Sponsored

Rotating tires with PP

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
I'll be getting the PP1 and after the first set of tires wears out, about a month after I drive off the lot, Ill probably throw all seasons on it. If I do 255s all around, can I put the rear wheels on the front without a problem, or will I need spacers for the front?
And how will the car handle with spacers on the front? When it comes time to rotate I'd prefer not to have to take the tires off the wheels in order to rotate them.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If that was my situation, I wouldn't hesitate to rotate non-square tires! Not a big deal.
Just put on the thinnest front spacers that get the needed clearance. It may only be 1/4" or less (I am not sure).

You could even carry around a spare with this setup (since you will already have the spacers on the car. Search the forum for other threads regarding spare tire for PP cars.)

Are you planning on buying a second set of wide wheels with summer tires, and looking to re-purpose your stock wheels for A/S use?

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
Thanks for the advice.
Not sure what Ill do when the first set wears out. Not planning on a second set of wheels. My thinking was to just run All Seasons after that. I'll drive it into December before putting it away for the winter and I know the summer tires don't like it below 45 degrees.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'd get a pair of used 9" wide to match your current front and then rotate. You could trade your rears for someone else's front. I'm not a fan of running spacers.

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
I'd get a pair of used 9" wide to match your current front and then rotate. You could trade your rears for someone else's front. I'm not a fan of running spacers.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing just that. They would be pretty narrow spacers tho...

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Yeah, if you truly want a full-square setup, you might find someone to trade a pair of wheels with. You may have to debate who gets the wider set, who gets the narrower set. (Look for an Ecoboost owner.)

I run 5mm spacers up front on my car. Note that my spacer recommendation is for the slip-on type, not the type with double set of bolts. You can go up to 1/4" thick with no worry of minimum stud thread engagement.

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
And to be clear, the spacer is needed for the wheel to clear the brakes?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In 2015-2016, you needed a spacer to put rear wheels on the front of a PP. Probably the same for 2018, but maybe not. Other side of that coin is it may take a different thickness spacer than before. Maybe someone who owns one and done that can post.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
+5mm spacer to get the rear 9.5" wheels to clear the brakes (at least with the previous 15-17 PP wheels, IDK about the new optional silver '5-spoke' pp wheel design).

OR Front 9" wheels will go on the rear w/o a spacer (most people upgrade to square 9.5" wheels instead of downgrading to square 9", but maybe you could save money with 255s on 9s?)

OR you can keep the staggered wheels, but buy square tires only (most 275s will fit on a 9") and pay to dismount-remount your tires once mid-life to even out wear.

OP
OP
MUSThavaSTANG

MUSThavaSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT 6 speed PP
+5mm spacer to get the rear 9.5" wheels to clear the brakes (at least with the previous 15-17 PP wheels, IDK about the new optional silver '5-spoke' pp wheel design).

OR Front 9" wheels will go on the rear w/o a spacer (most people upgrade to square 9.5" wheels instead of downgrading to square 9", but maybe you could save money with 255s on 9s?)

OR you can keep the staggered wheels, but buy square tires only (most 275s will fit on a 9") and pay to dismount-remount your tires once mid-life to even out wear.
Thanks. Yeah the dismount is an option. Would just be nice to rotate without doing that. I'd probably do 255s all around when it's time to buy new tires.
Sponsored