Red line in 3rd gear in the Mach 1

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
So l'm sitting here trying to beat the heat watching YouTube videos of the Mach 1 and I am seeing these car reviewers consistently holding 3rd gear in a manual transmission high in the RPMs up to red line. For example, a long sweeping curve. Now, full disclosure: I am an older Mach 1 owner and I do not drive my car hard at all. I haven't even been close to holding 3rd gear to red line. Some spirited pulls, yes. So, is it just the YT folks driving hard for views or do folks really hold the gears at red line in the manual transmission and do so on a regular basis?
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
So l'm sitting here trying to beat the heat watching YouTube videos of the Mach 1 and I am seeing these car reviewers consistently holding 3rd gear in a manual transmission high in the RPMs up to red line. For example, a long sweeping curve. Now, full disclosure: I am an older Mach 1 owner and I do not drive my car hard at all. I haven't even been close to holding 3rd gear to red line. Some spirited pulls, yes. So, is it just the YT folks driving hard for views or do folks really hold the gears at red line in the manual transmission and do so on a regular basis?
You answered your own questionā€¦ same thing with sport cars being always sideways when tested on a race trackā€¦.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Any chance you might post a link to a couple of those videos?

mcky2011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Dramatic effect?

One of the Ford guys did the same thing in a Dark Horse ride along. 3rd constantly, 4th occasionally, some 5th never touched 6th that I recall.

Some guys like to burn fuel like it's free and feel like they're holding it in the sweet spot of the power curve.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I always wonder if people ever count gears given the noise and RPM drop... Someone gonna think I have a 4-spd most days! 1-3-4-6. šŸ˜‚
I do think mine is a 4 speed :cwl:. I only use 5 & 6 on the interstate, and that is minimal. Winding out the gears is a fun thing.

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I had just discussed it with @Esset recently that redline behavior in the 3rd gear is unpredictable. I managed to hit the redline twice, first time the RPM just stayed at the redline, the second time, there was an immediate loss of power - drop of RPM - as if the fuel was cut off, not very pleasant experience, when on a highway, taking over some other car.

Coming to your question: I am usually below 6k RPM, only when going into higher gear, it would make sense to go all the way up.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I definitely think the videos are for affect. Hereā€™s another way to look at it; what are you trying to accomplish. Even on the track, holding just under 6k is really not costing you anything unless your trying to shave a few tenths, or passing someone wheel to wheel.

This is Steedaā€™s stock dyno chart for the Mach 1ā€¦ā€¦.

B0688B5C-F240-451A-AB37-C53754D07F8F.jpeg

They got max HP around 6850. But from 6k-6800, itā€™s only about a 9HP difference. If youā€™re drag racing, or trying to grab your ā€œfastestā€ time around a road course or auto x track, sure you probably want to give it the beans all the way to red line.

But for my money with the gear spacing on the manual, and the super tight gear spacing on the auto, Iā€™ll shift at 5800-6, and let the rpm drop into the fat part of the HP and Torque curve and save the heat build up these engine are known for.

The dude ringing it out may go 1/4 second faster than me around the track, but in a few laps when he has to slow lap or pit to bring his CHT back down, Iā€™m still out lapping. So whoā€™s going faster at that point?
Sponsored