The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I'll go out and check mine in a minute, i must say i've not noticed any rust..

As for the hinge covers Gibbo have ones for the locking mechanism on the door (both sides) cheap mod from Aliexpress, but doesn't cover the hinges...

If you want to, penetrative spray and paint over it to keep it from rusting even more so (Or you know, have a go at ford if a load of us have them painted!)
Sponsored

OP
OP

angry343

A17GRY
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Many thanks for the advice rang Ford and sent pictures believe it or not still waiting for a reply from Ford will take your advice and do it myself! Put my deposit down on Saturday for the 18 Mustang 5.0 hope the new one is better!
Probably not the customer service though!

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I painted mine from new with supertrol and then covered them :

AEF8-CF1-F-7-AAD-4822-B671-F49-DD50-A60-C0.jpg

151-F2898-6427-4-B91-B59-C-BABFEE335-B05.jpg

DDDA56-E0-C37-C-494-B-9-B0-E-6-DD89-A9-C8-C43.jpg

CF6-FC730-3-C46-4-F7-C-A998-98433-FDF4-EFA.jpg

WD :like:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed a few bits of rust on bare metal and bubbling under the paint along the bottom of the door
:crying:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All noticed this when cleaning the car weekend both drivers door and passenger door rusted hinges! called ford and sent pictures still awaiting a call back anybody else had this?
Rusting Door Hinges.JPG

Really called the dealer, what about a shot of oil ? Wonder how quick you will be getting a response ?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i had slapped some grease on the hinges last year but aye should look at them again properly when it stops raining

Sponsored

nikkolaus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nikkolaus
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Same with mine... Took delivery of mine in Nov 2016... I live in VA, which isn't necessarily a particularly rainy state, and I'm about 70 miles from the nearest salt water area.... nothing that should cause any issues.... Brought it up to the shop guys and they said basically there was nothing they could do to replace it under the full warranty unless there was "perforated metal" .. i.e. .. unless it's falling apart with holes in it....
IMG_20190601_053254.jpg

IMG_20190601_053247.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the door check, does not look like the hing, cannot tell? Pulled out of that hole, if mine I would treat it & the hings with some WD, contol it, brass wire brush the oxidization.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I've noticed a few bits of rust on bare metal and bubbling under the paint along the bottom of the door
:crying:
My GT recently had it's second annual service.
Part of which was a body & paint inspection.
I was told the inspection is part of Ford's 12 year body corrosion warranty.

Based on that recent explanation, I'd have a chat with your Ford service provider, if I were you.
See if you can get the problem corrected by Ford.

Is that the door check, does not look like the hing, cannot tell? Pulled out of that hole, if mine I would treat it & the hings with some WD, contol it, brass wire brush the oxidization.
It's the Check Arm fixing bracket to the A pillar lower.
The corrosion is disappointing and unsightly, but not the issue it would be if a hinge itself, was corroding to that extent.
All OEMs cut costs wherever possible, esp in locations they think the owner won't look or notice.

I wish Ford had included the Check Arm linked, rear edge of door protectors, you get on the Focus!

Last edited:

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
I think you're mixing up hinges and check straps. The check straps are to stop the door hyper extending and are usually an easy fix. Given that they shouldn't rust I understand your complaints and the fact that in some parts of your country the weather can be extreme ( not that Sydney is not going through its own weather drama at the moment ) but my mechanic usually lubes them at every service and barring that if you are worried some spray lube grease should prevent rust incursion. Short of replacing bad ones with new units that are well coated before fitment there is not a lot that can be done. If its anything like here you are better off doing it yourself as the dealers tend to fix one problem whilst causing 5 more.

JonF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Auto
My driver-side door hinge/strap (not sure which - the one in the middle) has been rusty since about Year 2! Also v creaky. Have used WD40, but will look into Fluid Film spray. thanks for the tip...
Sponsored