Rolls Royce in a 2015 Mustang

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I did see a W12 in a GTI....
Yes, that was on BBC Top Gear.

If you watched the episode, however, you also would hear that the car was a prototype that was not being put into production. They also stated that the gauges didn't work, none of the switches worked, the A/C didn't work, etc. They threw the drivetrain together to have something to present at the VW GTI club meeting that year. The fact that a company with the funds and labor force of VW could not get that car 100% in the time frame allotted speaks volumes as to how difficult these kinds of projects really are.

+1 for Top Gear though. Clarkson, May, and Hammond are the best and I stopped watching it and switched to Grand Tour as soon as they left.
Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
It can be done is you have good fab skills and can do the work yourself or have a lot of money. But why a 2015 mustang? Maybe try an older mustang you can get cheaper. An S197, new edge, or a 60s era coupe are all pretty cheap. A 6.8 V10 swap can and has been done and isnt super expensive. Something like this qith a coyote would be the bees knees

HexaNerva

EL 5OH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just slap some V12 badges on the side, no one will question you.

XCRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
If you do go with the Rolls Royce specd BMW V12, get the older M70 that was the basis of the RR motor from a junker 7 series since you can pick those up for like $500-$1000 and you can also say it has a Mclaren F1 engine too!

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Of all the crazy engine swaps that people have done, I don't think that would come close to making the top 50. Ferrari engines in Fiats, Chevy V8s in Porsches. I would kind of question why though, unless you just had one sitting around from a totalled Rolls and needed something to do.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Another option if you must have a v12 is a jag. Cheap and easy to source. Decent power if you boost or bore it out to 7 litre (or both)

We had a six litre one in the lister and it went rather well

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Speaking of crazy engine swaps, anybody seen that video of the radial airplane engine in the back of an old VW Bug?

Sponsored

GDDYP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost Fastback (ETA 9/15/18), 1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
I think I'd rather throw the money it would cost to do that towards an entire vintage 1960s-1970s Rolls.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
How about a 6 3/4 litre Rolls V8? would be a far easier swap as its physically close in size to the coyote.

Failing that forget a Merlin, go with a Meteor instead. Same block but without the supercharger, built for use in tanks. They are much cheaper and more common. You will end up loosing a bit of interior space (think sitting on the back seats). I was considering a Rolls or Napier build on a vintage Vauxhall chassis a while ago but have never got round to it. Meteors are occasionally seen in vintage racing. they give 500+ bhp and sound fantastic un-silenced! The advantage of vintage chassis is the longitudinal space available is far greater and the body can be custom fabricated more cheaply

xik49qYJ.jpg

s2wwxy8s.jpg

If you are open to diesel, don't forget there are loads of cheap Rolls engines available out of trucks and armoured stuff.
I was never considering an actual Merlin engine, but based on the responses it would appear a Rolls V8 would be easier and would still give me an homage to the Aircraft that no one else has ever done. Do I have the money right now? No. As I stated this was something I thought up and would consider later if I thought it would work. Perhaps the V8 would be an easier swap. I’d also need to change the transmission as well of course. Sometimes in life, people get ideas that seem crazy, but I know for a fact that I’ve seen crazier things on the velocity channel so although I understand the difficulties, I don’t think something like this would be impossible. I’d love to have a true, one of a kind Mustang that truly paid homage to the Aircraft . Right now, I’ll be using badging, interior and exterior upgrades as well as wheels, suspension and mild power upgrades. Eventually, someday, I’d like to try something like this and make a show car unlike any other. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was never considering an actual Merlin engine, but based on the responses it would appear a Rolls V8 would be easier and would still give me an homage to the Aircraft that no one else has ever done. Do I have the money right now? No. As I stated this was something I thought up and would consider later if I thought it would work. Perhaps the V8 would be an easier swap. I’d also need to change the transmission as well of course. Sometimes in life, people get ideas that seem crazy, but I know for a fact that I’ve seen crazier things on the velocity channel so although I understand the difficulties, I don’t think something like this would be impossible. I’d love to have a true, one of a kind Mustang that truly paid homage to the Aircraft . Right now, I’ll be using badging, interior and exterior upgrades as well as wheels, suspension and mild power upgrades. Eventually, someday, I’d like to try something like this and make a show car unlike any other. I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.
Fair shout. We all dream. RR V8 and GM slushbox can be sourced cheap from a rusted out silver shadow. Should make 200hp. Options for power too if you go the turbo R route and put a blower on it.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So far from what I can tell the engine is 2" wider than a coyote, so we are off to a good start.

The height is a little concerning, it's about 13" taller than a coyote, so this may need a slightly custom hood.

Length is pretty rough. If you took 3 5.0Ls and stuck them end to end, you are still about 12" shy of the length of the V-1650. This thing is 80% of the wheel base. That's not including the massive amount of radiator and fans that will be required to run this thing, so probably add another 12"-18" to that number for accessories and what not. If you don't want to have the engine overhanging the wheels by too far, you might need to move your seats into the trunk.

Weight is 1650lbs, so 4x heavier than a coyote and getting damn near half the weight of the car itself.

Fuel burn rate was something I was pretty interested in. I had never looked it up and while you would never be pushing this engine this hard or long, it looks like they can burn up to 120 gallons per hour when you are really beating on them but during a cruise 60 or so is more often average.

It's surprisingly difficult to find these for sale but from what I can tell a running engine without paper work 10 years ago would cost about $60k. I would expect maybe 2-3x that price for something today.

Seems extremely easy, and cheap. You should absolutely do it.
Sponsored