Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
5. I never buy a NEW car. I apologize for my next two sentences. If you are buying a car NEW, you are an idiot. If you are leasing a NEW car, and then plan to modify it, then someone needs to hit you in the forehead with a very big ratchet. Plain and simple. Again, sorry, but it is what it is. Case in point is the 2018 GT and all the rush for people to buy it NEW, when they could just wait a year, buy one used and save $10,000. Because I let some other sucker take the HUGE depreciation hit by them buying ALL of my cars before I do, I can modify my car to make it "better", and at the end of the day not spend nearly as much as the dude who bought what would soon become "my car", first.
Not to derail the thread, but I'll rephrase your post. It's not smart to purchase a new car with zero negotiation. I always purchase new, but I also negotiate heavily to minimize the impact from depreciation. In fact, I traded in a '18 Mazda3 for my '18 GT and received $500 more for my trade than I paid for it. I paid $34.8k out the door for my '18 GT Premium w/ PP.

Dealers make a lot of money on people that walk in and just pay asking price. Taking your time, doing your research, and shopping across multiple dealers is key. Oh, and buying from dealer inventory instead of ordering. I got lucky and didn't have to order.
Sponsored

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
3. These cars are extremely easy to modify due to their straight-forward design, and the absolutely HUGE aftermarket support. Is there any other car on the entire planet that has more aftermarket support than the FORD Mustang?? Yeah, didn't think so.
One might argue, and as an owner of one in the past I may agree, that the Jeep Wrangler aftermarket is just as big if not bigger.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
5. I never buy a NEW car. I apologize for my next two sentences. If you are buying a car NEW, you are an idiot. If you are leasing a NEW car, and then plan to modify it, then someone needs to hit you in the forehead with a very big ratchet. Plain and simple. Again, sorry, but it is what it is. Case in point is the 2018 GT and all the rush for people to buy it NEW, when they could just wait a year, buy one used and save $10,000. Because I let some other sucker take the HUGE depreciation hit by them buying ALL of my cars before I do, I can modify my car to make it "better", and at the end of the day not spend nearly as much as the dude who bought what would soon become "my car", first.
I buy a new car every 16-24 months, why? because i can afford it and i like knowing that i am the only one who has ever driven the car and it hasn't had the crap driven out of it. there's no lemon law in my state for used cars, certified or not. so if i bought a used car and it turns out it was somebody elses problem then i'm out of luck. since 2008 I've had 4 new Coyote Mustangs, a new SS Camaro, A new G8 GT, a Scat Pack Challenger and a new Grand Prix GXP. I may be one of those idiots you speak of but i'm an idiot who is living the Modern Muscle car era to the fullest extent and loving every minute of it.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I buy a new car every 16-24 months, why? because i can afford it and i like knowing that i am the only one who has ever driven the car and it hasn't had the crap driven out of it. there's no lemon law in my state for used cars, certified or not. so if i bought a used car and it turns out it was somebody elses problem then i'm out of luck. since 2008 I've had 4 new Coyote Mustangs, a new SS Camaro, A new G8 GT, a Scat Pack Challenger and a new Grand Prix GXP. I may be one of those idiots you speak of but i'm an idiot who is living the Modern Muscle car era to the fullest extent and loving every minute of it.
Sincerely mad props to Bald Menace...

I respect your honesty. Seriously. Not many peeps have the guts to just say what needs to be said. Yep, if you have the ability to throw disposable $$$ at cars, then cool by me.

That is one of the things I love about this country..., freedom to do as you damned well please. It's your money, and if you came by it without the use of force, then you should be able to spend it any damned way you want to, even if you know it's on something akin to throwing the $$$ out the window.

And, that's a great list of cars! Much respect

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
One might argue, and as an owner of one in the past I may agree, that the Jeep Wrangler aftermarket is just as big if not bigger.
Wow, I forgot about THAT aftermarket!

I stand corrected.

Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
There must be a lot of idiots on this forum.

You made some very well thought out points until you said this. Pretty ignorant comment.
Just the opposite. I am very well educated on this subject.

How?

Simple, really. I was young and dumb once upon a time, and I WAS that idiot many times when buying cars in my twenties and early thirties.

As the saying goes, sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Sincerely mad props to Bald Menace...

I respect your honesty. Seriously. Not many peeps have the guts to just say what needs to be said. Yep, if you have the ability to throw disposable $$$ at cars, then cool by me.

