Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hi all,

I recently installed Roush axle backs and like the way they sound, but wish the volume was higher! I bought the car with muffler deletes and it sounded great and the volume was perfect but they droned so bad. The Roush system has 0 drone but I want them as loud as my deletes.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same. Should I go X or H pipe? I don't want it to be center of attention loud but I would like to be able to hear it from the cabin.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Roush axle backs ARE loud (had them on my '14). Not much will be as loud as straight pipes, but thats generally a good thing, as those tend to be obnoxiously loud for the sake of being loud, while IMO sounding like crap under throttle. That said, the OEM catbacks on the 15-17s are ridiculously restrictive with the stock resonators. So if you want it louder, go with an aftermarket x or h pipe, or just have a shop remove the stock resonators.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Billie wants da bad ass sound wit out da drone. Get ya some electric cut outs player.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I have Roush Axle Backs with H-Pipe on my 17 Roush and its awesome and it will give you what your looking for.

OP
OP
Coyote15

Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have Roush Axle Backs with H-Pipe on my 17 Roush and its awesome and it will give you what your looking for.
Thanks for the info man. Do you experience any drone on the highway? The sound clips on YouTube are always distorted.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hi all,

I recently installed Roush axle backs and like the way they sound, but wish the volume was higher! I bought the car with muffler deletes and it sounded great and the volume was perfect but they droned so bad. The Roush system has 0 drone but I want them as loud as my deletes.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same. Should I go X or H pipe? I don't want it to be center of attention loud but I would like to be able to hear it from the cabin.
I went Roush AB and x-pipe, and the rasp was too much. I ended up having 2 vibrant straight through resonators welded in to eliminate the drone. Careful when deleting the resonator. You should also consider whether you will be adding headers in the future. That really adds some volume.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT Convertible, 2003 Cobra, 13 Focus ST, 05 Thunderbird, 72 SS 454, 68 Camaro convertible, 66 Spitfire
The 2016 I just bought has the Roush axle backs, and it is too loud for my taste. Great sound, but I'm sure it's going to get unwanted attention.

Sponsored

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I have the Roush axle backs and by themselves, the tone sounded aggressive, but not obnoxious. I removed the stock resonator and added the Mishimoto h-pipe and the sound is obnoxiously loud now!LOL It sounds great, but I wish I could tone it down at times. It draws soo much attention and definitely is a Cop magnet. You can definitely hear this exhaust set-up inside of the cabin. I would consider it pretty loud inside of the car, but I wouldn't necessarily say that I would call it drone though. I'd like to do some sort of active exhaust in the future.

iSpeed27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DiB GT
The cheapest solution to this is to just lower the back seats. I have Roush mufflers with an MRT H-pipe which sounds absolutely amazing, and I also keep my back seats down all the time when I don't have to squeeze someone back there. The difference in sound with the seats up versus down is significant, and the set up is loud enough that it drowns out any road or tire noise coming through the trunk.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I went with the roush axle backs and the Corsa double x pipe. sounds perfect

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I thought you were offering a scientific lesson on the physics of sound as it relates to human perception.
dB's is a logarithmic function. So a dB level from 60 to 70 is not the same as 100 to 110. Considering the context, 10 dB change at 100 dB baseline is considerably more energetic than the prior. As dB level climbs, intensity gets exponentially greater. So if someone was saying "I measured 95 dB at 50 feet and I want 10 dB more" I would say "Are you VERY sure about that...?"

A GT350R or a GT350 with a resonator delete can routinely hit 100 dB at 50 feet depending on barometric pressure and wind. At that distance, 100 dB is very loud for a street car with cats still on.
Sponsored