Sponsored

Revamped craftsman tools

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Saw an article saying Stanley is about to release 1200 revamped tools. 40% of these are made in America with the goal to get to 70% of tools offered made in America

I know snap on, matco etc are a "step above" but their pricing is 2 steps above. Haha

I've got a lot of hand tools that are craftsman and no issues, and this includes turning wrenches as a professional aircraft mechanic.

I know over the last several years their reputation has taken a hit, So, will y'all look in to the new tools released or stay away?
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'll buy.

I've got a ton of Craftsman tools, and all but an aluminum jack have been very good products.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only tool from them i was ever disappointed in was an air ratchet but other than that they've done me well

I even have an $80 chainsaw that's about 8years old and no issues so far

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'll never buy Craftsman again. I was a huge buyer of their stuff for about ten years, but when I had a 3/8" drive ratchet go bad, and they just grabbed one from under the counter, like they were expecting it, then that one broke halfway through the brake job I was working on. I've had several sockets break using standard hand tools (no pneumatics). When my brand new clicker-type 3/8" torque wrench (35 days old, just outside of warranty) broke, they wouldn't do anything to replace it, or even help me find someplace to repair it. Their prices are decent, but I'd rather buy Husky (Home Depot) or Kobalt (Lowe's), at this point. After the torque wrench broke, I went to Home Depot and bought two Husky torque wrenches, a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive, both with lifetime warranties. After using the 1/2" literally HUNDREDS of times over 12+ years, the ratchet mechanism finally gave up the ghost. I brought it back to Home Depot, without a receipt, and while the cashier didn't really know what to do with it, the store manager told me to grab a new one off the shelf, no questions asked.

Otherwise, Harbor Freight's tools aren't the best, but they're cheap, and you can buy three sets for the price of one better set. All my impact sockets are Harbor Freight, and they haven't failed me yet.

JR

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I have had fantastic luck with Craftsman hand tools. Craftsman power tools or equipment I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Snap-On IMO is not as good of quality as it used to be. My dad is Snap-on guy, his tools from the 90s are amazing but some of the replacement ones they have sent him recently I don't think have the same quality as the tools they have replaced.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Now that I think of it, my main Craftsman ratchet/socket set is almost 30 years old....

I think I trashed the guts of a ratchet once using it like a breaker bar, but they just replaced the innards and off I went. Still good.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll never buy Craftsman again. ...

Otherwise, Harbor Freight's tools aren't the best, but they're cheap, and you can buy three sets for the price of one better set. All my impact sockets are Harbor Freight, and they haven't failed me yet.

JR
Damn, that's quite the bad run there. Yeah I'd be turned off as well. I have had good luck so far. At my house is a mix of husky, kobalt, craftsman and snap on. In my tool box I used to use for work, pretty much all craftsman. Again, this is hand tools.

I have had fantastic luck with Craftsman hand tools. Craftsman power tools or equipment I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Snap-On IMO is not as good of quality as it used to be. My dad is Snap-on guy, his tools from the 90s are amazing but some of the replacement ones they have sent him recently I don't think have the same quality as the tools they have replaced.
Yup, I swapped out a ratchet that broke with the local snap on truck and was taken aback by the difference in the new gearing. It was definitely a downgrade

Now that I think of it, my main Craftsman ratchet/socket set is almost 30 years old....

I think I trashed the guts of a ratchet once using it like a breaker bar, but they just replaced the innards and off I went. Still good.
several years back I dropped a coworkers 1/4" craftsman that he had been using since the 80s. It wasn't even really that high but mustve hit just right and it shattered on impact. I thought he was gonna cry. I truly felt bad. They warrantied it though and he got a new one but I still felt bad

My dad has tons of craftsman stuff, I don't know how old but as far back as I can remember he's had it. I'd guess 30 years

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I've been using Craftsman Tools for 30 years and have't found a better warranty anywhere. A good set of tools is a good set of tools. Snap on and Matco tools may be made a little better, but they don't work any better and are twice (or more in some cases) the price of Craftsman. I can't understand why someone would put craftsman tools down, unless they are one of those people who think what they buy are the best and then brag about them. I see a lot of that on Forums.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I've been using Craftsman Tools for 30 years and have't found a better warranty anywhere. A good set of tools is a good set of tools. Snap on and Matco tools may be made a little better, but they don't work any better and are twice (or more in some cases) the price of Craftsman. I can't understand why someone would put craftsman tools down, unless they are one of those people who think what they buy are the best and then brag about them. I see a lot of that on Forums.
The reason to put them down is due to cost cutting. In the past 10-15 years, Sears has 'K-Marted' their Craftsman brand, cutting costs and quality on basically everything. What used to last a lifetime barely lasts a couple years, or in my torque wrench's case, a brake job. I've got through more Craftsman 3/8" ratchets than I care to think about. It used to be no big deal, because you could just go to Sears and get a replacement. Now, how many Sears stores are in your general area? For me, in Central Florida, I have three stores within about a 50 mile drive. When I lived in Charleston, SC? None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. If I wanted a warranty replacement, I'd need to drive to Savannah, GA, two hours in each direction.

No thanks. Kobalt and Husky are better tools at around the same price point, with as good or a better warranty, and complete national store coverage.

JR

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully they can revive the brand. Options are always nice as is competition. With big box stores carrying them hopefully that eases warranty issues again

I do like snap on, and especially their specialty tools, but to me a wrench is a wrench. I have 3 snap on ratchets and 3 craftsman, only one I've broke is one of the snap on but it was my fault for using a 3/8 when a 1/2 was needed. Everyday use I can't justify snap on, matco prices. If I was rich, sure.

I did used to work with a guy who had almost exclusively craftsman for work and snap on for home cause he said snap on wouldn't scratch the chrome as easy on his Harley, not sure if that's b.s. but it was his reasoning

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Most of my Craftsman and Snap-On hand tools are 30-40 years old. In the past 5 years I have bought a set of combination box end and 1/4 drive deep sockets used or NOS Craftsman off ebay. Power tools I use are a combination of Milwaukee or DeWalt and most of them are at least 25 years old.

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All my power tools are dewalt though none older than roughly 5 years. So far so good. No real reason I chose dewalt over any of the competition though

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I have tools from all makes. A lot of my generic tools like sockets, ratchets, chisels, and pliers are from Harbor Freight. Most, if not all, of these tools are lifetime warranty. If it breaks, bring it back to get a new one. The thing is, I've only ever had 1 thing from Harbor Freight break. Just because it's made in China or Taiwan doesn't necessarily mean it's bad quality. You can get bad quality stuff made in the US of A as well.

Specialty tools are a little different for me. I have torque wrenches from a variety of manufacturers including CDI(Snap-On owns them), Neiko, and Gear Wrench. With specialty tools, I don't go with the cheapest out there. Instead, I do research and find out what works for everyone else.

As far as Craftsman, I don't put them any higher than Harbor Freight. Craftsman prices are higher but their quality isn't.
Sponsored