S550 Trade in for S650?

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
So was wondering with the announcement of the S650 right around the corner what features, specs, creature comforts would you guys need in order to trade in your S550 in for one? What features would keep you away? Apologies if this is the wrong site to post this question but since it related to the S550 thought I'd ask here.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
To trade up I would for sure need more horsepower and/or less weight, neither of which I think is even a remote possibility.

A definite turn off would be additional complexity in any form whatsoever, ie, technology present to later accommodate a hybrid drive system, etc.

Youā€™ll notice I didnā€™t mention styling. Itā€™s common and almost expected in American cars that new-generation stying makes the generation itā€™s replacing look dated and stale. I think this has been particularly true with the S550 cars. To me, while many older Mustangs are pretty in their own right nothing comes close to the beauty of the S550. It has a timeless graceful attractiveness about it that puts it squarely in the camp of some of the most gorgeous GT cars ever created. There is a design ethic these days that has newer cars looking more crisp and angular, not unlike Transformers. This trend just doesnā€™t blow up my skirt. To see what I mean just compare a C8 to a C7. We donā€™t know yet, but by definition I donā€™t see the S650 being prettier than the S550.

Iā€™m likely adding a second Mustang to the garage in the next year or two but Iā€™d be surprised if it were an S650.

OP
OP
Velocityblue5oh

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
To trade up I would for sure need more horsepower and/or less weight, neither of which I think is even a remote possibility.

A definite turn off would be additional complexity in any form whatsoever, ie, technology present to later accommodate a hybrid drive system, etc.

Youā€™ll notice I didnā€™t mention styling. Itā€™s common and almost expected in American cars that new-generation stying makes the generation itā€™s replacing look dated and stale. I think this has been particularly true with the S550 cars. To me, while many older Mustangs are pretty in their own right nothing comes close to the beauty of the S550. It has a timeless graceful attractiveness about it that puts it squarely in the camp of some of the most gorgeous GT cars ever created. There is a design ethic these days that has newer cars looking more crisp and angular, not unlike Transformers. This trend just doesnā€™t blow up my skirt. To see what I mean just compare a C8 to a C7. We donā€™t know yet, but by definition I donā€™t see the S650 being prettier than the S550.

Iā€™m likely adding a second Mustang to the garage in the next year or two but Iā€™d be surprised if it were an S650.
Defenitly agree with you on the styling of the S550, Which is one of the main reasons I chose this car out of the big three for me. The styling to me compared to the challenger, charger, camaro, supra, and various other cars spoke volumes. It really stands out and is an intimidating looking car.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What would make me trade would be:

1. lighter weight
2. More power
3. Tremec instead of Getrag tranny - manual only
4. They gear manual for max performance and not fuel economy. I would rather pay the guzzler tax and poorer fuel economy than leave something on the table like they did with the S550
5. PP2 like package - I love my PP2.
6. a bigger gas tank

that is a lot to ask for. Things I would like to have but will not make me swap are:
1. wireless Apple CarPlay
2. USB-C ports
3. bigger trunk space
4. Shorter extension beyond the front tires - would make daily drivability getting in an out of aprons and ramps easier.
5. Manual only packages - you want them, you have to drive a stick!
6. Ruby Red metallic - great color for the car.

What would stop me from buying it at all:
1. Hybrid or battery only
2. No manual option
3. Must offer metallic paint especially in Red or Blue (not a purple blue) color. If neither exists, then no deal.
4. No exhaust note or if that exhaust note sounds like a ricer.
5. No two door option
6. If they keep calling the Mach-E a Mustang!!

Last edited:

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
Significant weight loss is a must. The mustang has become a fat girl. 3500lbs in a fully loaded car would be great.

500 crank hp would be nice.
Sponsored