Removing the CFTP camber plate screw pins

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Reference the pdf attachment at the end of this post that contains the Ford procedure for removing the camber set screw pins.

Job 2 CFTP GT500s come equipped with the camber plates already installed. Great news, eh? Well, not really. The factory pins the plates in place because they don't want the extra step of adjusting the camber at the factory. What this means to any job 2 CFTP owner is that if you want to achieve the track alignment specifications, you will have to remove the pin screws that are built into the camber plates.

Today I decided to remove the camber plate pin screws that the factory installed. I'm going to go over the various steps in the procedure to save you some heartache. The procedure as presented by Ford is not entirely correct.

I'll go over what I did and what I found to be inconsistent with the procedure outlined by Ford.

Please reference the attached procedure (courtesy of @Epiphany) and follow along step by step with my notes.

Step 1. Self explanatory

Step 2. I used jackstands and raised the entire vehicle up at all 4 points.

Step 3. The procedure is to verify that the set screws are in place. I didn't take a photo of the screws in place, but you will see 3 nuts on the bottom side of the plate that receive the screws. If you see screws in the nuts, then this procedure is required if you wish to adjust your camber.

Step 4. Self explanatory. Take a photo before you unbolt the sensor to ensure you put it back exactly as it was.

Step 5. The procedure is as depicted, however you will need a 17mm open ended wrench to keep the bolt spinning as you loosen the nut. The bolt has a 17mm spot on the other side of the bracket for you to use to keep it from turning as you try to remove the nut. The bolt will probably be not on center with the bracket hole. You can either use a floor jack under the rotor (use a few lug nuts to secure the rotor to the hub) and raise the strut enough to align the bolt to the bracket or use your hand to raise the stabilizer bar so that it can be removed. I see no reason to throw away the nut.

stabilizer bar2.jpg

Step 6. Again, self explanatory. Take a photo of the exact routing of the wires and where the relief connectors are located.

Step 7. Self explanatory. It is important to remove the harnesses as depicted because the strut will be dropped enough that will cause damage if enough relief is not provided to the harnesses.

Step 8. I see no reason to discard those nuts. Before removing them, use a floor jack to hold the strut up. Place it under the rotor and be sure to bolt the rotor to the hub with lug nuts so that the rotor can bear the load of the weight of the strut and its components. The assembly is heavy. Understand that the rotor can turn, so be careful.

use a jack.jpg

Step 9. Here is where we deviate from the procedure. I found that the strut will not lower enough to get it out from under the strut tower. This is not a big deal. It will lower enough so that you can get tools above the camber plate so that you can remove the screws from above the strut tower. The strut will freely move around in the strut tower so that you can gain access to the angles needed to work from above. Caution, I would not try to lower the strut to comply with the procedure from Ford. If you do, you may damage the various suspension components. I think this was a mistake by Ford. The strut didn't seem to want to lower to the point that it will come out to work on.

Step 10. Working from above in the engine compartment. I used a 1/4" drive extension. I would set the hex tool to interface with the screw and then align the strut tower by hand so that I could use a 1/4" ratchet with extension. Again, the strut moves around enough so that you can get to each screw one at a time.

camber plate pin removal.jpg

camber plate pin removal2.jpg

screw pin.jpg

Step 11. Now its time to put it all together again. I used the same floor jack that was holding the suspension up. Slowly raise the strut using the floor jack and reference the strut mounts as the approach the strut tower holes. Take your time and when the strut mounts are in place, replace the 3 strut mount nuts but don't torque them down yet until you set the camber to full outboard (which is coincidental to the pinned position from the factory). As soon as the strut is positioned to full outboard, go ahead and torque them down.

use a jack2.jpg

strut mount nuts removed.jpg

strut mount nuts.jpg

torque strut mount nuts.jpg

Step 12. I found that the full outboard position as depicted in the procedure wound up being the same exact camber setting as it was before the procedure. I see now why ford uses these pins, it saves them from having to align the camber at the factory. The full outboard position is exactly as it was when the setscrew pins were in place. As long as you don't change your camber setting, you shouldn't have to change your tow. Changing your camber to a more negative setting will change your tow towards a more positive setting. So my point is, don't change your camber and the tow shouldn't change either.

