Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
All I’ll say to this is that the forums didn’t create this, Ford did. I’ve been involved in quite a few different car forums and I can quite honestly say I’ve never seen a thread in any other one dedicated solely to blown engines. That says something whether you want to believe it or not.

I’m glad you’ve had great luck with your car, but a lot of us haven’t as evidenced by this thread and others I’ve seen over 2 1/2 years with a GT350 and on this forum. I really hope it continues for you because it really sucks when it goes the other way and it can change in an instant.
To be fair, that isn't true.

There's a rod bearing tracker on many E92 forums.
There is a transmission failure tracker on Cayman GT4 sites (THAT is a high failure rate)
There are 991.1 GT3 engine failure trackers
Z06 overheating trackers... Auto trans issue trackers...

Every high performance vehicle has an issue. What concerns me regarding the GT350 is the lack of an identified issue apart from oil consumption, which is more of a symptom than anything.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
All I’ll say to this is that the forums didn’t create this, Ford did. I’ve been involved in quite a few different car forums and I can quite honestly say I’ve never seen a thread in any other one dedicated solely to blown engines. That says something whether you want to believe it or not..
Considering that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of models of cars, each with multiple engine choices, "quite a few" forums are not much of a sample.

I've likely visit fewer car forums than you and know of this thread: https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...-forum/613529-2-0t-bad-pistons-roll-call.html

Since I know of that thread and have visited forums for maybe a dozen car models, if I used your logic I would conclude that 1/12 of all car models suffer from engine failures common enough for there to be threads about it.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5

There is a transmission failure tracker on Cayman GT4 sites (THAT is a high failure rate)

Every high performance vehicle has an issue. What concerns me regarding the GT350 is the lack of an identified issue apart from oil consumption, which is more of a symptom than anything.
For me it’s true as I’ve never owned any of those cars.

Considering that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of models of cars, each with multiple engine choices, "quite a few" forums are not much of a sample.

I've likely visit fewer car forums than you and know of this thread: https://www.cadillacforums.com/foru...-forum/613529-2-0t-bad-pistons-roll-call.html

Since I know of that thread and have visited forums for maybe a dozen car models, if I used your logic I would conclude that 1/12 of all car models suffer from engine failures common enough for there to be threads about it.
I don’t hang out on forums that of cars that I don’t own. I was only talking about my personal experience with cars I’ve owned etc. I also obviously wasn’t trying to make it a scientific “sample size” either.

@cosmo, I did know about the E92 rod bearing issue, I had forgotten about it though.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Still have it, owned it for 31 years. A few pics and some history on this old website I setup many years ago. One of these days I need to update it...

http://wasaac.org/dmgt350/

Damn, what a beautiful car. :like:

My heyday was back in the 60's and 70's so this car brings back a lot of memories.

I had a 1969 Ford Torino with a 428 Super CobraJet engine. Sold it in the 70's for peanuts (I think $700.00). :cwl:

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Agree with you. At least we know exactly what went wrong in a GT3/GT4/Z06. Ford simply takes the failed engine back and not allowing owners/dealers to investigate. This only raises more concern.
If it is indeed a small problem during manufacturing process, identify the affected engine and fix it.
If it is a design flaw (which seems unlikely based on the failed %), do something like Porsche: e.g. extend engine warranty on specific parts.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Agree with you. At least we know exactly what went wrong in a GT3/GT4/Z06. Ford simply takes the failed engine back and not allowing owners/dealers to investigate. This only raises more concern.
If it is indeed a small problem during manufacturing process, identify the affected engine and fix it.
If it is a design flaw (which seems unlikely based on the failed %), do something like Porsche: e.g. extend engine warranty on specific parts.
You are wrong. None of those manufacturers tell you what went wrong. At least in the case of GT3/GT4 and BMW M3, its a very black box process. The only reason we know it was rod bearings was thanks to the power of internet with many owners with failed engines coming together and identifying.

For example GT4 has a transmission issue on the 3rd gear but we have no idea why. We dont know if its an assembly issue or design issue or an issue with engine compatibility. Most likely we’ll never know.

These types of blown engines and failures are extremely common in widely produced sports cars.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
maybe this is a situation in which ford could "go further" and give some kind of statement regarding the voodoo. perhaps they could leak something intentionally that would satisfy customers and take the uneasiness away.
ford is in real trouble but they act like they can ignore it and somehow everything will work out in the end. from my experience, they are making the decision to buy their products very difficult. i've always had positive purchasing/owning experiences with fords but something has changed. they produce a car that i want more than anything else available today but their awful dealer network and a 42 page thread on here about potential engine issues, to go along with reported oil consumption, a/c failures that years into production have not been fixed, as well as panel gaps (rear bumper!) that are not acceptable on a new car.........has me at the moment afraid to pull the trigger. forget what other manufacturers have hid under the rug. ford can do better and they should. staying quiet only builds suspicion and pushes potential buyers in other directions which actually compounds the problem for ford. one, they obviously don't sell as many of the halo cars that are supposed to bring people in. second, it reduces the likelihood of buying other ford products. if the stock price is any indication, ford needs to start taking a different approach. my wife is car shopping at the moment and ford is not even on the list mainly due to my lack of faith in them handling issues with their cars and the fact they have by far the WORST dealers in our area.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
[QUOTE="Atlas1, post: 2333296, member: 36423"they produce a car that i want more than anything else available today but their awful dealer network and a 42 page thread on here about potential engine issues, to go along with reported oil consumption, a/c failures that years into production have not been fixed, as well as panel gaps (rear bumper!) that are not acceptable on a new car.........has me at the moment afraid to pull the trigger. forget what other manufacturers have hid under the rug. ford can do better and they should. staying quiet only builds suspicion and pushes potential buyers in other directions which actually compounds the problem for ford. one, they obviously don't sell as many of the halo cars that are supposed to bring people in. [/QUOTE]

