Sponsored

Remain Stock?

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Trust me, simply "having IRS" is not in and of itself a magic potion for curing all ride and handling ills. IRS is just as subject to compromises and what Ford needs to do to satisfy corporate-level technical and other requirements as the stick-axle suspensions of earlier generations were. If anything, it's a trickier job with IRS specifically because the two rear wheels are not rigidly tied together.

You seem to only be seeing the ride quality side here, without knowing enough about the cornering & handling side to understand what people might be trying to improve about those aspects (hint - it's about more than just maximum cornering g's). The 6th gen may well be better than what you've been accustomed to driving (maybe a whole lot better), and that's fine if that's enough for you. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements.

Try to understand that thoughtful suspension mods are mainly not about lowering and appearance. At least for as far as driving on true street tires is concerned.

Mechanical necessity depends on what you're going to be doing with the car. But beyond that, they can change the "feel" of the way the car drives, even when you're driving fairly gently. The best analogy I can come up with here is that it's kind of like instantly knowing that you're driving a GT instead of a sixxer without having to use much throttle. You just know it's going to be more capable.

I think you need to get a drive in a PP2 car - make that a hard drive - before you can make any judgments here.

Personally, it's the mods made for cosmetics' sake that I think are a waste of $. Tastes change, and what 'works' today may fall out of favor tomorrow. But I guess if you're good with that . . .

Norm
I see your sig, I had a '99 Maxima 5MT for 10 years, and a 6MT Forester, and had a 2012 WRX 5MT for 6 years. Now we both have Mustang GT MT's.

Similar experiences.

But the point of my post was you may play with mods but actual improvement over stock is near impossible. Hardcore tuners can put down big power, but they are on their own, and they know who they are.

I don't see modders going for improved ride, only going lower, stiffer, more powerful, louder, and not even getting to a stock PP 1 or PP 2, which are quite well-sorted from the factory.

Trying to achieve a PP feel without a factory-installed PP is worthy goal I suppose. The wheel and tires being the biggest contributor (summer shoes). A set of take-off wheels with rubber from a PP, purchased on eBay, is probably the the easiest move, and you know they'll clear everything.

And I know IRS isn't the holy grail, just an example of how far we have come. For almost 50 years the Mustang stick axle was a common complaint from the car magazines. Proof of how crude the Mustang was. IRS was available only in a special model and imports and how many Mustang fans spent thousands of hours and dollars trying to put one in their Stang. And now for no additional charge it comes standard across the line! Amazing, that's all.

And sure you can change the looks. I don't, you may not, but it's fashion so whatever people like and all that is fine. I see more nonfunctional spoilers near me than anything.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Do the hood struts. They should have been installed from the factory. You won’t regret them. They’re great.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
First "mod" was on before I got it home... K&N panel.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
It's your car, do what you want.

But consider any mods carefully, if you never drive the car at the track, putting a full on track suspension on the car will almost surely make you like the car less.

Personally, I think many of the "must have" mods are useless junk.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Snow Tries on OEM Wheels.
Steeda Jacking Rails
Steeda Clutch Spring

Thats it. I'm Family Man Poor :cheers::crazy: I'm Lucky I have the Car :headbang:

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Like some others have noted here, I bought a PP2 so that I would not have to do many serious mods. Here is my list so far:

Steeda Hood Struts (no drilling/cutting necessary other than battery cover)
Steeda Clutch Spring
Michelin PS4 Tires
RokBlokz rock guards
Boomba weighted shift knob
3M Crystalline Window Tint
Sto N Sho front license plate bracket

I bought the car for autocross and the occasional track day, and so far could not be more pleased with the decision.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
The thing about modding we all understand is that you shouldn't expect any more money for the car when you trade it in. If you can get by that little fact it's time to start modding. :)

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
The thing about modding we all understand is that you shouldn't expect any more money for the car when you trade it in. If you can get by that little fact it's time to start modding. :)
Very true. I just had a conversation with a younger guy that was asking $40K for his 48K mile car...:lol::lol::lol:

"But it's got...."

:lol::lol::lol:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
3 years bone stock. The only non OEM part is a k&n drop in air filter. I even have OEM replacement tires.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
3 years bone stock. The only non OEM part is a k&n drop in air filter. I even have OEM replacement tires.
Holy crap. Still in the wrapper. They are fun bone stock. Better than the ole 5.0 of distant past that was 185-195 whp stock.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Holy crap. Still in the wrapper. They are fun bone stock. Better than the ole 5.0 of distant past that was 185-195 whp stock.
I still have the OEM air filter in the garage so I can revert back to the day it rolled off the assembly line in Jan 2015.

I just may have the most original, unmolested, non-basterdized Valencia Turbo outside.of the Ford family.