Sponsored

Rev limiter issue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Has anyone with an A/T run into issues with hitting the rev limiter before the 1-2 shift? Mine has done this since I bought it.. only happens when I'm under hard acceleration, pedal nearly floored (which is nearly never). It's done it mainly in sport mode, but a couple of times in the regular drive selection as well. Doesn't want to shift until I let off the throttle a bit.
Sponsored

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6, Race Red, 051a, Auto, CAI: Roush
Has anyone with an A/T run into issues with hitting the rev limiter before the 1-2 shift? Mine has done this since I bought it.. only happens when I'm under hard acceleration, pedal nearly floored (which is nearly never). It's done it mainly in sport mode, but a couple of times in the regular drive selection as well. Doesn't want to shift until I let off the throttle a bit.
We are both on same boat. I had this issue with my auto when I was racing a supra. :p I lost tho (Stock v6 vs modded Supra 400hp)

I had to let off a bit on throttle before it could shift into 2-3:frusty:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You are telling me the engine hits rev-limiter before the gearbox shifts?
How is that possible?

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are telling me the engine hits rev-limiter before the gearbox shifts?
How is that possible?
What I meant was, auto tranny refuses to shift into next gear under WOT as it gets sticky sometimes and I need to let off throttle a bit to get shifting into next gear.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What I meant was, auto tranny refuses to shift into next gear under WOT as it gets sticky sometimes and I need to let off throttle a bit to get shifting into next gear.
Well torque converter takes time to catch up. It will feel like the rpm just sit there while speed is climbing. The transmission looks at input and output speed difference to determine when shifting is the best.

Sponsored

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Clarkson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clarkson
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Ingot Silver Manual
During a test drive same thing happened. The salesperson just said that you need to let off the gas...

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Happens to me too but I believe thats just normal functioning for the trans. In "S" mode particularly it wants to hold the gear as long as possible to keep you in the powerband. I have had it happen to me in "D" but only under hard, hard driving. Pretty sure its normal! :cheers:

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
My understanding of the V6 auto tranny is in 1st to 2nd the torque converter floats then locks at 2nd throught 6th. A tuner will correct this I have a SCTx4 from SCT Sanford, FL and set the shifting firmness from factory 0 to +25% the increase is a very firm shift. The tuner also lets you set your REV limiter to 7200 RPM's

Sponsored

BamaSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, TT
Letting off the throttle while a AT is trying to complete a shift will damage the transmission in very short time. We address this issue with our aftermarket calibrations in both D and S modes as we also noticed the issue during our initial testing in stock trims.

Changing the shift pressure 0 to +25% as stated above will not fix this and SCT's pre-loaded tunes do not touch any transmission or converter settings...all stock unfortunately. Sure, you can bump the limiter out of the way but the motor does not make power up there so why stress the valvetrain and other parts

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Letting off the throttle while a AT is trying to complete a shift will damage the transmission in very short time. We address this issue with our aftermarket calibrations in both D and S modes as we also noticed the issue during our initial testing in stock trims.

Changing the shift pressure 0 to +25% as stated above will not fix this and SCT's pre-loaded tunes do not touch any transmission or converter settings...all stock unfortunately. Sure, you can bump the limiter out of the way but the motor does not make power up there so why stress the valvetrain and other parts
I always let off the throttle before shifting into next gear in manual mode using paddle shifters just like we do in manual trans. Do you think it will cause damage to my auto tranny ??? :eyebulge:

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Just put it in Drive and let the car do the work. Save the paddles for the twisties.

If you wanted to shift, you should have gotten a stick.

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
My 2015 v6 auto 3.55 will shut down full pump or hit rev limiter if not in the green zone for oil temp and or trans temp needs a good 20 minutes of driving to not shut down. So no hard runs with out all fluids up to normal temps or you will look silly. I wondered about this for months before figuring this out.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
My 2015 v6 auto 3.55 will shut down full pump or hit rev limiter if not in the green zone for oil temp and or trans temp needs a good 20 minutes of driving to not shut down. So no hard runs with out all fluids up to normal temps or you will look silly. I wondered about this for months before figuring this out.
That does sound right, I've ran my up to 6000 rpm's in 2nd then 3rd with the oil temps in both in the white and never shut anything down, and why having 3.55 have anything to do with the fuel pump sensor and the rev limiter. I have my rev limiter turned off and red line set at 7200rpm's
Sponsored