'16 GT Premium PP
How's the color match for magnetic?
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
How have these been holding up with just 3M since its been hot out? I used a liberal amount of 3M 30lb tape on a stock GT spoiler I got, but noticed the right corner lifted off the body due to heat.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
99 degrees today and mine hasn't budged. On there like it's molded to the trunk.

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I pulled the spoiler off, it was just the right side, the rest was on there really well. I thought I had it clean enough, especially being the 2nd time I put it on. Hopefully the 3rd times a charm. I'm starting to see micro-scratches around where its being mounted, despite being super careful.

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
How have these been holding up with just 3M since its been hot out? I used a liberal amount of 3M 30lb tape on a stock GT spoiler I got, but noticed the right corner lifted off the body due to heat.
I've been checking it roughly twice a week for the past 2,000 miles and even in the heat it doesn't want to budge. I used the 3M VHB tape

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
A technique I use for these situations is to apply blue masking tape after cleaning the area. So, clean how you prefer, allow to thoroughly dry, and then apply some tape and let that stay on for 1/2 hour. Then pull off the tape and apply the product with the 3m tape.

The masking tape chemically preps the surface in a like manner as the 3m tape. Any residual of petroleum-based cleaning product will eventually prevent the 3m tape from adhering over the long term.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Good tip, I'll try that. After reviewing the tape on the spoiler I think I found my issue. The stock spoiler has raised sections that outline where the factory tape was. I tried to cut the 3m tape thin enough to get inside those markings so the tape wasn't slightly raised in spots. Well, 3M tape in long sections is hard to cut and I didn't make some parts thin enough. The tape went over the ridge in some spots, and caused only a small portion of the tape to make contact with the trunk.

So I plan to sand down the underside of the spoiler tonight and get rid of those ridges. Then re-apply tape. I will try your suggestion with the blue masking tape too.

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
so i had an interesting conversation with a gal that works at 3m locally. definitely dont get the 30 pound exterior tape from home depot, VHB is rated up to 90 pounds!!!

Advised me to let it fully cure for 9 days before washing or pulling or putting any weight on it. after those 9 days itll be stronger than a rivet or screw

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

B.Crowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T
so i had an interesting conversation with a gal that works at 3m locally. definitely dont get the 30 pound exterior tape from home depot, VHB is rated up to 90 pounds!!!

Advised me to let it fully cure for 9 days before washing or pulling or putting any weight on it. after those 9 days itll be stronger than a rivet or screw
I used the 3M "Extreme" tape from HD to mount my dash cam and my cam fell off on a hot summer day. That's why I went through the trouble of getting the VHB tape. The grip of that tape is an order of magnitude greater than the HD tape I had.

OP
OP
Niz55

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350

Tell that bitch they need to hire a new painter and do correct job in painting the parts they sale.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I ordered a triple yellow painted spoiler from www.accessoriesmartonline.com/15-16-mustang-custom-spoiler-wd4851u/. The paint match was very very good.

My complaints are
  1. There is one small spot of dust on the top side. Barely noticeable.
  2. There is no raised lip on the backside so as to help conceal the 3m tape. I thought I spotted on eBay a brand that had this, but I can't find it now.
  3. The two corners where the blade steps in from 3" deep to 2" are not the same. The left side corner is more rounded and bulged out.

#2 - can anyone verify if theirs has a raised lip on the backside?
#3 is my biggest complaint. Can anyone else check to see if these two corners match on their spoilers? I am trying to find out if this is a one-off error, or something that comes out of a defective mold.

I am thinking of ordering one from Ikon next, and so I am trying to determine with your help if I can expect any better.

First photo is of good corner.
Second photo is of rounded corner.

[MENTION=15456]B.Crowder[/MENTION] [MENTION=16851]whirledpeaz[/MENTION]
20160925_123337[1].jpg
20160925_123504[1].jpg

Last edited:

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT
Mine is from ikon and has the raised lip but the VHB tape was not completely concealed by the lip. It's really not noticeable unless you're looking directly down at the bonding point.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Mine is from ikon and has the raised lip but the VHB tape was not completely concealed by the lip. It's really not noticeable unless you're looking directly down at the bonding point.
Same w my Ikon.
Sponsored