They haven't had any problems selling GT350s, hence why they have lengthened the run on these cars by at least 1 more year. I doubt they will have any problem selling GT500s as well.

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You are wrong. None of those manufacturers tell you what went wrong. At least in the case of GT3/GT4 and BMW M3, its a very black box process. The only reason we know it was rod bearings was thanks to the power of internet with many owners with failed engines coming together and identifying.

For example GT4 has a transmission issue on the 3rd gear but we have no idea why. We dont know if its an assembly issue or design issue or an issue with engine compatibility. Most likely we’ll never know.

These types of blown engines and failures are extremely common in widely produced sports cars.
Porsche didn’t forbidden dealerships to open the GT3 engines. That is how the camshaft/finger follower issues were discovered and eventually led to 10-year engine warranty. This will never happen if Porsche prevent dealers from investigation.

GT4 3rd gear problem is a black box. Failed box were sent back to Germany directly. However, it mostly affects cars produced during a specific period of time. Replaced transmission has few new part numbers and we rarely saw repetitive transmission replacements on one car. Unlikely to be a design flaw.

What do we know about GT350 issues other than burning oil which led to engine replacement? When engine fails, Ford doesn’t allow dealerships to open the engine. Or in Sccobs’ case, engine replaced just because of ‘bad valve sealing’?

Yes you can call it normal or common. –and for sure, Ford will continue calling it normal and remain silence if owners believe burning oil, engine blown is normal.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
got my car back after engine replacement last night!

....JUUUUUST kidding, i drove it a mile and it threw 3 misfire codes, so i took it right back and parked it at the dealer and left em the keys. kinda hope it's a crank relearn away from being ok, kinda hope it catches fire.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
got my car back after engine replacement last night!

....JUUUUUST kidding, i drove it a mile and it threw 3 misfire codes, so i took it right back and parked it at the dealer and left em the keys. kinda hope it's a crank relearn away from being ok, kinda hope it catches fire.
This is exactly what happened to my 16 and that is what it 99% is. The good news is that it only took 15 minutes to fix and would of been shorter, but the mechanic had a hard time getting the computer to talk to the car.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
This is exactly what happened to my 16 and that is what it 99% is. The good news is that it only took 15 minutes to fix and would of been shorter, but the mechanic had a hard time getting the computer to talk to the car.
i am unfamiliar with the process, and apparently my nGauge could've done it. i was just so mad i couldn't see straight, much less think to simply google the codes i was pulling. from reading others with the same codes, it was a crank relearn once, a cracked manifold once, and 2 buybacks lol.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
i am unfamiliar with the process, and apparently my nGauge could've done it. i was just so mad i couldn't see straight, much less think to simply google the codes i was pulling. from reading others with the same codes, it was a crank relearn once, a cracked manifold once, and 2 buybacks lol.
At least you found out then. They had mine for over two months to fix the engine and then it was December in MN. They were nice enough to pay for a flat bed to bring it to my house. That went fine and stored it in the garage etc until spring........

Started it up all excited April the next year and about a mile down the road it did the same thing yours did. Mad wasn’t the word I’d use. But, like I said, I drove it there and it was good to go 15 minutes later.

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
At least you found out then. They had mine for over two months to fix the engine and then it was December in MN. They were nice enough to pay for a flat bed to bring it to my house. That went fine and stored it in the garage etc until spring........

Started it up all excited April the next year and about a mile down the road it did the same thing yours did. Mad wasn’t the word I’d use. But, like I said, I drove it there and it was good to go 15 minutes later.
There's a lesson for you there. Buy a set of winter tires and drive that B-word through the minnesota winter.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Getting mine lemoned in Texas. 3 months in the dealership shop since Nov. 2017. Went in today to be play reasonable and give them the option and of making me happy. Actually wasn't even considering lemoning it. Then they said they'd take my lemon off me and I'd give them $13,000 for a brand spanking new 2018 (as his tongue slithered)...Are you fucking kidding me?...My ride is a 2017 with 4500 miles...I called them out for trying to fuck me. I said this car is a piece of shit and now you want to ding me $13,000 for getting whole again? Unfuckingbelievable....Did I mention I am still waiting for a rear CV that was on backorder for 5 weeks, 3 months ago.

Any good lawyers in the Austin area?

I'll stick with the platform but want to be made whole.

Last edited: