Sponsored

Red starter button?

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Reviving an old topic, for those that have installed the GT350 style red starter button like this one:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/red-...VhtzICh3rpQ90EAQYAiABEgKuYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is it really as simple as the video suggests? One minute and you're done?

Has anyone had any problems doing this? I'd hate to start on a silly little project that seems so easy, only to break some plastic tab that holds the starter button and now need a $$$$ part.

Thanks!
Sponsored

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this a few weeks ago with that starter button. The factory button is tight in there. They advise using a pick. I used a few different shaped picks. If you’re careful you can do it without destroying anything. Go slow and have patience it will come out. If you try to rip it out you will destroy the starter switch. Use the video that tells you where to go in with the pick.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
As the other 2 have said go slow and you'll be fine. I didn't use a pick, instead I used a small flathead screwdriver, the size you'd use on glasses and wrapped the tip in Teflon tape. Change the position where you're wedging it out a couple times and it should pop off.

OP
OP
analogman

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just did this a few weeks ago with that starter button. The factory button is tight in there. They advise using a pick. I used a few different shaped picks. If you’re careful you can do it without destroying anything. Go slow and have patience it will come out. If you try to rip it out you will destroy the starter switch. Use the video that tells you where to go in with the pick.
Bill’s video is a little better than AM’s as far as where to go in with the pick, IMO. Did it on my ‘16, as mentioned above be patient with it and it will pop off with a pick.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...p-kit-red-gt350-gt350r-2015-2017/p/M10B776MR/
As the other 2 have said go slow and you'll be fine. I didn't use a pick, instead I used a small flathead screwdriver, the size you'd use on glasses and wrapped the tip in Teflon tape. Change the position where you're wedging it out a couple times and it should pop off.
Thank you! Very helpful and appreciated!

I hate situations where something like 'will destroy the starter switch' is a possibility. Maybe because it's happened to me too many times before. What should be a simple silly little thing turns into A Big Deal.

Like with this. I don't want a $15 button turning into a $250 repair, with the car undriveable for months because the switch is out of stock.

@PVANT, what pick did you find the most useful? Was it like @cox0502 with a flathead screwdriver wrapped in tape?

Thanks again!

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
I used a 90 and 45 degree small diameter.
Sponsored