Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP 1 Magneride
Hi everyone!

I wanted to get your opinion about what to do about my dealer in the Bay Area

Disclaimer: I have trust issues with this dealer, since they replaced a supposedly leaking MagneRide strut (which I had never had problems with) because of a squeaking noise (which is still there BTW). However, I have an extended warranty, and the dealer is the only one close by, so I need to deal with them for warranty work.

I brought the car 2 weeks ago because the pre-collision assist stopped working. I told them to also check the transmission for a grinding noise that happens sometimes when releasing the throttle in hills. Nothing serious: I feel that the noise has always been there, but was wondering if they could do a KAM reset or change the transmission oil (the car has 55K miles)

One week later they called me and they told me that the car may need a new engine, because they hade identified a weird ticking noise (pretty sure is the typewriter tick). The car has never had a check engine light, it doesn't burn oil (have been doing synthetic oil changes every 5-6K miles), it has same mileage as always, and it runs like new from day 1. I told them if I could take the car to my trusted mechanic, and they answered that I shouldn't move the car, because there was a risk of critical engine failure and the warranty not covering it (which I think is a lie). However, since that moment, they have put 10 extra miles in the car (I'm checking with the app)

I am not super worried about the money, because the car is still under warranty (both powertrain + Ford PremiumCare). But is this normal? Should I ask for the car ASAP and bring it to my trusted mechanic? I talked to my trusted mechanic and he told me that if they don't make me pay anything and that I don't need the car right now, I should leave it with them, just in case. But I am still super suspicious.

Thank you all!
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
if I understand correctly I would make a surprise visit to dealer and ask to be taken to your car to go over the issues/noises. If they try to deny you I would be very suspicious . and how could moving the car (if the engine is already damaged beyond repair) void the repair/warranty ?

OP
OP
illanxr

illanxr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
if I understand correctly I would make a surprise visit to dealer and ask to be taken to your car to go over the issues/noises. If they try to deny you I would be very suspicious . and how could moving the car (if the engine is already damaged beyond repair) void the repair/warranty ?
That's a great idea. I'll pay them a visit. I think what they said about the warranty was bullshit: it doesn't make any sense

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
I dont think they replace for the tick - i can say they will for rattle... at least mine was. it was a "grinding" sort of rattle between 2-3500rpm. i have a post on it.. it was an ordeal...

Sponsored

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
if worried def call ford corp and start a ticket w/them - they will stay on top of dealer and keep you informed...mostly...

OP
OP
illanxr

illanxr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
I dont think they replace for the tick - i can say they will for rattle... at least mine was. it was a "grinding" sort of rattle between 2-3500rpm. i have a post on it.. it was an ordeal...
I am reading your post right now. Man, that was quite an adventure. But I didn't know some of the things about the Lemon Law. At least I know that after 30 days I can start a proper claim. I'll reach out to Ford Corp right now!

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I am reading your post right now. Man, that was quite an adventure. But I didn't know some of the things about the Lemon Law. At least I know that after 30 days I can start a proper claim. I'll reach out to Ford Corp right now!
lemon laws vary from state to state...let me know if any questions. got to drive mine a little more... still no issues.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I must be missing something here.

You’re going to get a free warranted engine after driving the car 55K and you want a second opinion?

I don’t get it. Who cares if they’re full of it or not?

OP
OP
illanxr

illanxr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
lemon laws vary from state to state...let me know if any questions. got to drive mine a little more... still no issues.
Looks like in CA, after 30 days at the dealer if you don't give your written consent, it is considered a lemon

Sponsored
OP
OP
illanxr

illanxr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Illan
Vehicle(s)
I must be missing something here.

You’re going to get a free warranted engine after driving the car 55K and you want a second opinion?

I don’t get it. Who cares if they’re full of it or not?
You are totally right. I think I am just pissed because the communication has been horrible and they don't offer me a rental or a replacement in the meantime, which sucks...

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You are totally right. I think I am just pissed because the communication has been horrible and they don't offer me a rental or a replacement in the meantime, which sucks...
i didnt get one at first either, once its all approved thru ford u may get one, its not a guaranteed thing though... plus rental cars are at premium... i had mine for 4 1/2 months... it was over 6k in fees...

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Just being close by, is not a great reason to keep using a dealer you don't trust.

The Bay Area must have more than one Ford dealer?

Move the car IMO.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I get what you're saying. I know others are saying you're getting a free engine with 0 miles if they replace it, but will the dealer actually install it correctly and not make things a living hell? I've heard stories about dealerships replacing things only to mess things up more. Even simple oil changes and over filling. Heck, when I had my Ford Performance Calibration pack put on just to keep my warranty they put my throttle body adapter on upside down! Even with printed instructions that came with it and pictures they couldn't do it right. It's the easiest thing to install and they couldnt. So I'd be leary of just having things replaced if not needed too.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I will give some experience I have had with extended warranties- not ford branded ones however. So keep that in mind, this may not apply. If they can get out of paying for something they will try. If we make a recommendation and the repair is approved by the warranty, and then the customer takes the car without repairing, it becomes “customer caused neglect” and no longer covered. This is because “the customer is knowingly causing further damage”. We have had this exact scenario play out, customer took car with a rod knock and was going to return when they could afford the deductible. Unfortunately, it came back finally on a flat bed tow truck with a hole in the block. Claim was denied due to neglect. If you were to TOW it to another shop and had the paperwork to prove it, I would think you would be OK. It would be a good idea to check the contract to see if it has any mention of this scenario or something similar.
Sponsored

Last edited: