Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion Titanium
Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features.
No offense sir, but as everyone has said, y'all should have said that right from the get-go. Would have saved everyone a lot of grief.
Sponsored

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
R&T are reporting similar porcine figures, today.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/this-is-why-the-2015-ford-mustang-will-be-heavier

Maybe NOW the realization will FINALLY dawn that the S550 IS the raw material for a Lincoln Sports Sedan that MUST meet the structural capabilities of the other Entry Level Luxury models (Audi-BMW-Cadillac-Lexus-Mercedes et al). It therefore will weigh as much as those cars do. And, with Mustang's pricing strategy, there's not much in the costing formula left to yank out the weight in pedestrian models.

"2-300 lb. less" was the mantra. Apparently, less is MORE.
Check the curb weight on the current and next M3 coupe. You could hope the Mustang could achieve those weights.

Or look at the ATS. Not all cars are heavy or get heavier every year.

leftywayn

Past Mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
I too had been planning a new Mustang purchase anticipating it would be somewhat lighter. I am now reconsidering, and will not be as eager if the lb's are significantly higher.

People from Ford made it known over the last year or so that this car would weigh less, making it very desireable. Now maybe not so much.

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
If my girlfriend told me she was gonna go on a diet and lose a few lbs....then came back a few months later 100 lbs heavier, id be pretty dissapointed.

But in the end.....id still ride the hell out of it and enjoy what I had :)

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Check the curb weight on the current and next M3 coupe. You could hope the Mustang could achieve those weights.

To be fair, the M3/4, current and former, make more use of materials like aluminum and carbon fiber, the latter of which is not cheap, and the prices reflect that.

Sponsored

GTsquid

People from Ford made it known over the last year or so that this car would weigh less, making it very desireable.
They didn't. If they did, we wouldn't all be wondering if it gained weight and you would continue to hear Ford repeat that it lost weight. Some people need to stop repeating this crap since it simply never happened, as much as we all wish it were true.

leftywayn

Past Mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
They didn't. If they did, we wouldn't all be wondering if it gained weight and you would continue to hear Ford repeat that it lost weight. Some people need to stop repeating this crap since it simply never happened, as much as we all wish it were true.

It is CLEAR, and OBVIOUS, that hints were spread in the media that this car would be LIGHTER.... Anyway you slice it... It Is a Dissapointment.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Correct. The only things that have been promised officially are a global car (including right hand drive for market like the UK, Japan, and Australia), a more powerful 5.0L V8, and the Ecoboost 4-cylinder. Weight has never been officially mentioned.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
3900lbs would be way too much for the EB. That would be sad sad sad news. That will truly be a pig with the HP and Torque. It would be a monster at close to 3k pounds though.

Looks like I will be sticking to my plan. I really don't see how the GT PP isn't going to weigh less then it is now. My guess it puts on 250lbs. That is like riding around with an NFL linemen..at least it will be muscle weight;)

Sad sad indeed.

I am sticking to the EB.

Does the S550 at least have a one piece aluminum drive shaft? That 2 piece metal shaft shouldn't be on a modern sports car.

GTsquid

It is CLEAR, and OBVIOUS, that hints were spread in the media that this car would be LIGHTER.... Anyway you slice it... It Is a Dissapointment.
The media is not Ford. If you believed media rumors and feel misled, you have no one to blame but yourself (and the media). Not Ford.

Sponsored

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
If my girlfriend told me she was gonna go on a diet and lose a few lbs....then came back a few months later 100 lbs heavier, id be pretty dissapointed.

But in the end.....id still ride the hell out of it and enjoy what I had :)
yea but i'd sure be looking at a lease instead of own. then i'd be looking at camaro or C7.

carguy1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Those were 'insider reports'. All unofficial.

PowerUp

Threads
Reaction score
They don't base @ mid-$20s, do they?

Ford is moving from the very pedestrian S197 platform (cheap, and therefore light: log axle, needing X-brace for consistent handling [BOSS LS]) to a platform with up-market intent (read: Lincolnesque). Up-market means up-cost. But you can't compete with the aforementioned without a significant structure. At the Lincoln price point, weight reduction may be possible. At mid-$20s for secretary versions, who cares, and who'd be willing to pay?!

Less is MORE, in more ways than one.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Road & Track claims an insider told them the Mustang GT Premium will gain 250 lbs, the Mustang GT Base will gain 170 lbs, and the Ecoboost & V6 versions will gain 50-70 lbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.