Review

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Slightly disappointing review:

http://www.motoring.com.au/abdc-ford-mustang-2016-review-102318

Especially the 0-100km/h time. I know some will say 0-62 times don't matter, blah blah blah. But still, 9th position and 5.62 secs. Hmmm the BMW M2 appears the better bargin again?!:frusty:

Look at the track times though!

1. 911
2. Mercedes AMG
3. BMW M2
4. Some supercharged V8 Holden with around 550BHP
5. Mustang GT

It beat all those other cars behind it and the race driver praising the cars balance and progressiveness at the limit saying the chassis is superb.

If you want fast 0-60mph buy the AUTO version it will drop 5s nearly everytime, with the manual it is much harder to get it sub 5.5s, far harder! Launching a manual car and then pulling of the perfect 1-2 shift is not easy, an auto makes this far easier.

Its fair to say a GT with just some Michelin MPSS would put it on parr with the M2 which also has MPSS.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Slightly disappointing review:
Oh I so don't really care ;)
The only opinion that counts is the one you form yourself when you sit in the thing for the first time. I think I'm correct in saying that's been overwhelmingly positive on here...:thumbsup:

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual

1. 911
2. Mercedes AMG
3. BMW M2
5. Mustang GT

It beat all those other cars behind it and the race driver praising the cars balance and progressiveness at the limit saying the chassis is superb.

If you want fast 0-60mph buy the AUTO version it will drop 5s nearly everytime, with the manual it is much harder to get it sub 5.5s, far harder! Launching a manual car and then pulling of the perfect 1-2 shift is not easy, an auto makes this far easier.

Its fair to say a GT with just some Michelin MPSS would put it on parr with the M2 which also has MPSS.
Yep, you're probably right, its possibly the crappy tyres - needs a set of MPSS. I don't want an auto but would have hoped that the manual would get close to 5 seconds. Seems there is only 0.2 second difference with the M2 manual and auto

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

1. 911
2. Mercedes AMG
3. BMW M2
5. Mustang GT

News just in, corrected track times:-

1. [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] Mustang GT
2. 911
3. Mercedes AMG
4. BMW M2
5. Some supercharged V8 Holden with around 550BHP
6. Everybody else's Mustang GT
:D

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

2. 911
3. Mercedes AMG
4. BMW M2
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[MENTION=14613]SteveS[/MENTION] sums it up best, no d1ckhead pompous sh1tbag can review the car, the only review that matters is what you feel in the car.

I couldn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks, if I Like something, I like it.

Anyway. Anyway. Anyway. Where was I. Oh yeah...reviews.:headbonk:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

2. 911
3. Mercedes AMG
4. BMW M2
Damn right! :headbang:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, you're probably right, its possibly the crappy tyres - needs a set of MPSS. I don't want an auto but would have hoped that the manual would get close to 5 seconds. Seems there is only 0.2 second difference with the M2 manual and auto
Ford claim I think identical times for both auto and manual or very close like within 0.2s

But in the real world an AUTO will always beat a manual from a stand still, nine times out of ten.

If you want to win traffic light grand prix or go drag racing, buy an AUTO.

If you want the added involvement of an extra pedal and stirring a gear lever and complete control over the car then buy the manual.

Hopefully in a year or two Ford will offer the 10-speed auto giving best of both worlds, well nearly. :)

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
No i'm happy with a slower 0-60 and have the manual but 5.62 seconds seems overly slow. Anyway, happy to agree it's the tyres :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No i'm happy with a slower 0-60 and have the manual but 5.62 seconds seems overly slow. Anyway, happy to agree it's the tyres :)
Tyres will help but to hit sub 5s with the manual will mean a proper clutch dump and a very aggressive 1-2 shift whilst trying to limit wheel spin and perfect conditions.

Its possible but its harsh on the car, but tyres will help but they will also help make an AUTO even quicker too. ;)

Sponsored

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What is the suspension setup for the Aus cars? I know the performance pack is stiffened for Euro models, then stiffened again for UK. We could have the best cars for handling from stock. Don't know how much difference that would make to the ABDC test though.

Yellostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow Mustang GT Fastback
They sell those in the UK as the Vauxhall VXR8 GTS, although very few have come in. I didn't know they existed until I drove past an orange one on a Vauxhall dealer's forecourt the very day after I ordered the Mustang. It was 18 months old and £37k (£56k list), so a good lump of depreciation done already.

A quick Google told me it has 575bhp from a supercharged 6.2 litre V8 Corvette engine. It also has 4 doors, meaning I could run it as a daily driver on the nursery run. All sorts of technical wizardry, torque vectoring, Head-Up-Display. On paper, it blew the Mustang away. I'd be mad not to have a look...

Test drive booked for the next day. Started it up - incredible noise from stock. Took it out - very civilised around town, very comfortable, HUD very cool (and genuinely the way forward in my opinion), big car but decent visibility. Hit the motorway slip road - made sure all wheels pointing in the same direction then floored it :eyebulge::eyebulge::eyebulge:

Comically fast. Felt quicker than a friend's new RS6. Couldn't keep the smile from my face. Apparently the salesman (well, boy) had almost binned it already. In the dry, pulling out of a filling station.

So why on earth didn't I buy it? It's an incredible piece of machinery for the money, but the only reason I was buying a new car was because I'd seen a Mustang a week earlier. I don't need a new car - I just HAD TO HAVE the V8 Mustang. It's completely a heart over head thing for me this time. I just didn't fall in love with the Vauxhall (/Holden) in the same way.

Trying to be more objective - the Mustang looks and style are in another league. The VXR8 is just not pretty. That platform is also getting a bit long in the tooth. I test drove a normally aspirated one about 5 years ago and it was a couple of years old then. It's even heavier than the Mustang, which is probably partly why it is barely any quicker on track. Comparing like with like, I think a supercharged Mustang would handle the power much better. Also, we're comparing new with used again, which is the only way that other cars can compete with the Mustang performance for the price.

That said, I could still see myself in one in the future, if I manage to get the Mustang out of my system. For novelty value and the "what the hell is that?!" factor, as well as its everyday usability. Maybe a VXR8 GTS as a daily driver and a Caterham in the garage :thumbsup:
Sponsored