That is one of the things I love about this country..., freedom to do as you damned well please. It's your money, and if you came by it without the use of force, then you should be able to spend it any damned way you want to, even if you know it's on something akin to throwing the $$$ out the window.

And, that's a great list of cars! Much respect
well let me add a little more honesty. I bought all these cars while single with the exception of my 2018 Mustang, my new wife doesn't appreciate my passion for buying new cars almost as often as new underwear and has seriously put the brakes on my future Automotive wild hair moments. trust me when i say it was very hard to justify to her why i needed to trade in my Scat Pack Challenger with only 3300 miles on it for a new Mustang. she got new furniture in the deal. :love:

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
Ford ships these cars out the door with a choke collar on. Lund set mine free - wish i had done it sooner. One mans opinion. Do what you will....

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
Not to derail the thread, but I'll rephrase your post. It's not smart to purchase a new car with zero negotiation. I always purchase new, but I also negotiate heavily to minimize the impact from depreciation. In fact, I traded in a '18 Mazda3 for my '18 GT and received $500 more for my trade than I paid for it. I paid $34.8k out the door for my '18 GT Premium w/ PP.

Dealers make a lot of money on people that walk in and just pay asking price. Taking your time, doing your research, and shopping across multiple dealers is key. Oh, and buying from dealer inventory instead of ordering. I got lucky and didn't have to order.
Not unless you put money down you didnt.

Tom C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Just the opposite. I am very well educated on this subject.

How?

Simple, really. I was young and dumb once upon a time, and I WAS that idiot many times when buying cars in my twenties and early thirties.

As the saying goes, sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.

I'm not questioning your knowledge, just the ignorance of your statement that anyone who buys new is an idiot like you admit you were.

We all have reasons for doing what we do. I'm well aware of depreciation as I'm sure everyone here is, and as I get closer to 70 I still want a new Mustang as my toy when many folks my age are driving Buicks. I'm fortunate that I can afford new and be able to absorb the hit at trade in time. This my retirement. One size doesn't fit all....I learned that the hard way.

Sponsored

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Not unless you put money down you didnt.
On which one? I purchased the Mazda3 with $5500 on discounts/rebates. Mustang also had substantial rebates/discounts (fleet discount, KC auto show discount, college rebate, etc.) In addition to my company's agreement at invoice pricing.

I didn't put anything down on either vehicle. Walked in with money in hand and said I'd buy the car if they could meet the price. They did. It was also not the first vehicle purchased at that dealership or its affiliates. Relationships are key.

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
well let me add a little more honesty. I bought all these cars while single with the exception of my 2018 Mustang, my new wife doesn't appreciate my passion for buying new cars almost as often as new underwear and has seriously put the brakes on my future Automotive wild hair moments. trust me when i say it was very hard to justify to her why i needed to trade in my Scat Pack Challenger with only 3300 miles on it for a new Mustang. she got new furniture in the deal. :love:
I feel your pain. I'm the same way, and my wife got a '18 Civic EX-T in the deal when I bought my '18 GT. Oh, and the fact that she said she'd bury me in the Mustang if I even hinted at trading it in hah.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
We all have reasons for doing what we do. I'm well aware of depreciation as I'm sure everyone here is, and as I get closer to 70 I still want a new Mustang as my toy when many folks my age are driving Buicks. I'm fortunate that I can afford new and be able to absorb the hit at trade in time. This my retirement. One size doesn't fit all....I learned that the hard way.
hey now, nothing wrong with a Buick as long as it's one of these. :)
rustorama.jpg

kidamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt 10 sp auto
On which one? I purchased the Mazda3 with $5500 on discounts/rebates. Mustang also had substantial rebates/discounts (fleet discount, KC auto show discount, college rebate, etc.) In addition to my company's agreement at invoice pricing.

I didn't put anything down on either vehicle. Walked in with money in hand and said I'd buy the car if they could meet the price. They did. It was also not the first vehicle purchased at that dealership or its affiliates. Relationships are key.
I need to work for your company getting a msrp car of 44kish, for roughly 32k, about 12k in discounts, is pretty good; great company you got there. Relations and all, not withstanding.

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I need to work for your company getting a msrp car of 44kish, for roughly 32k, about 12k in discounts, is pretty good; great company you got there. Relations and all, not withstanding.
It was $34.8k since sales tax isn't paid at time of sale (Kansas resident and purchased in Missouri). Trade did negate a decent chunk of the taxes though when they were paid while registering the vehicle. But yes, a pretty good amount in discounts.
Sponsored