Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The engine is what it is. Too late to do anything about it now (at least for us individuals). Best we can do is drive the hell out it and enjoy the ride. If the engine pops you get a new one, either through Ford or the aftermarket. The failure rate is definitely concerning, but there isn’t any point in worrying about something out of your control. Control what you can (oil level, fuel quality, change interval), but otherwise just drive.

Maybe eventually we will get enough data to determine what exactly to worry about and how to improve it, but for now I don’t think there is enough data to warrant any preventive measures. Seems best to keep the car stock and rely on the warranty if necessary.

I do think it is perfectly understandable that many would not want to continue owning a car with such baggage, so for some, selling it might be a good option. For me, I’m driving this thing into the ground, and will react as required if (when?) something happens. For now, I just check my oil every 1000 miles or so, add several quarts between changes, and keep racking up the miles. Keeping the fingers crossed that I got lucky, but there is really nothing else that I can do. I’ve therefore decided to enjoy the car for as long as it lasts. I’ve made peace with that, and hope everyone is able to find their own solution that gives them a similar level of calm. Good luck to all of us!

Also, FYI, recently Formula 1 cars were allowed to burn 1 liter of oil per 100 kilometers. I believe that works out to a quart every 50 miles. They are also only allowed 3 engines for the whole season, so they do need to last quite a while. The point is that burning oil isn’t necessarily a problem, as long as the car is designed that way. Hopefully the relatively loose piston rings on the GT350 mean that some burning oil isn’t an issue.

-T

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Personally, I like the analysis being done and I fully understand and accept the numbers may not be representative of the actual % of cars blowing their engines. I also find it interesting that there are cars that use oil and cars that don't, and many of us seem to accept some oil usage. What we are really accepting is the inconsistencies of the QC on a hand built engine. I would be pissed if my engine used oil and others did not. If all these engines used a little oil than that would be fine with me as they are performance motors. That is not the case. I thought I was one of the lucky ones to have a 2017, 2500 mile GT350 that did not use a drop of oil until a large hole developed in the block. Shit happens and I understand that but these cars should have more reliable engines than I am seeing, regardless of the perceived failure rate. One additional note that may piss off a few. If you don't drive your car on the track then you really have not pushed the engine for extended periods of time so I would not expect you to throw a rod through the block. However, I would expect you to check your oil and never, ever, let an engine with 10 qts of oil run dry to where it trashes the engine.
Yep, checking oil is an old concept.
WP_20180614_002.jpg

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
Who here has ever needed to check oil so often on a street car?
Something is going on here, and my little statistical analysis on the only data set available to me was my attempt to at least begin to quantify it, within all of the constraints I freely shared.
On a lighter note, I have gotten a multitude responses thanking me for this little data exercise.
Every hot rod car I've owned used oil and I checked the oil on a regular basis on all of them and I've been doing this for well over 50 years. When I ran'm hard they all used oil.

I understand your methodology and have no concerns about an engine failure based on your work. :)

The "Law of Large Numbers" has been very good to me and has helped pay for all my toys including my GT350.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Good Information

The engine is what it is. Too late to do anything about it now (at least for us individuals). Best we can do is drive the hell out it and enjoy the ride. If the engine pops you get a new one, either through Ford or the aftermarket. The failure rate is definitely concerning, but there isn’t any point in worrying about something out of your control. Control what you can (oil level, fuel quality, change interval), but otherwise just drive.

Maybe eventually we will get enough data to determine what exactly to worry about and how to improve it, but for now I don’t think there is enough data to warrant any preventive measures. Seems best to keep the car stock and rely on the warranty if necessary.

I do think it is perfectly understandable that many would not want to continue owning a car with such baggage, so for some, selling it might be a good option. For me, I’m driving this thing into the ground, and will react as required if (when?) something happens. For now, I just check my oil every 1000 miles or so, add several quarts between changes, and keep racking up the miles. Keeping the fingers crossed that I got lucky, but there is really nothing else that I can do. I’ve therefore decided to enjoy the car for as long as it lasts. I’ve made peace with that, and hope everyone is able to find their own solution that gives them a similar level of calm. Good luck to all of us!

