2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Dweisman429

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Take a look at the tire you plan on buying. They will have the specs on it as to what range of wheel width they recommend it be mounted on. That is your first step

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
you will need a 9" to 10.5 " rim width to properly use that size tire.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
So once again as stated by the good Hoosier from Dubois County, go to the Dunlop website, pull up the tire size and see what the maker recommends for rim width. Then ask your tire provider. That's what I always do. I don't look for someone to do my searching for me.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I just bought 275/35's for my autoX tires, but I'm running them on 9" wide wheels - the stock EB Performance Pack wheels. From the manufacturer's tire info, a 9" wheel was the minimum recommended. The 275/35 is also slightly shorter than the stock 255/40's, and they make a noticeable increase in the wheel opening gap. Maybe not a big deal, but something to be aware of. Nice tire size calculator / comparison here: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I think you'll find that a 9" wheel is the minimum recommended for a 275 in either 35 or 40 series. Doesn't mean you can't get them installed, but it was some work for the technicians to install the 275/35's on my 9" wheels. Going to a 40 series would fill the wheel opening gap a little better without lowering the car, and may be easier to install, if that matters.

OP
OP
v8chelokabab

v8chelokabab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ali
Vehicle(s)
I just got back from the garage, they managed to fit the 275/35s on the stock 8.5rim, wasn't too difficult from what i saw and once the tire fit they were cool with it. Now im just wondering, what kind of negative effects could this have on performance? and if I should be making any adjustments to the tire pressure?

I didn't get to really test how the setup handles now but from the short drive back it felt as if the car initially dips going into a corner and sort of finds equilibrium right after? Feels more wobbly in other words... then again.. maybe I'm imagining things, car was wobbly in corners before too.... idk.. maybe if I change the 245s upfront to a 255 that would make a difference?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Firstly, get 2-300 miles on them before you judge them too harshly. You need to scrub them in before they'll grip right. New tires need a couple days of use.

Also if your previous tires were pretty worn down, the full size tread blocks on the new (and soft fresh) tires will feel squirmy by comparison. Happens every time.

All that sad, will there be negative effects from mounting a 275 on an 8.5" tire? Yeah they won't work as well as if you mounted them on a 10 or 10.5 wheel. You're not getting very good support from the too-narrow wheel and the softer shoulder on this not-so-performance tire will probably allow a lot of side to side movement of the tread. You could try running a little higher pressures and see if that helps, but you'll probably end up putting even less rubber contacting the road than you already are from running too large of a tire on too narrow of a wheel.

So give it a couple of days. Keep in mind new tires feel squirmy by comparison, play with air pressures, and it is what it is.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm confused why did you want advice to ignore it? I mean I hope it works for you but if u we're going to do it anyways why ask?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
wheels are cheap, especially if spooning on wide rubber for just the rear. LIke $150 each is not hard to come by.

OP
OP
v8chelokabab

v8chelokabab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ali
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused why did you want advice to ignore it? I mean I hope it works for you but if u we're going to do it anyways why ask?
haha man you caught me with that one.. I was looking for confirmation bias, someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about to gimme the go ahead. Can't have no muscle car sitting on anything less than 275.
I think wheels are the next thing I add to the car.. that and the 2018 manifold. Thank you all for your time and effort much appreciate it! stang gang baby
Sponsored