Sponsored

Roof on s550 is going opaque, do I have a wrap or painted roof?

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
You've still got the corrosion warranty, that's 5 years unlimited mileage. It can never hurt to take it to the dealer and see what's up. Also for all we know your car could have been a leftover sold in 2018 which could mean that you still have a bit of the bumper to bumper warranty left. Worst the dealer can do is say No.
yea let me see what they can do. I know the B2B warranty is out becuse on the carfax the car was sold in the summer of 2017. I did get it as a CPO which adds an extra year of comp coverage but Ford CPO conveniently does not cover body stuff.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’m pretty sure it’s just a wrap. The only cars with black roofs from the factory are black accent package cars. Based on one of the pictures you posted of the car I can see that it doesn’t have a spoiler which the black accent package would come with. Not sure if factory spoiler delete is an option on black accent package but I believe not. If you could post pictures of the side of the car we can tell if it’s a black accent package car. But I don’t even think the 17 cars with black accent package come with painted roofs. My 17 did not.

Also in the last picture posted you can see the paint underneath and the edges of the black wrap so I’m pretty sure it’s a wrap. Unless of course it’s just a really bad paint job.

AAE6F32A-3CFD-4A17-879F-4CEE2D8A9066.jpeg

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; This will not help much, but may shed some light on what can happen. A couple of years ago I talked to a dealer for a month or two about a leftover Mustang GT.I think it was a 2017 year car. We finally came to a price in late December. So I drove over 100 miles to get the car.

All the pictures of the car on the website showed a white paint job. When I got to the dealership the car had a black roof and some other black areas such as stripes on the front fender. It turned out to be a wrap put on after the web site pictures were taken. I did not have any experience with wraps so was reluctant to take the car. I did not know how to remove a wrap nor if it could be done without damage to the paint. I asked the dealer to remove the wrap but they did not want to.
I may have been too concerned about what the finish would look like under the wrap. I have seen paint shades be different when some sort of thing which covers paint is removed. Likely the time was not enough to cause a shade difference under the wrap but did not know. I also considered there might have been minor paint damage which was hidden under the wrap. Anyway after a bit someone else bought the car.

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
I’m pretty sure it’s just a wrap. The only cars with black roofs from the factory are black accent package cars. Based on one of the pictures you posted of the car I can see that it doesn’t have a spoiler which the black accent package would come with. Not sure if factory spoiler delete is an option on black accent package but I believe not. If you could post pictures of the side of the car we can tell if it’s a black accent package car. But I don’t even think the 17 cars with black accent package come with painted roofs. My 17 did not.

Also in the last picture posted you can see the paint underneath and the edges of the black wrap so I’m pretty sure it’s a wrap. Unless of course it’s just a really bad paint job.

AAE6F32A-3CFD-4A17-879F-4CEE2D8A9066.jpeg
Its a performance pack GT, it doesn't have any backed out emblems. I believe this car was sold at Galpin Ford when new so its hard to say if they custom painted or wrapped it.

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a performance pack GT, it doesn't have any backed out emblems.
In that case whatever is on the car is not a factory thing so definitely something you’ll have to fix yourself. I’d try to pull on that corner of the picture I posted where it’s already lifted and see what happens.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
how does one do that? I do not have the window sticker
Bear in mind I am a UK based so terminology and package names etc are different ...

I guess any dealer should be able to access that info, this is how it showed on my dealers system (screenshot from a photo I took) :

1613489144305.png

My link to trace window stickers now seems to be broken, but if you can find someone who still has access (there is a thread on here), my sticker also has it itemised individually :

1613489258401.png

Hope that helps and good luck :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
In that case whatever is on the car is not a factory thing so definitely something you’ll have to fix yourself. I’d try to pull on that corner of the picture I posted where it’s already lifted and see what happens.
I tried it earlier, it seems to chip off rather than peel, that tells me its more likely paint

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jerry: If PPF/Wrap films are on a vehicle for an extended period of time, the UV makes them brittle and they can "chip" like paint.

The best way to remove either type of vinyl, if that's what it is, is to use steam heat. So, if you can find or rent some sort of hand steamer like for carpet, you may be able to remove it, IF it is vinyl. Even a heat gun kept at a distance, to warm up the surface, should also be enough to determine whether the material is brittle vinyl or paint.

Hard to say at this point without more closeup photos but a little heat should tell you one way or another.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Hmmm...warped vs wrapped?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ford paint and corrosion warranty is 5/60. Since he has a 2017, a warranty claim can be approved without metal perforation (Paint warranty was revised starting in 2016).

Also, check this below thread and the attached PDFs for what Ford will and will not cover for paint defects/warranty claims:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...pping-on-hood-edge.142195/page-2#post-3048339
I don’t believe his car came with a factory black painted roof. If it is in fact painted it was more than likely not done by Ford as he has a performance package.

OP
OP

Jerrycobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
I don’t believe his car came with a factory black painted roof. If it is in fact painted it was more than likely not done by Ford as he has a performance package.
Yup true statement. MustangJoe pulled the sticker for me and sure enough its not factory installed. I also had a buddy that does car detailing take quick look at it, and he saids its a shitty paint job. I will get it evaluated by a shop and more than likely have it repainted if it is indeed paint.
Sponsored