Sponsored

Rev limiter issue

BamaSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, TT
I always let off the throttle before shifting into next gear in manual mode using paddle shifters just like we do in manual trans. Do you think it will cause damage to my auto tranny ??? :eyebulge:
We defiantly do not suggest this. By the time you are letting off the throttle the transmission has already started the shift sequence and it will slip the transmission and cause damage
Sponsored

superdave592

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 v6 3.55
USMC V6
:shrug: I am not saying 3.55 rear has any bearing on the issue just supplying additional info. I don't get on my mustang very often but when I have and the rev limit kicked in it was not long after a cold start. I did read somewhere on this forum it may be linked to the engine oil or trans fluid not up to operating temp.
I don't jump out of bed and then instantly go for a run either. But when i have gone and made sure the temps where up then jumped down on it in sport mode sometimes it would churp 2nd. Just my observation maybe other things in play. Car is stock no tune. I am in the camp of if its not quick enough stock you bought the wrong car plenty of fast cars out there to buy. Hope this helps

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
USMC V6
:shrug: I am not saying 3.55 rear has any bearing on the issue just supplying additional info. I don't get on my mustang very often but when I have and the rev limit kicked in it was not long after a cold start. I did read somewhere on this forum it may be linked to the engine oil or trans fluid not up to operating temp.
I don't jump out of bed and then instantly go for a run either. But when i have gone and made sure the temps where up then jumped down on it in sport mode sometimes it would churp 2nd. Just my observation maybe other things in play. Car is stock no tune. I am in the camp of if its not quick enough stock you bought the wrong car plenty of fast cars out there to buy. Hope this helps
I got on it a couple time after just starting it in till I found the oil temp gauges now I wait in till it in the green. I sounds like you might have a bad sensor some were since it stock I'd have the dealer run a ECU check on it.

BamaSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, TT
USMC V6
This seems to be an issue with the ford factory calibrator...we have it resolved ;-)

The factory rev limiter is shortened by engine oil temp, coolant temp and time running....if you are looking for a ton more power and a real solution to this issue give our tuners a try!

gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang v6
Wow, yea this happens to me too, I wasn't sure if I was the only one, and the way I would just fix it would be by letting off the gas pedal because I felt that it never was going to change gears.. So what would be the fix? a tune?

Sponsored

15Black3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 3.7
If that's the case then what about downshifting with your foot off the gas?

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Are you guys sure you're not expecting it to shift AFTER you've touched the paddle shifters? I have no problem in D, but in S I hit the rev limiter once cause I expected it to shift but it didn't. I had just lowered the gear with the paddle shifters. If I don't touch them it's full auto. Once you touch the paddle shifters in S, you gotta use them.

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Letting off the throttle while a AT is trying to complete a shift will damage the transmission in very short time. We address this issue with our aftermarket calibrations in both D and S modes as we also noticed the issue during our initial testing in stock trims.

Changing the shift pressure 0 to +25% as stated above will not fix this and SCT's pre-loaded tunes do not touch any transmission or converter settings...all stock unfortunately. Sure, you can bump the limiter out of the way but the motor does not make power up there so why stress the valvetrain and other parts
wow this is good to know. I love the sound of the exhaust when I tried shifting like it was a manual but if your saying it will cause damage then I wont do that anymore. I wanted a 6mt but when I heard that the auto shift faster I went ahead and bought the auto.

OP
OP
barefootboatnik
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
No paddles involved with mine when it happens.. just mash the pedal and go. It's the main reason I never floor the accelerator.. it pretty much guarantees the 1-2 shift will be wonky, and I'll have to let off the accelerator for the shift to happen. Did it before AND after my Unleashed 91 tune. Kinda frustrating.. the 6, although the weakest engine in the lineup, is no slouch and I'd like to have access to all the power it offers, ya know?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I still don't believe the engine actually hit rev limiter in automatic mode. A little bit into the redline sure but rev limiter is not possible in auto mode.

Sponsored

15Black3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 3.7
Can someone tell me if downshifting with your foot off the gas is ok? Because bama mentioned not to Upshift when you're not on the gas so I was curious if downshifting was the same thing

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Can someone tell me if downshifting with your foot off the gas is ok? Because bama mentioned not to Upshift when you're not on the gas so I was curious if downshifting was the same thing
I don't really see why that can be an issue. If they knew it would cause issue, they wouldn't have put the feature in there.
I mean surely in the old times when automatic transmissions were vacuum controlled, the harshness of the shift or pressure to the clutches are regulated by vacuum so when you let off the gas while downshifting, there will be a very soft shift at higher rpm causing the clutch to slip more than needed. Modern computer controlled transmission does not have that kinda issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barefootboatnik
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I still don't believe the engine actually hit rev limiter in automatic mode. A little bit into the redline sure but rev limiter is not possible in auto mode.
Well, I'm no mechanic (obviously), so perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing. In S for sure (I seem to remember it happening once or twice in D, but in hindsight I could be mistaken on that), the engine redlines before the 1-2 shift, and power is cut. I don't mean a slight power reduction.. I mean throw you forward, SURPRISE!, no shift until I let off the accelerator.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
From what I understand 1st to 2nd the TQ converter is floating after 2nd it locks in place to 6th. My stang nevers see's D it S only and I paddle shift only that's the only reason I got a auto is to paddle shift, also if you don't want it to shift on it's own in S when you come to a stop just hit the - paddle it sets not to shift in till you shift it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well, I'm no mechanic (obviously), so perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing. In S for sure (I seem to remember it happening once or twice in D, but in hindsight I could be mistaken on that), the engine redlines before the 1-2 shift, and power is cut. I don't mean a slight power reduction.. I mean throw you forward, SURPRISE!, no shift until I let off the accelerator.
That is so weird. They definitely did not program the transmission software correctly. It shouldn't have happened unless in manual mode.
I hope Ford would come out with a updated flash.
My GT on the other hand, low rpm shifts are smooth, high rpm shifts are smooth. It's only at mid rpm especially from 1-2 at 3000rpm, the engine power would cut out just a tad too long and you have this jerkiness feeling when the torque comes back.
Sponsored