Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Normal just get some Solvol autosol on it

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
That would piss me off big time. Should not be the norm at all imo.

I have just looked at mine (got a black finger and wipe mark on my jeans!) and they are fine. Yes they are stainless tips but black on the bit that yours is rusting on.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
The heat alone from the expelled exhaust gases should be enough to stop this kind of thing. I've never had a car, standard or otherwise, that the tips showed corrosion like this. My 11 year old Leon (gone for my Mazda), still had the original exhaust with no rust.

I've got the Borla Touring with black stainless tips, it's as new.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Normal just get some Solvol autosol on it
I appreciate that I can temporarily fix it with autosol or similar, but that will never be a permanent solution.

I was under the impression that these were stainless, and as such shouldnt rust... never mind after only 6m and about 9k miles.

Sponsored

bLuE_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not the same brand but when I had my m135i many owners had issues with tailpipes rusting/corroding, they were all replaced under warranty.

They aren't impervious to corrosion but I'd certainly have issue with it so early in it's life.

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
Hi [MENTION=21204]kapiteinlangzaam[/MENTION]

Does a Magnet stick to the metal tips?

Through reading the description on the Roush website it says they are 'Flash-chromed' So they could just be chrome plated instead of stainless steel?

I know the mufflers and tubing are built from 304 stainless but it doesn't mention the tips?

However with any stainless steel surface oxidation spots can occur due to the winter season with salting the roads / in the air, moisture and heat from the exhaust it is unavoidable unless maintained.

With having nice tips every time the car is washed the tips should be cleaned externally and internally with a rag and metal polish to maintain the quality finish.

Hopefully with a bit of Elbow Grease and Metal polish they should come up shiny and rust free again.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
This does seem wrong for this to happen... but here's a possibility...

I don't know what goes into exhaust silencers/resonators/cats nowadays, but I recall many years ago that the wadding used contained a degree of metal content as a binder, almost in some instances like wire wool... so is it possible that it's just particles of 'metal content' from the exhaust itself/wadding/cats/internal welds, that's just being flushed out with the water content and settling on the tips (note that the rust is only in the same area on both pipes and isn't exhibited anywhere else as it would be if the materials were likely substandard)?

I supply a lot of stainless steel products in my business and a couple of clients have called stating that they've got tiny rust spots appearing, which has just turned out to be swarf from the weld grinding process that's settled on the surface and oxidised when it's been exposed to moisture, and can just be removed with a basic metal polish, never to return!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Clean the exhaust tips, get a wire brush and some stainless steel cleaner, should be good to go if you clean it, the rush does look a bit weird, and as it's stainless, depends on the 'grade' of the exhaust tips steel (Mines MF - no staining, only done 4k in it). Deffo shouldn't happen, anyone know of any ROUSH central guys on the forum to answer why/how this happened?

Guy@NemesisUK

Threads
Reaction score
Website
nemesisuk.com
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
Project NemStang / Modified UK S550 Mustang GT
This does seem wrong for this to happen... but here's a possibility... and the rest->
Your quote is a very good and likely possibility!

Sponsored

Pong Lenis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt auto custom packet
clean that car man..rust will never form if u keep it away from water..polish those tips

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
clean that car man..rust will never form if u keep it away from water..polish those tips
It gets washed every week, sometimes twice. It's my daily car and covers 1500miles per month.

It's going to get dirty!!

Thanks for the tips with the cleaning etc... I do appreciate it.

Doesn't make me feel any better about my £600 exhaust rusting after 6m though.

Pong Lenis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt auto custom packet
any dd car will develop rust.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It gets washed every week, sometimes twice. It's my daily car and covers 1500miles per month.

It's going to get dirty!!

Thanks for the tips with the cleaning etc... I do appreciate it.

Doesn't make me feel any better about my £600 exhaust rusting after 6m though.
It really shouldn't have to be honest, I use steel wool and a sponge on mine with the jet wash every week inside of there, my hand comes out incredibly black, as it's all carbon deposit, left it about 1000 miles before cleaning it the first time.
Others are against steel wool, which is fine, but for the magnaflow, it's fine, nothing else gets the carbon lifted for me, otherwise, try a brillo pad, any of those abrasive styles should work, mind you my tips are polished stainless steel, not chrome plated, so may have a different effect :)

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
any dd car will develop rust.
Absolutely not true.

My daily driven Volvo XC90 didn't have a spot of rust on it after 6yrs and 100k miles, incl the shiney chrome exhaust tips.

This is down to a manufacturing fault, or poor materials... Both of which shouldn't occur on a premium product.
Sponsored