Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
On what planet? Care to revise your statement, sir?
https://carsalesbase.com/us-ford-taurus/
350,000 units/yr for 15 years seem like it might have been just a tad popular. The Mustang is a sales turd by comparison.
Yes years and years ago Taurus was selling well. So was the Crown Victoria. How have Taurus sales been doing recently? Do you think there's a reason why Ford stopped building them?

Capture.JPG
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
At one time Taurus sales were so strong it was the best selling sedan in the country, even better than the Camry.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
So you actually DO want a Crown Victoria/500/Taurus with a Coyote engine, it sounds like. That's fine, and maybe there are lots of others like you. The Crown Vic with the 4.6 was probably under-powered for people who like some speed. Possibly that's why Ford had trouble selling them and stopped making them years ago. Maybe you are right and with the right name, styling and if they offer enough power more people will like it. If you put a blower on the Coyote in a big, boaty 4 door version of the Mustang, it would make the Crown Vic similar to a Hellcat Charger, which some people like.

I personally don't like big, boaty cars. I think Torino is a better name than Mustang for a mid-size car as well. It doesn't bother me if Ford makes a big 4 door for people like you who always loved the Crown Vic and wish it would be brought back.

Buy a Taurus then. That's another 4 door Ford car. They do offer models with twin turbo V6s that make good power. Oh yeah, but the Taurus didn't sell well. Not too many people wanted them.

I wouldn't buy a 4 door "Mustang" no matter how much power was available.
first off, the taurus is no more...
Second, did you ever test drive one? I did, both the SHO and the Lincoln version. It was FWD biased and had a massive amount of torque steer on it. Put your foot on the gas and the steering wheel twists in your hands. Now go compare that to a BMW x drive vehicle and you will see the difference between them.

I really wanted to buy a Ford, but they didn't have a good car at the time.

If you want to know why people will buy a German sedan but pass on an American one, go test drive a few (and not the base models). They are better constructed, better designed, and engage the driver. I am not looking for something to get me from one place to another, but a car that I enjoy driving and the Taurus, Fusion, etc were not it. If the Chevy SS had come out one year prior, I would have bought that instead...

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'm just waiting for the name "Mustang" to be to Ford what "Genesis" is to Hyundai.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The thunderbird was not a crown vic and neither is a 3 or 5 series. Honestly, that's what I would like the most, a personal cruiser that had enough room for a full sized adult in the back.

Yes, I would prefer 4 doors, even without kids. Makes it easier to get the 4 footed kids to the park and the vet, and my garage has a post in the middle of the bays making a 2d hard to get in and out of by itself without worrying about dings. That said, I am not opposed to a 2 door, I've had 3 of them in the past.
I stick my 4 leg pets in the trunk lol. A small cage. I put the seat down.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
first off, the taurus is no more...
Second, did you ever test drive one? I did, both the SHO and the Lincoln version. It was FWD biased and had a massive amount of torque steer on it. Put your foot on the gas and the steering wheel twists in your hands. Now go compare that to a BMW x drive vehicle and you will see the difference between them.

I really wanted to buy a Ford, but they didn't have a good car at the time.

If you want to know why people will buy a German sedan but pass on an American one, go test drive a few (and not the base models). They are better constructed, better designed, and engage the driver. I am not looking for something to get me from one place to another, but a car that I enjoy driving and the Taurus, Fusion, etc were not it. If the Chevy SS had come out one year prior, I would have bought that instead...
I've never driven any year of Taurus. I'm not interested in big 4 door cars like that.

I believe you that a BMW that probably costs twice as much was better to drive, though. Common sense would tell me that. Typically Fords are meant to be the less expensive option and some compromises come with that. I think there are some good things about BMWs, but they usually don't give you as much for your money.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
That's easy. Ford can make a variant of the Fusion that has 400+ hp. No need to name it "Mustang" when it's a souped up Fusion.
Fusion is gone too. It stopped production last year. Mustang is the only car that Ford makes.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Fusion is gone too. It stopped production last year. Mustang is the only car that Ford makes.
True. But we are talking future possibilities. Possibility 1: Make a 4-door Mustang. Possibility 2: Add HP to Fusion. Either would be a change to the status quo. 2 makes more sense than 1 (in my humble opinion).

Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
So you actually DO want a Crown Victoria/500/Taurus with a Coyote engine, it sounds like. That's fine, and maybe there are lots of others like you. The Crown Vic with the 4.6 was probably under-powered for people who like some speed. Possibly that's why Ford had trouble selling them and stopped making them years ago. Maybe you are right and with the right name, styling and if they offer enough power more people will like it. If you put a blower on the Coyote in a big, boaty 4 door version of the Mustang, it would make the Crown Vic similar to a Hellcat Charger, which some people like.

I personally don't like big, boaty cars. I think Torino is a better name than Mustang for a mid-size car as well. It doesn't bother me if Ford makes a big 4 door for people like you who always loved the Crown Vic and wish it would be brought back.

Buy a Taurus then. That's another 4 door Ford car. They do offer models with twin turbo V6s that make good power. Oh yeah, but the Taurus didn't sell well. Not too many people wanted them.

I wouldn't buy a 4 door "Mustang" no matter how much power was available.
Taurus was the wrong car for two reasons: It wasn't available with a RWD V8. I almost bought an SVO but after thinking about it, I didn't want a turbo 6 or AWD.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Taurus was the wrong car for two reasons: It wasn't available with a RWD V8. I almost bought an SVO but after thinking about it, I didn't want a turbo 6 or AWD.
ID

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IDK, that turbo I6 in the Supra looks like a killer motor. Its underrated stock (and sounds awesome) and a simple tune adds 80-100hp. Plus it gets better mileage. I just have to decide if I want a true sports car with limited options or a muscle car like the Challenger with better looks, colors and options (and more practical as a DD), but limited mod potential and worse gas mileage.

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
IDK, that turbo I6 in the Supra looks like a killer motor. Its underrated stock (and sounds awesome) and a simple tune adds 80-100hp. Plus it gets better mileage. I just have to decide if I want a true sports car with limited options or a muscle car like the Challenger with better looks, colors and options (and more practical as a DD), but limited mod potential and worse gas mileage.
The B58 is a BMW engine and it's absolutely amazing. It's in the Supra, the BMW M340i and any other BMW*40i car. Besides, the sportier version is the S58 which can be found in the M3 and M4. It's good for 510+HP.

However, we already have that in the M3 / M4 or in the Supra on a smaller scale. What we don’t have is a V8 that drives well, has great looks, modern features and doesn’t cost a fortune.

I’ve never driven a Challenger so I don’t know about its features or how they drive but in terms of look I prefer the Mustang over any other competitor.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the look of the Challenger, but they have their trim quirks like the Mustang. I like the front end of the WB, but the fender flares look weird to me from some angles. The 1320 is the quickest and best value, but you can't get color in the interior or the brass monkey wheels like in a loaded regular scat pack. You are right, the Supra is a bit pricey for the premium trim (still no cooled seats), but they did just add a 1.5k discount. Btw, do you know anything about the 400z? Looks interesting too and should be cheaper than the Toyota. It is supposed to have a turbo V6 good for 400hp from the Infinity Q60.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.