16V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
King
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
Hi All,
Been having this issue since day one. 2016 V6. Took it in and the dealer couldn't find a problem because of course the noise wasn't there while at their service center. So now it's getting worse.
This only happens once the car has been sitting for some hours. There is this rubbing sound only out of the rear and only when I turn. Then after first 3 to 5 mins. driving it stops.
So my theory is maybe the shocks are defective and compress while sitting. Then as I drive they charge up from the bouncing. Idk.
Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you checked the brakes to make sure the pads aren’t scoring the rotors (debris or worn pads)?

It’s possible it could be a rear wheel bearing assembly too, but when a bearing goes bad it’s usually noticeable when going into a turn and the car is leaning into that bearing OR when getting up to speed the noise increases with speed and you’ll hear and feel a slight “rumble” as well.

Check to make sure the tires are not rubbing on anything in the rear and make sure the rear brake hoses are not touching the back side of the tires.

Check the rear upper shock mounts for any movement.

dgtal36

KEVCITY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Have you checked the brakes to make sure the pads aren’t scoring the rotors (debris or worn pads)?

It’s possible it could be a rear wheel bearing assembly too, but when a bearing goes bad it’s usually noticeable when going into a turn and the car is leaning into that bearing OR when getting up to speed the noise increases with speed and you’ll hear and feel a slight “rumble” as well.

Check to make sure the tires are not rubbing on anything in the rear and make sure the rear brake hoses are not touching the back side of the tires.

Check the rear upper shock mounts for any movement.
Thanks for the reply. It’s weird because it only makes the grinding sound when I turn and accelerate. Either in reverse or forward. Sounds like it’s definitely coming from the rear. And it only does it when I have the clutch pressed in. I’m thinking it’s the driveshaft? But not sure how to diagnose.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Hi All,
Been having this issue since day one. 2016 V6. Took it in and the dealer couldn't find a problem because of course the noise wasn't there while at their service center. So now it's getting worse.
This only happens once the car has been sitting for some hours. There is this rubbing sound only out of the rear and only when I turn. Then after first 3 to 5 mins. driving it stops.
So my theory is maybe the shocks are defective and compress while sitting. Then as I drive they charge up from the bouncing. Idk.
Thanks!
Hello I have the same issues on a 2017 ecoboost. It is driving me nuts. I changed pads and rotors and it still makes a rumbling noise when in reverse or forward and only turning. Any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored

lamarellis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lamar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hi All,
Thanks!

I have this problem on a 2016 V6 as well. I changed a few things but I still have the issue. I upgraded to brand new 2020 stock 18" GT wheels and tires, installed new Powerstop rotors and pads, changed the diff gear oil, installed 4 wheel bearings and installed GT350 axles. The growling/grinding noise is more pronounced when I first start the car and when turning the steering wheel. I also have a ticking sound and I don't know know if its the front end or rear (I'm thinking front end). I don't know what else to check - shock mounts, steering rack, or driveshaft maybe??

dblcbra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350R, 2019 mustang Ecoboost, 2017 gt350(sold), 1996 xlt bronco (351), 1995 cobra, 1993 lx
Anyone ever get resolution for this? I'm having the same issue on my 19 Ecoboost. Sounds like it might be coming from the diff.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
You guys should change your diff fluid and make sure you use the right friction modifier.
Sponsored