Sponsored

Removing factory spoiler: can I trust local car shop?

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I’m removing the lip spoiler and replacing it with another one. They said they would remove adhesive but I’m afraid of them messing up the paint. New spoiler sits an inch back from factory so old adhesive would be visible
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
How are we supposed to guess if the shop you're referring to can be trusted? We know absolutely nothing about them.
I could take my car to the custom painter I use and I'd trust him implicitly. In fact, I'm 100% sure it would come back better than factory.
Don't know your guy, his experience or reputation so how can I say he can be trusted?

OP
OP

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
i get what you’re saying. I just wasn’t sure if maybe someone would recommend a dealership instead of local shop

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
In that case I'd suggest asking around in the local car community for recommendations. Go to car shows, if they ever start back up, or visit a local track maybe.
I found my guy from a friend that has had several of his classic cars painted. The guys shop is a hole in the wall that frankly freaked me out a little but the product he puts out is outstanding.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
At the end of the day no one will be as careful with your car as you. Adhesive is fairly simple to remove so if you have doubts then do it yourself.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Eraser wheel, and 3m adhesive removal. Took my performance pack adhesive off in about 3 minutes. Hit with the eraser wheel for majority removal, 3m for the final clean up.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I removed mine and the adhesive in about 30 minutes.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Machina1212

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Thanks for the replies. I don’t trust myself to do it, but if it’s not that hard I feel confident this car shop (that had great reviews) will be able to handle it.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The shop or you can handle it. I did it myself and it was clean no issues except how long the adhesive took to clean. I didnt have an eraser wheel.

iram

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
iram
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Yr Appearance Pack
I’m removing the lip spoiler and replacing it with another one. They said they would remove adhesive but I’m afraid of them messing up the paint. New spoiler sits an inch back from factory so old adhesive would be visible
I used 3M (Auto) Adhesive Remover for automobiles, a Heat gun, and some elbow grease. If you have a drill, you can order an eraser wheel off of amazon and it will take that adhesive right off. You will need some panel removal tools, some 10mm sockets, an extension, ratchet, and Philips head driver.

dont pay for this. Its super simple and takes like 30 minutes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Whatever Dealership or Shop you are using - do a web search of their name and insert the word “reviews” after it.... if they’re an established entity, 95% of the time, someone has put an online review about them...

Never go in blind, that’s just asking for trouble from a quality of work and pricing perspective...

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
i get what you’re saying. I just wasn’t sure if maybe someone would recommend a dealership instead of local shop

Honestly, ill YouTube anything before I have someone else do it. Especially if its someone im not 100% trustworthy of. 9/10 YouTube shows me its pretty easy as well. Give it a shot! You might surprise yourself!
Sponsored