Sponsored

Red line water wetter?

mfelix15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
bought some red line water wetter today...its suppose to make my engine or radiator run cooler, suppose ably average of 20 degrees less. A friend from work told me about it...does it really work? it was only 10 bucks so it dont hurt to try i guess
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
The best thing to get is a Reische thermostat.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The stock cooling system is already very adaptable and capable. Unless the car is overheating you don't need it to run any cooler. Its already running exactly how hot its designed to run. Even if the additive works to increase the efficiency of the radiator, that only just means you'll spend slightly less time with the thermostat open or fans running.

I do think water wetter probably helps the radiator do its job (barely), but if you're having actual overheating its likely more serious than a little additive is going to be able to fix.

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
It's all bogus. The thermostat will ensure the temps stay in the same range.

It's all about flow, not the fluid. If it's cooler, the thermostat will be more closed reducing flow, increasing temps.

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
You can say it's bogus all you want.
I've run it, and am running it through my blower.
The stuff does drop temps, not sure how it works but it does.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
As others have said, unless you have overheating issues or spend a lot of time at the track on high temperature days, coolant additives are not particularly beneficial. If you are experiencing overheating on track days, straight water plus WaterWetter will improve the efficiency of your cooling system noticeably. The antifreeze in your coolant system is the problem. It doesn't have the heat capacity of plain water, so it can't remove as much heat from your engine. The WaterWetter improves the interface between the water and engine/radiator improving the efficiency of the cooling system a bit more. I believe it also has some anti-corrosion additives, but don't quote me on that one. It won't make your engine run cooler under normal conditions. Your thermostat controls that.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Unless you want your coolant to coagulate like this.... Ditch the water wetter. I had to replace my water pump
image.jpg

rs7337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem & 1968 Mustang coupe
that coagulated AF is from air in system or a small leak

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We ran water wetter in my race car to condition the water pump seals because it was against the rules to run antifreeze for fear of fouling the track surface and causing wrecks.

Antifreeze is fine.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The benefit from water wetter is only that it helps lubricate things when you have no antifreeze in the mix (which has lubricating properties as well as 'anti-freezing' properties, hence it's name. The real benefit is from running a higher percentage to 100% distilled water in the system. That is where the cooling is improved. Just adding it to your system as is will do nothing but potentially cause gelling.

rs7337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The benefit from water wetter is only that it helps lubricate things when you have no antifreeze in the mix (which has lubricating properties as well as 'anti-freezing' properties, hence it's name. The real benefit is from running a higher percentage to 100% distilled water in the system. That is where the cooling is improved. Just adding it to your system as is will do nothing but potentially cause gelling.

so you are saying the closer to 100% distilled water, the better the cooling efficiency?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
so you are saying the closer to 100% distilled water, the better the cooling efficiency?

Yes. But you need to be careful of outside temps. You don't want the water to ever freeze.

rs7337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I got that part
Sponsored