Sponsored

Requirements when changing wheels/tires?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I contacted my local Ford service guy and told him I was going to be replacing my P-Zero/PP wheels with SVE Drifts and DWS 06.

He quoted me a price for the tires. But also a few other things as well...

Continental extreme contact dws 06 in 285/35zr19. They are $297.00 each.
mounting and balance $103.00
sensor programing $59.50
alignment $104.95

My questions is about the sensors and alignment.

In another thread someone said that the sensors don't need programming....just buy a set, install them in the tire, and drive around and after 10-20mi. the car will recognize them. Was that BS?

As for the alignment, is it really needed if the car is otherwise fine, just because I'm using new wheels/tires?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I contacted my local Ford service guy and told him I was going to be replacing my P-Zero/PP wheels with SVE Drifts and DWS 06.

sensor programing $59.50
alignment $104.95

In another thread someone said that the sensors don't need programming....just buy a set, install them in the tire, and drive around and after 10-20mi. the car will recognize them. Was that BS?

As for the alignment, is it really needed if the car is otherwise fine, just because I'm using new wheels/tires?

Thanks!
You don't need the alignment...it won't hurt thou. Unless you got very specific alignment specs on mind, it ain't worth it.

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio

sensor programing $59.50
alignment $104.95

Thanks!
I don't know if they will work just by driving around. I bought some new wheels and a set of TPMS for the wheels. The kit also came with the tool. It only takes a few minutes to reprogram then. You can find the video on you tube. Al least now I have the tool for if I make another change.

Look at the tires coming off, they are a good indication if you need an alignment.

Overall all the prices are high.

moreause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
i got some pressure sensor from ford racing with the tool

i tested my luck ... and just went for a drive and indeed the tool WAS NOT needed in my case ... they just started to work after 10 minutes of driving

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
thats high you can get dws cheaper for sure .. and you dont need to reprogram the sensors.. i swapped a guy my stock 18s i had on my old 16 for his sve drifts with sensors and by the time i drove home(40 miles) they were done..

Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I wouldn't get them installed at ford. You can go to any good tire shop and get a better rate on install, tires, and not have to program the sensors or get an alignment. If you've never had an alignment and you've had the car a while and/or put a good bit of miles on it, it wouldn't hurt to get one though.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I bought some sensors off eBay and discount tire couldn’t get them programmed. Drove the dealership and told them. They programmed them for free. In and out in 5 minutes.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
DT will price match if you show them your internet prices...

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I would at least get the alignment checked. If you are going to spend the money on new tires, the piece of mind should be reassuring. Plus most shops will check the alignment for cheap. If it is still in factory specs, the will back it off rack for $20 or less

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would at least get the alignment checked. If you are going to spend the money on new tires, the piece of mind should be reassuring. Plus most shops will check the alignment for cheap. If it is still in factory specs, the will back it off rack for $20 or less
The alignment was just done at around 5k by Ford, covered under warranty. If it needs another one when I get her on the road again in the Spring at less than 6k miles, I'll be having a chat with Ford.

I understand a good pot hole can throw it off but I don't hit any major bumps when driving this car. Always careful to avoid them.

Thanks

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought some sensors off eBay and discount tire couldn’t get them programmed. Drove the dealership and told them. They programmed them for free. In and out in 5 minutes.
As we can see from the price list I was quoted, it's definitely not free at my local dealership.

And I definitely wouldn't buy the tires from Ford when I can get the same through Walmart or Tirerack for about $100 less per wheel.

I was just curious about an alignment and sensor programming being a required thing with new wheels/tires.

But from your reply is sounds like just driving around on them for 10mi. didn't automatically program them. Doesn't match up with the other replies. I wonder what the difference is.

abharwani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Premium
What is DT?

Thanks
Discount Tire. I had DT install my eBay sensors for free and they synced after a few miles of driving.

Just FYI, Firestone has lifetime alignments for around $200 (sometimes they have deals for cheaper). I've had it on all my cars and it pays for itself if you get it done twice.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
if it helps, this is what I ordered, Ford OEM sensors for 70 bucks shipped off amazon and they snyched right up to my 15 and 17 within a few miles.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As we can see from the price list I was quoted, it's definitely not free at my local dealership.

And I definitely wouldn't buy the tires from Ford when I can get the same through Walmart or Tirerack for about $100 less per wheel.

I was just curious about an alignment and sensor programming being a required thing with new wheels/tires.

But from your reply is sounds like just driving around on them for 10mi. didn't automatically program them. Doesn't match up with the other replies. I wonder what the difference is.
Fwiw, I bought a set of wheels with OE sensors and they registered almost immediately after putting them on. You don't need a programmer.
Sponsored