Sponsored

S550 track ready?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You're missing out on the significant improvements in feel and confidence arising out of fixing the various problems with the IRS. Fix Ford's screwup in the diff bolt hole, and align+brace the IRS and you're out about $200 to $500 and you will appreciate the improvement even as you drive to the grocery store.

The $70,000 GT350 has all the same chassis pathologies as that of the 20 thousand ecoboost which is crying shame.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I appreciate the help. I used to drive a 2012 Civic Si. I overhauled the suspension with the best parts and did basic bolt ons. I tracked it. I miss that thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the S550. I just miss it.

Anyways, my GT is a 2016 basic. No power packs. Just the 305 tires in the rear and 255 for the front due to the previous owner.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Short answer : No :)
Long answer. It depends all abput your "speed at the roadcourse"
The fastest you go the more you will need
Overheating is a real issue with people with good pace.
Oil
Trans (if auto)
CHT
Diff

All tends to overheat with 20mins session

Then with increasing of confidence speed will increase. So
Better and bigger tires
Better brakes(be sure you have the 6piston in the front )
Then sky isnthe limit :) have fun and be safe.
Feel free to PM anytime.
Alex
Basic
IMG_20191225_185153_990.jpg

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
What is track ready exactly? I mean you could take any stock car to a track and it will last, right? Whatever the definition is, are the S550s considered track ready straight out of the factory?

I am going to say nope. The PP2 is better suited but if you want a track car you need to build it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Some sporty stock cars with low enough weight and power can be driven on track without too many changes - but they are the exception, not the rule. My Porsche 944 didn't get hot on track, but it had 150 something HP when new and it weighs 3,000 lbs. Mustangs are a lot heavier and more powerful. They get hot. AFAIK the rear differential is the first component that will cause a power reduction, but it can also be engine oil temperature. If you do something to keep the engine and diff cool, the transmission is the next in line.

My opinion is only the GT350 and GT500 are ready for road course use off the showroom floor. The PP1 and PP2 are close - depending on which road course and how you drive. For a professional driver they will get hot quickly.
Overheating diff seems to be the biggest problem as you say. UK testers managed to get theirs cooking in 3 or 4 laps pretty consistently.

It depends what you want to do with it - odd track days for a few laps at a time will be fine, but anything more and all the road car compromises will kick in. To be fair it is the same for most road cars - to make them great on a track they will be pretty unbearable on the road.

Sponsored

Lala_2.3T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
I just took my 19 GT 6MT to Watkins Glen. It was so damn fun! I'm stock except a CAI and H-pipe. Changed brake fluid to Motul 600. My baby stayed strong the entire time, and I pushed pretty hard with max speed at 115. The only thing that suffered were my stock brake pads. Didn't realize they were that gone, drove home to VA, and scored the rotors.. So updating pads and rotors now. Worth it.

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
Your car is not going to blow up if you drive it around a track, but there's lots of things that I would say need to be done to an S550 GT to make it generally suitable for extended road course track use:
  • Larger radiator
  • Increased hood ventilation both for cooling and to reduce upforce
  • Carefully considered coolant - water, water wetter, Nano Cool etc.
  • Hood pins (the forces on the hood are insane at high speed, and you do NOT want it to pop open)
  • Differential cooler
  • Possible transmission cooler (auto) or air scoop (manual)
  • Larger front (and possibly rear) brakes
  • Longer lasting brake pads
  • Some sort of air diversion/ducting to the front brakes
  • Change brake fluid to high temp fluid
  • Change oil to heavier weight and ideally full synthetic base stock to make sure it lasts the session
  • Wider tires in a stickier, more track suitable tire
  • Camber plates and more negative camber to balance tire wear and handling
  • Possible safety equipment as required/prudent
There's lots of other things that can be done to help you go faster. These things are to stay safe and maintain your capability on the track longer with less risk of damaging the car.

Last edited:

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I just took my 19 GT 6MT to Watkins Glen. It was so damn fun! I'm stock except a CAI and H-pipe. Changed brake fluid to Motul 600. My baby stayed strong the entire time, and I pushed pretty hard with max speed at 115. The only thing that suffered were my stock brake pads. Didn't realize they were that gone, drove home to VA, and scored the rotors.. So updating pads and rotors now. Worth it.
Is that a performance pack Gt...and dont reply in 3yrs please lol..

Lala_2.3T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Is that a performance pack Gt...and dont reply in 3yrs please lol..
Nope not PP. Just a GT Premium. Of course it would be great to mod more to make it stronger and more reliable on the track.. But just saying the car felt strong on the track as is, minus the pads... I will definitely do more before going again... The pads felt strong for 5 rounds but definitely felt the wear by the 6th round.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Nope not PP. Just a GT Premium. Of course it would be great to mod more to make it stronger and more reliable on the track.. But just saying the car felt strong on the track as is, minus the pads... I will definitely do more before going again... The pads felt strong for 5 rounds but definitely felt the wear by the 6th round.
Unfortunately pads won't fix your issues.
The normal GT has the infamous reverse rotors.
The reverse rotors pick air from outside instead on inside.on the outer part there is virtual zero air and your rotors will become extremely hot.
You need to find " normal" rotors first. (Like The gold one in the pic)
After that you can go with different pad.
If you get serious ob track you need (must..) To upgrade to perf pack brakes...
A note
A 2 piece rotors will cost you more
But will bring a lot of benefit. Way more lighter way more air cooling.
If you upgrade to perf pack cobsoder them as an option (fronts are around 1000$ both)
Feel free to ask anything.
Alex
20200518_115202.jpeg
20190624_130023.jpg
IMG_20200713_134008_962.jpg

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Way more lighter way more air cooling.
could you perhaps quantify 'way'?
/jk

OP Mustang sells a brake kit, and you can of course get the FP package. Sometimes there are good deals on Ebay (Shelby/Roush take-offs) or on the forum.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
could you perhaps quantify 'way'?
/jk

OP Mustang sells a brake kit, and you can of course get the FP package. Sometimes there are good deals on Ebay (Shelby/Roush take-offs) or on the forum.
10 lbs lighter each.
Girodisc 2 piece is a master piece. Great resistance to wearing. (You can do Many track days on them ) and I've noticed 100f less then oem perf pack rotors ( probably 200-250f delta with the NON PERF PACK)
Hope this help.
Screenshot_20200720-080026.png
Screenshot_20200720-075955.png

Lala_2.3T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Sweet thanks for all the info! Yeah I'm upgrading the rotors too.. Just saying that the pads are what we're obviously effected. Makes sense that the rotors were the main culprit.

Lala_2.3T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
I had so much fun at the Glen.. I can't imagine how much better it will be with some more upgrades. I went on the stock Nero all season tires too haha...

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Sweet thanks for all the info! Yeah I'm upgrading the rotors too.. Just saying that the pads are what we're obviously effected. Makes sense that the rotors were the main culprit.
You re welcome.
If you change pads with more track oriented without changing the rotors you may end having the same issue and also wasting the new pads.
Now
If you just started
Your speeds are of course still not exaggerated. Which is good for the brakes too :)
But once you get faster and faster
Brakes are the first thing you want to work :)
Have fun and be safe!
Sponsored