Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I just hope they don't do what they are doing with the 2 door F150.
nobody buys one of those to begin with except as the cheapest possible option - for run-around duty for contractors and parts-supply distribution. Trucks are just tall luxury cars now with price tag to match. You're lucky the 2-door comes in more than one color: white, and has even a FM radio in it. (ed. yes, I'm overstating it a tad)
Sponsored

Last edited:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
nobody buys one of those to begin with except as the cheapest possible option - for run-around duty for contractors and parts-supply distribution. Trucks are just tall luxury cars now with price tag to match. You're lucky the 2-door comes in more than one color: white, and has even a FM radio in it.
Not really accurate. Many people buy the 2 door RCSB F150 as an alternative to the Mustang when they need to haul things or tow. It is sad that the options are severely limited. Most people just add upscale interiors and trim to the XLT's themselves.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
ohhh yeay. Lol my memory...
I spent time benchmarking E46 vs LS and I cant recall exactly when the LS w rear section cut out showed up (DEWlite?). Ford leaned on us hard to get the LS to compare to a BMW. You can change tire construction, but suspension geometry and bushings are still key.
Rode along some on X5 testing in 1998. 130 mph yaw damping tests with 1/4 turn violent steering inputs on 5 lane wide oval. Before hans devices... Funny, 20 yrs later have an X5M as a daily. Wish Ford would grab a new X6M and use it as benchmark for a TURBO V6/V8 MachE style extended 4 door MachGTX.(yeay even heavier, lol)
Yes Id pay $110k for it.
I already offered X5M use at COTA to a Ford friend, but he says not yet and they sounded busy at Ford and Im assuming also at Rivian.
I test drove a Lincoln LS in 2003 after my Thunderbird was rear ended at a stoplight by a truck. It was a very sunny 78 degrees and the air conditioning unit could not keep that car cool.

Sorry, but if you live in greater Chicagoland, you need both good heat and good AC. I ended up with a Lexus GS430, which was a great car.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
No doubt the 2-door will still be there, along all the other cars bearing the name Mustang. I guess my humble point of view is that if everything is a Mustang then a Mustang is nothing. Impossible to be all things to all people and still be special in any way. Appears Ford is exploiting the Mustang marque (theirs to exploit) to the detriment of the car's traditional significance (Mustang SUV, 4-door Mustang, Mustang wagon). Trending toward any Ford that is not a truck being a Mustang.
Go look at the ford.com website and you'll see Mustang and Bronco are now nameplates, sort of like Mercury and Lincoln but without a corresponding "Ford" version. It would not surprise me to see 3 or 4 Mustang and 3 or 4 Bronco nameplate vehicles each.

I suppose if they ever built a 4 door "Mustang" that had room like the Taurus, I'd think about buying it, it it had a V8.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, Iā€™m not as opposed to a 4 door Mustang as I am to the Mach-E because itā€™s much easier to make a sedan sporty and performance oriented than a damn crossover. But it at least shows that Ford is looking to split ā€œMustangā€ into its own brand and create a diverse portfolio out of it. But Iā€™m still not a huge fan. Iā€™d still much rather have the Mustang be itā€™s own standalone model based on a performance architecture designed to span an assortment of models the way that GM did with the alpha platform. I think it could present an excellent opportunity for Ford to bring some competitive sedans to the market and revitalize the Lincoln brand as a serious luxury competitor rather than just a bunch of rebranded Fords

I still donā€™t understand why Ford refuses to bring the Falcon name back to America. Itā€™s not like the Falcon was ever regarded as a bad car, and the Australian Falcons were awesome
746A489C-A9BF-43B5-AF72-6FE18875FF5C.jpeg

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Personally, Iā€™m not as opposed to a 4 door Mustang as I am to the Mach-E because itā€™s much easier to make a sedan sporty and performance oriented than a damn crossover. But it at least shows that Ford is looking to split ā€œMustangā€ into its own brand and create a diverse portfolio out of it. But Iā€™m still not a huge fan. Iā€™d still much rather have the Mustang be itā€™s own standalone model based on a performance architecture designed to span an assortment of models the way that GM did with the alpha platform. I think it could present an excellent opportunity for Ford to bring some competitive sedans to the market and revitalize the Lincoln brand as a serious luxury competitor rather than just a bunch of rebranded Fords

I still donā€™t understand why Ford refuses to bring the Falcon name back to America. Itā€™s not like the Falcon was ever regarded as a bad car, and the Australian Falcons were awesome
746A489C-A9BF-43B5-AF72-6FE18875FF5C.jpeg
If they go for the brand and it looks like they will, what platform are they using for the S650?