Also, FYI, recently Formula 1 cars were allowed to burn 1 liter of oil per 100 kilometers. I believe that works out to a quart every 50 miles. They are also only allowed 3 engines for the whole season, so they do need to last quite a while. The point is that burning oil isn’t necessarily a problem, as long as the car is designed that way. Hopefully the relatively loose piston rings on the GT350 mean that some burning oil isn’t an issue.

-T
I don't follow Formula 1 very closely, so that is interesting. But, I bought a street car that also has emission controls like catalytic converters. I have no idea, say if a car is burning through a quart of oil every 1000 miles, how does running 50 or 60 quarts of oil through them effect them? Maybe it doesn't go through them because it is somehow "vaporized" prior. But since no one here seems to know where it is going, it is a question.... Were our cars "designed that way?" I would love for someone to answer that.

I am interested to see what the final results of the Car & Driver 40,000 mile test of their Shelby are. No doubt, despite their denials, staffers are driving the snot out of it most of the time. Latest news was that its oil consumption was rising sharply.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
We current/former twin turbo RX-7 owners are used to checking oil levels frequently :). Rotary engines are designed to burn oil, it's injected into the combustion chamber for lubrication of the apex seals. If you drove them hard on the street, you could use a quart in 600 miles.

It would seem to me that the GT350 is a better track car than street car....and as a track car owners know to check their oil levels at every meet.

That said, it's not asking too much for Ford to put an oil level indicator somewhere on the cluster. GT500 maybe?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Seems like a common theme for you.
Once again, your reading comprehension fails you. The spat didn't involve me.

And once again, I find you trolling me. I'm going to ask politely that you stay out of my business here and I will stay out of yours.

Ok?

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

-T

Actually, F1 engine designers encourage oil burning in their engines.... And if it's controlled, it can help make more power.

F1 teams have a way to manage oil burn...... by regulating crankcase pressure. One method involves regulating crankcase pressure using system scavenger pumps of their dry-sump lubrication systems, which allows oil around the piston and into the chamber. The other involves an ECU-controlled solenoid that lets crankcase pressure escape into the engine's intake system.

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Mine is going through a litre of oil every 300-500 km depending on how I drive. I suspect I'm probably looking at a new long block. I doubt it will blow in the meantime as I've always checked the oil in this one, as I do in all my vehicles, and I noticed this one burns oil well before I read about it here.

Anyway I pulled in this morning for the 500 km check, yes down 1 litre, and another GT350 pulled in behind me. I waited for @ 40 minutes while they did the oil test and came out to find 4 mustangs ( including the GT350 s ) waiting for service.
Sorry to hear this. Still used to using miles instead of KM, so 500 KM is about
300 miles, I guess. I suppose Ford will put you on an oil usage monitoring test? If your engine is burning a quart in every 300 miles or less, I think it could be considered a failing (blown motor) which requires complete replacement. I truly hope that is not the case for you.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seemed to burn a little initially but it seems to have sealed up for the most part.

I added .5 qt at 1500 miles, which I probably needed to add .4 quarts, as it was a little too much. As of last night at 3300 and 2 track days it still is sitting just over the full mark by just a tick.

Flounder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt 350
Just got my 2017R back today from motor replacement (excessive oil consumption). AC not working well as i drove and continued to get worse. Returned to dealer and need compressor and belt replaced. Thankfully they had parts in stock and are replacing today working overtime. Great Dealer.
I'm keeping the car as i really enjoy it. Will post after i get a few thousand miles and let yall know about any oil consumption on new motor.
Had a 17 350 that had around 5500 miles on it when i sold it. 1 quart of oil consumed. Did have to replace the AC system on that one as well.

My advice to anyone considering this car: Buy it. Would only pay invoice on GT350 and maybe 200 over invoice on R.
MY thought is Dealers know there are issues and are ready to deal, or will soon. I've had 3 dealers call me in the last week that i last contacted over 6 months ago when trying to buy the R.