Step 13 until completion. Assembly is in the reverse order as disassembly. Use a torque wrench for all referenced torque settings.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Brilliant. Great write-up. If I'd have known you were doing this I'd have brought mine over and you could do it next :giggle:

Taking mine to the dealership in the morning as I just didn't want to tackle this one right now.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Brilliant. Great write-up. If I'd have known you were doing this I'd have brought mine over and you could do it next :giggle:

Taking mine to the dealership in the morning as I just didn't want to tackle this one right now.
The biggest thing about the procedure is that the strut doesn't come out. Taking it to the dealership, your tech will have the same document I was working from. IMHO if you try to force the strut lower, you will put undue stress on the rest of the suspension components. I dont think it will dip low enough to get it out of the tower.

Taking it to the dealership might relieve you of having to do it yourself, but if he tries to push down that strut down to get it out of the tower, man, that would be bad.

If you have a floor jack, you can follow the procedure close enough and remove the screw pins with not a whole lot of effort. My concern with turning this over to someone else is they may or may not come to the same conclusion and really honk on that strut to remove it from the tower.

Lastly, the procedure calls for a realignment. If you are setting the strut to the most outboard position, you dont need to realign. The outboard position is the same that the strut was pinned to before you started.

GOAMERICA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Porsche Cayman S, 2008 Honda S2000
The biggest thing about the procedure is that the strut doesn't come out. Taking it to the dealership, your tech will have the same document I was working from. IMHO if you try to force the strut lower, you will put undue stress on the rest of the suspension components. I dont think it will dip low enough to get it out of the tower.

Taking it to the dealership might relieve you of having to do it yourself, but if he tries to push down that strut down to get it out of the tower, man, that would be bad.

If you have a floor jack, you can follow the procedure close enough and remove the screw pins with not a whole lot of effort. My concern with turning this over to someone else is they may or may not come to the same conclusion and really honk on that strut to remove it from the tower.

Lastly, the procedure calls for a realignment. If you are setting the strut to the most outboard position, you dont need to realign. The outboard position is the same that the strut was pinned to before you started.
to get the strut out you have to disconnect the hub spindle assembly then you can.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
to get the strut out you have to disconnect the hub spindle assembly then you can.
I found that extra work to not be necessary.

Sponsored

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
This is awesome. Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I have been wondering how to do it, but all of my tools are in storage while I move. I have a friend with access to some basic tools, but I didn't want to tackle the project and get half way in then not have the tools to finish.

In my previous cars, the camber plate adjustment was pretty simple. Jack up the car, loosen a couple bolts at the strut tower, push the top of the strut in, tighten, done. Before driving home, do the opposite. It took very little time. I don't see how these camber plates can be adjusted on the fly like that. Can you explain how these work?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome. Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I have been wondering how to do it, but all of my tools are in storage while I move. I have a friend with access to some basic tools, but I didn't want to tackle the project and get half way in then not have the tools to finish.

In my previous cars, the camber plate adjustment was pretty simple. Jack up the car, loosen a couple bolts at the strut tower, push the top of the strut in, tighten, done. Before driving home, do the opposite. It took very little time. I don't see how these camber plates can be adjusted on the fly like that. Can you explain how these work?
You have to have adjustable camber plates installed. This writeup is specific to the ones that come with the handling package or the carbon fiber track pack.

The pins (set screws) are installed at the factory so that camber doesn't have to be adjusted as the car rolls off the line. If you want to adjust the camber, you have to remove the pins (set screws). The set screws are not to be saved and once removed, you can adjust your camber as needed.

You really cant adjust the camber on the fly. If you change the camber, the tow changes due to the fixed caster. If you change the camber, the tow will change as well. You would normally set the desired camber and then follow up with adjusting the tow. Repeat after your track event to return to street settings.

Also, it isn't as simple as marking the settings for street/track alignments and going back and forth between the markings. To achieve the proper settings, you are talking about adjustments in the 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch. The markings would get you close, but it really is a fine adjustment process.

