Roof panel replacement?

DanteG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My roof got dented from an accident and if I’m not able to repair the dents I’m going to look into replacing the panel. Anyone know what all goes into replacing the roof panel? Difficultly? Tools needed? Any info would be appreciated
Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
How bad is the dent?????
You really don't want to be removing and replacing a roof.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Can't speak to the details, but there are some things to consider (if you were not already aware). The panel is going to help maintain the structural integrity of the interior, in-case of rollover. The roof panel is also going to impact alignment of several other body parts. Special assembly techniques, epoxies and fasteners may be required. Replacing a fender is one thing. Replacing a roof panel on any vehicle is something else. If it has to be replaced, maybe best leave to the pros.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What type of accident was it and can you provide any pics? Is this a salvage S550 bought to repair or your own vehicle?

It's not a typical "DIY" in your driveway type of deal... if that's what you're asking.

Just for starters:
- Rear window needs to be completely removed
- side 1/4 panel windows and all associated interior/exterior trim needs to be removed
- front windshield needs to be removed along with all associated interior trim pieces
- headliner needs to be removed
- all spot welds need to be drilled out

Here's some images that Anderson Composites has out on their page for a complete S550 carbon fiber roof replacement. As you can see, it's a very tedious task that involves proper tools, method and panel alignments, as well as proper sealing techniques back onto internal roof structure and bonding near A, B and C pollars.
https://andersoncomposites.com/products/dry-carbon-roof-replacement-for-2015-2019-ford-mustang

--

Although not a S550 and not a sheet metal roof replacement, this thread is one of the most detailed roof replacement/swaps on a modern Mustang. It's an S197 getting a glass roof swapped onto it - many detailed pics of the entire process. Structurally the roof of the S550 and S197 are quite similar, so entire R&R process is similar with some minor variances. This shows how involved the process is, regardless if glass, carbon fiber or sheet metal.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f802/not-your-average-glass-roof-thread-545458/

Last edited:
OP
OP

DanteG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It was a minor front end collision but my hood flew up, broke off one hinge and hit the roof so it’s dented in a couple spots. I can take some pics after work, but good to know, thanks for the info

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
There is a procedure in the shop manual to replace the roof sheet metal. Drill out spot welds under f/r glass, metal bonding adhesive and seam sealer for the new sheet metal, and re-do spot welds along the front and rear of the sheet metal. Good as new.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The least invasive is the most desirable when dealing with having to undo factory welds and permanent full panel replacement.

Not an average DIY thing by a long shot.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
The least invasive is the most desirable when dealing with having to undo factory welds and permanent full panel replacement.

Not an average DIY thing by a long shot.
absolutely true - when I hear people say "you don't want to do ____ because it's never the same after"

I get it - to a point, YOU will know....but a good body shop can fix nearly anything. Dealership I worked for ten years ago, there was a never titled brand new 2009 GT500 - story went guy paid cash, slid it into a tree. passenger door, seat, roof, all of that was smashed in all the way to the center of the car.

Tow truck company owner bought the car for the storage fees - about 8,000 dollars. They went to a salvage yard, and cut a 2005+ V6 Mustang body in half. They completely dis-assembled the car, at all the factory spot welds. They attached half a mustang to the wrecked car, and all was like new. They didn't even have to replace the roof - once everything was taken apart, no more tension, and the dent popped out.

Once it was back together, you could not tell. It had a clean title, as if it never even happened. The guy who bought it had a photo album of the process he would show anyone he could how they took it apart and re-assembled.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It was a minor front end collision but my hood flew up, broke off one hinge and hit the roof so it’s dented in a couple spots. I can take some pics after work, but good to know, thanks for the info
Oh geez .... man, hood pop ups are the worst... old Fox Body Mustangs, when a hood popped while driving, it instantly buckled the entire sheet metal cowling in front of the windshield, would break the plastic grille in half over the cowling, cracked the windshield and damaged roof. You got a 4-for-1 instant damage event as well as a set of stained shorts... sometimes even lucky not to have hit anything else with hood blocking view... LOL...

---

Depending on the severity of your roof panel damage, you may also want to get the opinion of some local PDR shops who have good reviews. The Professional PDR shops can remove bad sheet metal dents or accident damages, but they won't get involved with any paint work. So again depending on the damages, a PDR shop *may* be able to fix the roof panel at a lower cost than an entire roof panel replacement.

OP
OP

DanteG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
It didn’t buckle it down into the cabin at all but it’s a pretty damn good sized dent. Thankfully it didn’t hit the windshield but that’s because one of my hood hinges snapped so it went straight up to the roof. I’m definitely gonna have a DPR shop take a look to see what’s possible without full replacement. Was just looking for my best option if that’s not possible
Sponsored