Remain Stock?

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
been beating the shit out of my car since day I picked it up over 20 passes at the track already, I did a set of weld wheels and my supercharger is being installed at the moment. I bought my car to have 9 sec street car with a.c.. it's a mustang, value will depreciate so atleast make it fast lol
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
poncho@home Here is where I got my trunk strap from:

https://www.amazon.com/SpaceCitySpy...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01M8MFNJ4

Very, very easy to install, only needed a small hammer to push in the retaining pin. Have had no problems with it, some have it come loose from the grunk but I think they simply don't insert the pin far enough. No more finger prints n the trunk or spoiler!
So does this thing hang outside the car or do you have to slam the trunk shut so it stays inside? It's kind of hard to make either of those options sound like a good thing.

Norm

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I'm only as stock as my wallet will let me.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
The 15-17 definitely need a catback exhaust. The 18 active exhaust mostly fixes the issue, so it can be left stock.

As long as you have the Performance Package, and either an aftermarket exhaust or the active exhaust, you can definitely leave the car stock.

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
My previous Mustang was a 2001 GT Premium, 5-speed. The only mods it had were a cat-less X-pipe and a pair of Flowmasters!! But after 215k miles, I stepped up o my '17 GT. After driving the 01 for 10 years, I have NO reason to need more than what Ford gave the mustang. (Well HP that is). I drive it every day, and have loved every mile so far. I will get a set of mufflers soon, but I am in no hurry. Neat that you can walk into a Ford dealer and buy a 12 second all stock street car!! When I was a teenager, 12's were almost unthinkable. Technology has come along way.:cheers:

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
My advice: stay stock for the first 2 years so you can utilize most of your warranty.

After that, get a Ford Performance tune & cat back exhaust.

If you have magneride you won't need too much suspension work, maybe a IRS cradle lockout kit, and some billet aluminum vertical links.

If you don't have magneride, then consider the Ford Performance full suspension kit.

The reason I recommended those "minor" and mostly OEM mods, is that your car will hold a little more value. Trust me, when people see "Ford Performance Tune" and "Ford Peformance suspension" as mods, they're not nearly as scared to buy your car as if they see 8 different name parts on your suspension.

Then again if you have a 2018 GT with 460hp, A10 and performance pack, do you even need to mod your car at all ? They are so fast stock... 0-60 in 3.9s, same as a GT350.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
To Norm Peterson: The strap hangs inside the trunk when not in use (the trunk is closed). Open the trunk and it's hanging from the inside top. Yes, you have to pull down on the strap to close the trunk. You learn how hard to pull down, and let go of the strap to close the trunk. With both cylinders attached as it comes from the factory it does take a good hard pull to close the trunk.. I just simply removed one strut and now it closes very easily. I just hated getting fingerprints on the trunk or spoiler to close the trunk because dust always stuck to the finger prints and made the whole rear end look dirty.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It's called "Mine as well" syndrome. Beware - it's contagious and normally starts when you join a community or group (online or real life) that focuses on vehicles and their appearance / performance.

Well I need new tires, so I "mine as well" look at some rims.
Or
Well since I added the cat back exhaust, it does sound better, but headers would make it sound and perform even better...then I mine as well get a tune to make it take advantage....etc etc etc.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
It's called "Mine as well" syndrome. Beware - it's contagious and normally starts when you join a community or group (online or real life) that focuses on vehicles and their appearance / performance.

Well I need new tires, so I "mine as well" look at some rims.
Or
Well since I added the cat back exhaust, it does sound better, but headers would make it sound and perform even better...then I mine as well get a tune to make it take advantage....etc etc etc.
"Might as well" is the correct term but lets chalk it up to autocorrect. :cheers:

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
"Might as well" is the correct term but lets chalk it up to autocorrect. :cheers:
I know it's not grammatically correct - but I grew up around people who said it that way and still say it that way. Guess it all depends on where you grew up / where you live.

As long as the point gets across. :cheers:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought the mustang because it’s the cheapest V8 sports car which also happens to have what seems like an unlimited amount of aftermarket parts offered for it. That’s the perfect combo for someone who wants something to tinker with.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Mine has plenty of mods but the previous owner did them all :)

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
For me, modding my car is done for the following reasons:

1. I want all the engine performance potential that FORD left on the table due to warranty, emissions, and sound restrictions. Unlocking an extra 50rwhp is not hard thanks to the aftermarket and several respected tuners, and at a reasonable price point.

2. I want the car to look "good". Yes, this is fairly subjective, but the overwhelming consensus is that some springs and fatter wheels/tires does wonders for our cars stance at (again) a relatively good price point.

3. These cars are extremely easy to modify due to their straight-forward design, and the absolutely HUGE aftermarket support. Is there any other car on the entire planet that has more aftermarket support than the FORD Mustang?? Yeah, didn't think so.

4. I am a very good home-mechanic. I have a nice climate-controlled garage and, as Jeff Spicoli would say, "an ultimate set of tools" thus I can do ALL of the mods (outside of tuning) by myself which makes the process much, much, more affordable.

5. I never buy a NEW car. I apologize for my next two sentences. If you are buying a car NEW, you are an idiot. If you are leasing a NEW car, and then plan to modify it, then someone needs to hit you in the forehead with a very big ratchet. Plain and simple. Again, sorry, but it is what it is. Case in point is the 2018 GT and all the rush for people to buy it NEW, when they could just wait a year, buy one used and save $10,000. Because I let some other sucker take the HUGE depreciation hit by them buying ALL of my cars before I do, I can modify my car to make it "better", and at the end of the day not spend nearly as much as the dude who bought what would soon become "my car", first.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Case in point is the 2018 GT and all the rush for people to buy it NEW, when they could just wait a year, buy one used and save $10,000. Because I let some other sucker take the HUGE depreciation hit by them buying ALL of my cars before I do, I can modify my car to make it "better", and at the end of the day not spend nearly as much as the dude who bought what would soon become "my car", first.
That assumes you can find a year-old used car that was put together the same way you'd have bought it . . . at least to the point where it doesn't have any deal-breakers, and hasn't been beat half to death already.

Maybe this is not as big of a problem if you'd otherwise be willing to buy from dealer stock, but not everybody wants to take pot-luck chances with a used car matching the way they'd have ordered it.

FWIW, I can do most of my own maintenance/repair/modification work, too.

Norm
Sponsored