PeteH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey all
I'm looking to add some rock guards to protect my paint and was hoping for some opinions on what to buy.
I think I have my choices narrowed down to ZL1 Addons, or Auto fanatic.
Both seem to be of similar construction, but Autofanatic does cost about $40 more.
I'm not worried about the cost, I just want the best product possible and was looking for some feedback, likes, dislikes, etc. about these two choices or is there another brand you would recommend?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have the ZL1 Addons, as they were the only ones available a couple years ago. The Auto Fanatic looks almost identical so I'm not sure why they would cost more. I'm happy with the Zl1 Addons and actually forgot I had them on the car until seeing your post. A word on the install. The ZL1 Addons have slight recesses where the pop rivets go so they can still reach deep enough to grap the catch inside. I can't tell if the Auto Fanatic have those recesses from the pics. You'll sometimes see people complain about difficulty getting the pop rivets back in. Of the three pop rivets, 2 have shallow catches so they're very easy to get to engage. The 3rd has a deeper engagement point so you really have to push to get it to engage.

5.2 Symphony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norbert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350,
I purchased the ZL1 rock guards when the car was new, but within a month the adhesive that was factory installed started separating away from the rock guard itself. The side of the tape attached to the fender stayed attached. Customer service at ZL1 sent me to Autozone to buy two sided tape to fix it…

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
I have the Auto Fanatic rock guards. I made sure I followed his video to install them and they have stayed attached. No matter which one you get the key is proper prep and installation as they are almost identical.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I actually know the original manufacture that produces the ones for auto fanatic so he's only netting $20 dollars for each sale. They sell directly at $80 dollars a set. That's a reasonable price for someone who contributes a lot to the auto enthusiast community.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
@ NoXiDe
I agree, and I'm not worried about the price, just want to make sure I'm getting the best product for my money
Auto Fanatic does seem to put a ton of effort into the guards

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Placed an order with Auto Fanatic
Hope to see them sometime next week

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Although I bought the ZL1's back in 2019, after reading this thread, I watched Autofantic's rock guard video. There wider and stick out further for more aggressive tire and wheel protection.
The ZL1's on my 19' protect my non R with the stock wheel and cup 2 tires just fine.... but having a choice is a good thing

Sponsored

Jeffsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2008
I have the Auto Fanatic rock guards. I made sure I followed his video to install them and they have stayed attached. No matter which one you get the key is proper prep and installation as they are almost identical.
Agree. Follow the instructions and use a heat gun and they’ll stay on tight. Haven’t had a rock chip since.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I have these, easy on and off. I take them off every time I wash the car. no adhesive.
http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/2015-2018 Mustang GT350, GT350R Splash Guards, 2 pc set, Front Only_654.html
I hope you have better luck with them then I did. First, they did not prevent sand and small pebbles from making there way onto the rocker trim. Second, the binders that clip onto the fender loosened over time and one simple fell off while I was driving. I have since gone to the ZL-1 option and no sand, solid installation and more secure.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I have a couple sets of ZL-1’s, no complaints.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have these, easy on and off. I take them off every time I wash the car. no adhesive.
http://jaegerbrothersauto.com/auto-parts/2015-2018 Mustang GT350, GT350R Splash Guards, 2 pc set, Front Only_654.html
I bought these two and regretted after only one came home from a track day and you had to constantly adjust them too even on casual drives. They tried but missed on an important level..

I hope you have better luck with them then I did. First, they did not prevent sand and small pebbles from making there way onto the rocker trim. Second, the binders that clip onto the fender loosened over time and one simple fell off while I was driving. I have since gone to the ZL-1 option and no sand, solid installation and more secure.
Oh, lol you were not alone.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I went with the RoxBlokz and am pleased.
I ordered before I took delivery of the GT350. At the time, I needed them yesterday and Auto Fanatic was out of stock.
Sponsored