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
You have to have adjustable camber plates installed. This writeup is specific to the ones that come with the handling package or the carbon fiber track pack.

The pins (set screws) are installed at the factory so that camber doesn't have to be adjusted as the car rolls off the line. If you want to adjust the camber, you have to remove the pins (set screws). The set screws are not to be saved and once removed, you can adjust your camber as needed.

You really cant adjust the camber on the fly. If you change the camber, the tow changes due to the fixed caster. If you change the camber, the tow will change as well. You would normally set the desired camber and then follow up with adjusting the tow. Repeat after your track event to return to street settings.

Also, it isn't as simple as marking the settings for street/track alignments and going back and forth between the markings. To achieve the proper settings, you are talking about adjustments in the 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch. The markings would get you close, but it really is a fine adjustment process.
Yeah I have the same one on my HP Mach 1, but finding any information on them has been a challenge. How to adjust them, how much you get out of adjusting them, etc. By comparison, the Camaro ZL1 1LE goes down to -3.7 degrees of camber after you loosen a few bolts and twist the assembly at the top. Very simple. That's what I am used to when I think of a camber plate. All I know is I have camber plates, but I haven't seen any procedure on how to use them.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I have the same one on my HP Mach 1, but finding any information on them has been a challenge. How to adjust them, how much you get out of adjusting them, etc. By comparison, the Camaro ZL1 1LE goes down to -3.7 degrees of camber after you loosen a few bolts and twist the assembly at the top. Very simple. That's what I am used to when I think of a camber plate. All I know is I have camber plates, but I haven't seen any procedure on how to use them.
Well, remove the pins as described. Settle on what camber setting you want and then set it. Next adjust the tow.

There is lots of info on doing your own alignment online. You can do it with simple tools such as string, 2 lengths of 1/2 emt conduit, wheel stands, jack stands, and a set of calipers.

If you plan to do a lot of alignments, I would recommend a string alignment kit. If you don't, just have a local shop do it.

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
Well, remove the pins as described. Settle on what camber setting you want and then set it. Next adjust the tow.

There is lots of info on doing your own alignment online. You can do it with simple tools such as string, 2 lengths of 1/2 emt conduit, wheel stands, jack stands, and a set of calipers.

If you plan to do a lot of alignments, I would recommend a string alignment kit. If you don't, just have a local shop do it.
Gotcha. I've done that plenty of times with past cars, but I was hoping for some easy gadget that I just didn't know how to use yet. Believe it or not I've had great success with the local Firestone and the lifetime alignment. They don't care if I bring them the car on Friday for the track alignment, then Monday to go back to street. Might go that route too. Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Changing your camber to a more negative setting will change your tow towards a more positive setting. So my point is, don't change your camber and the tow shouldn't change either.
@Tomster, do you have an idea of how much toe changes with camber? For example, between street and track (full inboard) settings?

I'm hoping for less than .1* so that I don't have to deal with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster, do you have an idea of how much toe changes with camber? For example, between street and track (full inboard) settings?

I'm hoping for less than .1* so that I don't have to deal about it.
I'm due to go back to street settings. I'll let you know when I do

Reactions: GTP
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

I'm hoping for less than .1* so that I don't have to deal with it.
I did my alignment today. I switched from a camber setting of -2.7 in conjunction with a toe out value of -.14 deg. When changing the camber to -1.3 deg, the toe changed to + .27 deg toe in.

So the difference is significant. If you switch to/from street to track camber setting, you need to readjust toe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ok, maybe nobody got it. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Before (camber set at -2.7*, yes the ravages of a track weekend)
Screenshot_20220130-142543_Chrome.jpg

After camber was readjusted to stock (best attainable was -1.3*)
Screenshot_20220130-145853_Chrome.jpg

And to make everyone feel better, here is front toe set to correspond to street
Screenshot_20220130-155045_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
0.4* is higher delta than I hoped.
I prefer to set a compromise toe than to change it back and forth.

Otherwise, does anyone know how much toe changes for each turn of the tire rod?
Sponsored