S550 Lithium Ion Battery

mustanghini50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
H
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang gt Roush
Has anyone tried a Li-Ion Battery on their Mustang 2015+? I found these units. One seems to have high enough CCA but the other i think is too low.

Prospect 1: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...Y1Y_7FbcvF6v0Jhae2WCV3Q2726n34H8aAqqcEALw_wcB

Prospect 2: https://www.lethalperformance.com/fathouse-fabrications-s550-skeleton-light-battery-kit.html

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking to replace the OEM battery with one of these for daily drive use and weight reduction purposes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mustanghini50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
H
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone tried a Li-Ion Battery on their Mustang 2015+? I found these units. One seems to have high enough CCA but the other i think is too low.

Prospect 1: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...Y1Y_7FbcvF6v0Jhae2WCV3Q2726n34H8aAqqcEALw_wcB

Prospect 2: https://www.lethalperformance.com/fathouse-fabrications-s550-skeleton-light-battery-kit.html

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Looking to replace the OEM battery with one of these for daily drive use and weight reduction purposes.
Found this one too, Might be the better choice:
Prospect 3: https://www.fathousefab.com/product/name/s550-light-battery-kit-anti-gravity-no-catch-can

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OP
OP

mustanghini50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
H
Vehicle(s)
I HAVE to get this! If anyone here has purchased it, please post some feedback and tell us your experience using a lithium battery. At 4 pounds 6 ounces this is too good to pass up.
Right? That's why i posted it. I want it too. Will see if someone else has any exp with this. If not i'll probably buy it in a week or so. And will let you know.

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
Is it really worth $750? I can think of better ways to spend that money starting with suspension.

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is it really worth $750? I can think of better ways to spend that money starting with suspension.
Well, it's $750 for both the battery and the mount, right? So, it's kinda a one time purchase. When it's time to replace the battery again, the lithium battery alone shouldn't be more than $450, no? Given a standard battery runs about $140-$165 I think the weight savings is worth the extra $300 or so bucks.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Have you considered using seach ? Not trying to be mean, but there is several threads about lightweight batteries, Antigravity (which I have) included. They used to have their rep on the forum (not anymore).

My experience with it is that the BMS system in the car can't charge it correctly so it will eventually get discharged - need a charger at home to make sure it is full.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My experience with Anti Gravity.
Was about $800 total.
This battery was absolutely incompatible with the Ford BMS system.
Battery would overcharge, throw a disable code and then just shut down.
Played havoc with the car electronics. Was interesting driving around with dead digital dash and blank center stack!!

Went through a few days of diagnostics with AG. No joy.
They gave me a full refund.

Great customer service, but it just didn't work on my 16.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more interested in the Braille battery offerings (cause I have a coupon). I wonder if they charge correctly with the BMS?

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Have you considered using seach ? Not trying to be mean, but there is several threads about lightweight batteries, Antigravity (which I have) included. They used to have their rep on the forum (not anymore).

My experience with it is that the BMS system in the car can't charge it correctly so it will eventually get discharged - need a charger at home to make sure it is full.
$750 for a savings of 30lbs which the directions states, has to be trickle charged for a car which sits a "few" days at a time with a lithium charger, ouch. My car usually sits 4-5 days between drives. And $40,000 for 742whp on 93 octane. They must have people lining up to demand that price. But, I'm glad performance shops are doing good in these hard times.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I looked - I have H5 automotive battery from AG (24 Ah) - it is the same size as OEM battery, just slightly taller, weighs 8.5lb and does not throw any codes or anything. But clearly it is not getting charged correctly by BMS - it does have a restart system and it may have worked by I had car in the garage so just charged it - now I do it regularly.

Overall, it's not a seamless OEM replacement. If you're looking for weight reduction because it matters to you - it's an easy button that works. If you drive on the street and just want a lighter car or have put a 100 or so lb supercharger on top of your engine, would spend money elsewhere.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My experience with Anti Gravity.
Was about $800 total.
This battery was absolutely incompatible with the Ford BMS system.
Battery would overcharge, throw a disable code and then just shut down.
Played havoc with the car electronics. Was interesting driving around with dead digital dash and blank center stack!!

Went through a few days of diagnostics with AG. No joy.
They gave me a full refund.

Great customer service, but it just didn't work on my 16.
Do you by chance remember exactly which model of Anti Gravity lithium battery you had? The reason I ask is because the ones with their "re-start" feature were the ones that were incompatible with Mustangs. Since then, they have come out with a newer model that doesn't use that feature.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it was a model with a jump start feature.