Thanks to @amk91 I thought it would be common ā€œknowledgeā€ that the S650 would be built on the current platform, though heavily modifiedā€¦ Unless these modifications are indeed comprehensive they would have to build ā€œMustangsā€ on at least 3 platformsā€¦ Sounds a bit muchā€¦ Then again we have the Mach E and the Mach 1 that couldn't be any differentā€¦

I like new rumors about the S650 and Iā€™m desperate to see the first mule but the latest ā€œnewsā€ donā€™t really fit into the picture we were painting :D

I thought we would get some optical refreshments, a coyote hybrid and AWD (both optional) and maybe some updates interior-wiseā€¦

Now it looks like we get a V4 hybrid, V6 hybrid, manual Coyote, no V8 in Europe, some 4 door car(s) and maybe everything is built on different platforms. Oh and btw a former GM designer (15-20) might make the Mustang interior look like a ā€™21 Chevrolet Tahoe (https://images.cars.com/cldstatic/w...--dashboard--front-row--interior-22.jpg?w=750) or a ā€˜21 GMC Yukon (https://s3-prod.autonews.com/s3fs-public/6YUKONINTERIOR-MAIN_i.jpg) ā€¦ I would honestly rather stick with the current or have any other interior rather than that cr@p.

Weā€™ll see what the future holdsā€¦

cizzie000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
18 Ford Escape
a four-door mustang with an EcoBoost motor sounds weird lol, it seems like mustang is taking the same leap as Genisis in becoming a brand/manufacturer of its own. If they do make a mustang sedan they should definitely call it something else.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
CLIP

. Oh and btw a former GM designer (15-20) might make the Mustang interior look like a ā€™21 Chevrolet Tahoe (https://images.cars.com/cldstatic/w...--dashboard--front-row--interior-22.jpg?w=750) or a ā€˜21 GMC Yukon (https://s3-prod.autonews.com/s3fs-public/6YUKONINTERIOR-MAIN_i.jpg) ā€¦ I would honestly rather stick with the current or have any other interior rather than that cr@p.

Weā€™ll see what the future holdsā€¦
It depends on how "upscale" they want to keep the mustang. It's not a bad interior, especially compared to the Camaro and the Charger/Challenger.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All I know is the 'Mach E' is the polar opposite of a 'true' Mustang in every way, especially a manual one, so basically any imaginable configuration would fit between those 2 now :).

OP
OP

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
It depends on how "upscale" they want to keep the mustang. It's not a bad interior, especially compared to the Camaro and the Charger/Challenger.
That's true, the interior is not bad but that's about it. In addition, I think it is outdated and could definitely need an update.
I donā€™t expect BMW or Mercedes-like quality and features but some things should be optional, like a hud or a 360 camera. In Europe itā€™s at least a 60.000$ car and I would expect a certain amount comfortā€¦

There is already a section for ā€œwhat I wish for the S650ā€ but a new steering wheel and a complete overhaul of the center console would be much appreciated. Just donā€™t make it one large touchscreen ;)

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Personally, I prefer buttons, but I know some want touchscreens. That said...
I personally find that there are times I really want to turn off my display screen in my BMW, and my F350 (and I can in my F350), as the light can be distracting in certain conditions. I don't even want to speculate how bad it might be with something the size of an iPad or larger sitting in the middle of the dash. That and I can put my hand down to a start point (like the temp control) and then move my hands to the proper button, all without having to take my eyes off the road. It's much harder to do that with a touch screen. However, touch screens are lighter and more more configurable than physical buttons, so they should make the car cheaper and save weight as compared to traditional controls. Plus they can be updated and new features added or activated.

As for a HUD, does Ford even have one? Yes, I have had HUDs and I really like them. In fact, any car that I get that has one available for it, it becomes a must have option. That said, if the model want doesn't have it as an option, I am not going to go to a different model/brand to get one.

Last edited:

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
They already made a 4 door (actually 5 with the hatch) mustang. Itā€™s the Mach E. And itā€™s an SUV.

Real mustang is a 2 door 2+2.

no real market for a 4 door mustang sedan.
I hate to say it but theres probably more of a market for a 4-door than the 2-door. Mustang owners now mainly consist of enthusiasts. 4-doors will make it an option for daily driven family cars. All-wheel drive will make it 4-seasons, mustang attitude will make it desirable.

it'll probably outsell the coupe 10-1.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Go look at the ford.com website and you'll see Mustang and Bronco are now nameplates, sort of like Mercury and Lincoln but without a corresponding "Ford" version. It would not surprise me to see 3 or 4 Mustang and 3 or 4 Bronco nameplate vehicles each.

I suppose if they ever built a 4 door "Mustang" that had room like the Taurus, I'd think about buying it, it it had a V8.
Just looked at the site. Mustang and Bronco didn't appear to be presented as subsidiaries, like Mercury and Lincoln. Just appear to be links to two of their best sellers (Mustang and Bronco).

No doubt many people will by a V8 Taurus with a pony emblem, which is what it would actually be.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.