Sponsored

S550's Platform "All New" ?

KZStang

[ame]

Q: New Mustang, all new platform right?

A: A lot of people think maybe it was an evolution from the existing platform but actually there is nothing on this thing that resembles the existing platform except for the actual wheelbase, the 107". Everything else is all-new, all the sheet metal, everything, the track width, you name it, it's all brand new for this machine.

Q: So not even a carryover part on the chassis?

A: There might be a bolt or a nut somewhere, but no, it's all brand new.

[ame]

“We had to re-engineer the floorpan and some of the front suspension pick up points… It’s a full new platform.”

“We had certain hard points and size of vehicle in mind and we had a certain view of the balance we wanted in modernizing the vehicle…. Proportions are so key in any vehicle you do….”

Working in clay:
“We did free up the constraints for the team… allowed them to go wider, allowed them to really push the vehicle down…. Then when we saw that... we go back to some of the engineering we already started and re-do it to the proportions that are really gonna work”

- Lowered the hood by 1.3”
- Lowered the rear deck by 2.8”
- Roofline by 1.5”
- 1.6” wider
- Lowered belt-line to improve visibility
- Interior space and headroom has increased

“We designed the platform from the beginning with an independent rear suspension.”

(**I understand some of this is not really platform specific but it is related)
Sponsored

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
And don't worry too much about the 2015 model. It's truly more of a refresh than an entire platform change like the new Stingray.
Besides motor and transmission, what else is the same? Seems like more than just a refresh like 2011 was.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Besides motor and transmission, what else is the same? Seems like more than just a refresh like 2011 was.
Somewhere there is a thread regarding a lot of the changes. I thought that most of the significant changes were for the IRS, the body mounting points in the engine bay and the roofline. I'll search for it later when I get home.

OP
OP

GTsquid

And don't worry too much about the 2015 model. It's truly more of a refresh than an entire platform change like the new Stingray.
Oh really? I'll trust the chief engineer instead. Some people let the styling and wheelbase fool them into thinking this is just a refresh. I don't buy it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21057#post21057

Q: New Mustang, all new platform right?

A: A lot of people think maybe it was an evolution from the existing platform but actually there is nothing on this thing that resembles the existing platform except for the actual wheelbase, the 107". Everything else is all-new, all the sheet metal, everything, the track width, you name it, it's all brand new for this machine.

Q: So not even a carryover part on the chassis?

A: There might be a bolt or a nut somewhere, but no, it's all brand new.

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Oh really? I'll trust the chief engineer instead. Some people let the styling and wheelbase fool them into thinking this is just a refresh. I don't buy it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21057#post21057
Keep in mind that this is someone who is trying to sell the new car.
The floor pan and other structural parts of the unibody probably have some carryover parts underneath. Sure, the suspension is new but most of what they are putting in the new car has been tested on other platforms. The V8 is modified but much of it is upgraded from the prior version. The 2.3L EB is going to be in the Lincoln SUV.
It's not like they've never done this before. But just like with buying anything else, the next version will be better. That will never change.

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
The floor pan and other structural parts of the unibody probably have some carryover parts underneath. Sure, the suspension is new but most of what they are putting in the new car has been tested on other platforms. The V8 is modified but much of it is upgraded from the prior version. The 2.3L EB is going to be in the Lincoln SUV.
It's not like they've never done this before. But just like with buying anything else, the next version will be better. That will never change.
There's always some carryover. It doesn't make any financial sense to reinvent the wheel on every single part. When talking about whether it is a new platform, motors don't count. In fact, if it did, indications of the Trinity not fitting (without mods) actually help prove that it is a new platform. If all that was left behind from the S197 is the floorpan it is certainly deserving of the all-new title, more so than the SN95 was despite the arguably bigger departure in aesthetic styling.

stable68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
If you guys watch the video that twin turbo posted in the photos/videos section you will see that this car is an all new platform from the ground up. They clearly state that the floor pan and all sheetmetal is all new. This platform was built from the ground up, nothing was based on the design of s197 like some people on here would still like to believe. The only carryover parts are the engines and transmissions along with some nuts and bolts as stated by ford.

OP
OP

GTsquid

Yea I understand a good deal of it is marketing, but it always is. For every mfg and car. As seen in the last video even the floor pan has been modified and they said they had to decide on the hard points and size of vehicle..... that wouldn't even be a consideration if it was just carried over from the S197.

Rob

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Even if Ford took what they liked and what worked about the S197 platform and evolved that into the S550 platform it's still a new platform. UOP Shadow brings up the C7 Vette. I've seen the C7 Vette platform in person without any body panels or interior components attached and while it is in fact an all new platform it also has a lot more in common with the C6 platform than is different. The same could be said about this S550 platform. It wouldn't be unusual for Ford to incorporate aspects of the S197 chassis that worked and that they liked. In fact it would only make sense to do that. At the same time, that doesn't make this just a refreshed S197. The fact that they had to figure out an all new suspension geometry in itself makes this platform vastly different. So yes, it may be somewhat the same but its also very different and there's nothing wrong with that. That's how all car companies operate and with good reason, it works.

My God I'm defending the S550 and I don't even like the car. lol

Sponsored
OP
OP

NRMStand

One thing is for sure, it is not a "warmed over S197" or "simply an evolved S197" like some people have been repeating over and over again with no proof other than the fact that Ford happened to decide the current Mustang's wheelbase would work for the new car.

And while we're at it, this is also no CD4.XX

OP
OP

WRC

It's more all new than I thought it would be thats for sure. I didn't think they'd be redesigning the floorpan or any hard points from looking at the mules.

A big question is which other vehicles are going to share this platform. They had to have designed it with a mind to how it could accomodate future planned vehicles. I'm thinking that's why the wheelbase stayed the same. A four door S550 has to be in the works, whether it is branded Ford or Lincoln.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It's more all new than I thought it would be thats for sure. I didn't think they'd be redesigning the floorpan or any hard points from looking at the mules.

A big question is which other vehicles are going to share this platform. They had to have designed it with a mind to how it could accomodate future planned vehicles. I'm thinking that's why the wheelbase stayed the same. A four door S550 has to be in the works, whether it is branded Ford or Lincoln.

In the video they make it a point that the Mustang is the only current RWD car platform. It could be that way for a while, who knows.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A four door S550 has to be in the works, whether it is branded Ford or Lincoln.
Just to clarify, S550 is the program, not the platform name. There will be future vehicle that shares the new Mustang's platform. Look for it around 2018. As the program becomes more official soon we'll start to hear more about it.

OP
OP

WRC

Thanks Jar. I wonder if the platform itself will take on some sequence of the alphanumeric ones Ford already has, CDX, DXC, etc. Altho if they are dubbing this all new the platform name will probably be all new as well.
Sponsored