even then the Tran Ams were sharp.

It's apples to oranges comparing new Camaros or Mustangs to classic versions. That being said - I'd love to build an early Maverick with a Coyote and a 6 speed.
I am going to stay with Mustang II topic. Introduced in 1974 Ford sold 385,993 Mustang II in 1974. It had no major recalls. Ford used (unlike GM) virgin rolled steel and it had no corrosion history. In the last sales year, 1978, Mustang II sold 192,410 units. Ford put the 'healthy V8' in the Cobra II. Pictured is the T-Top King Cobra appearance package. It was built one year, 1978, and slightly under 4400 were made. The Cobra II had the Boss 302 engine that was in the 1970 Sport Roof Mustang and dozens of other fast Fords and Mustangs. Is 2800 pounds with a Boss 302 and Tremec 3550 5 speed MT stooping low? The Cobra II was the first Mustang to wear the 5.0 badge. As a response to the 1973 Arab oil embargo many Mustang II were bought with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The Mustang II was built for the market that existed in it's day. The Mustang II always get's knocked because the 4 and 6 cylinder units were not up to the reputation Carol Shelby, Steve McQueen, Parnelli Jones, A J Foyt, Mario and a dozen other guys who raced them created. That does not make Stang II a bad car. People loved them and they were still running around this town into the 1990s. I bought a Chevy Van in 1975 in S California. By 1978 it had fender and rocker panel rust that just pissed me off. It never rains in San Diego. How did that happen? Knock the Mustang II as you and others may, by today's sales standards, it would take GM eight years of Camaro sales to equal Mustang II sales in just 1974. Forget about it!

Last edited:

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I am going to stay with Mustang II topic. Introduced in 1974 Ford sold 385,993 Mustang II in 1974. It had no major recalls. Ford used (unlike GM) virgin rolled steel and it had no corrosion history. In the last sales year, 1978, Mustang II sold 192,410 units. Ford put the 'healthy V8' in the Cobra II. Pictured is the T-Top King Cobra appearance package. It was built one year, 1978, and slightly under 4400 were made. The Cobra II had the Boss 302 engine that was in the 1970 Sport Roof Mustang and dozens of other fast Fords and Mustangs. Is 2800 pounds with a Boss 302 and Tremec 3550 5 speed MT stooping low? The Cobra II was the first Mustang to wear the 5.0 badge. As a response to the 1973 Arab oil embargo many Mustang II were bought with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The Mustang II was built for the market that existed in it's day. The Mustang II always get's knocked because of the 4 and 6 cylinders units were not up to the reputation Carol Shelby, Steve McQueen, Parnelli Jones, A J Foyt, Mario and a dozen other guys who raced them created. That does not make Stang II a bad car. People loved them and they were still running around this town into the 1990s. I bought a Chevy Van in 1975 in S California. By 1978 it had fender and rocker panel rust that just pissed me off. It never rains in San Diego. How did that happen? Knock the Mustang II as you and others may, by today's sales standards, it would take GM eight years of Camaro sales to equal the units sold of Mustang II in 1974. Forget about it!
AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE :crackup::cwl:
Sponsored