Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hello,

My Aunt asked me to help her find a midsize SUV to ship back home to Liberia (West Africa).

She sent me a couple listings that includes the Murano, CX-5, Rogue, QX50. Price Range is $20-25k. Even though I have an idea of the different options available, I felt I could get better feedback from here where some of you have driven or owned some of the cars. She is not interested in Toyota or Honda.

She has her heart set on a 2020 Murano SV with 6k miles but I would think a 2017 CX-9 would be better. I have heard of the CVT trans not being the most reliable.

Need something where parts aren't pricey and can last for the next 4-5 years in an environment where roads are unpaved and may encounter dirt roads. I think that covers most things. Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think the big question is what is the vehicle market like in Liberia? I would pick something that you will have on the road in that country as well for parts availability, vehicle servicing, etc.

I do not like CVT transmissions. Unfortunately many manufactures have moved toward this but I don’t trust them for long term reliability.

With that being said, the Ford Escape is a pretty global platform and they are nice rides. Also comes with a traditional auto and AWD is available.

Check into Subaru as well. The Forester is a very capable and roomy midsize SUV. It IS CVT however I rather trust Subaru to that than Nissan. Their AWD system is killer and it would probably be the most fitting for the roads you described.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I think the big question is what is the vehicle market like in Liberia? I would pick something that you will have on the road in that country as well for parts availability, vehicle servicing, etc.

I do not like CVT transmissions. Unfortunately many manufactures have moved toward this but I don’t trust them for long term reliability.

With that being said, the Ford Escape is a pretty global platform and they are nice rides. Also comes with a traditional auto and AWD is available.

Check into Subaru as well. The Forester is a very capable and roomy midsize SUV. It IS CVT however I rather trust Subaru to that than Nissan. Their AWD system is killer and it would probably be the most fitting for the roads you described.
Thanks for the response!

The vehicle market there is iffy. You don't see American vehicles there unless someone with connections or money ships it over there. Most people have Honda, Nissan, and Toyota. Sourcing parts is difficult as well so my family usually buys them here and ships them back. Its easier to get Japanese parts over there than anything else which is why I would like her to get something of that sort so certain parts can be bought there in an emergency.

I agree with CVT and its unreliability. I advised her against the Rogue and Murano because of that but like you said, most options come with it.

Good call on the Forester. I will suggest that. Thanks again.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My vote is VW Tiguan with 4Motion.

Have had two, the first was the first import vehicle I've ever owned, and when it was time to replace it I had been sufficiently impressed that I bought another. They have been well built and rock solid for me, which is important with the long winters in MN.

Deleted member 35786

My vote is VW Tiguan with 4Motion.

Have had two, the first was the first import vehicle I've ever owned, and when it was time to replace it I had been sufficiently impressed that I bought another. They have been well built and rock solid for me, which is important with the long winters in MN.
Do not get any VW crap. The prices for parts are outrageous and the reliability is spotty. We have a 2017 Honda Pilot and its rock solid. I would recommend you get a Jap brand for longevity and reliability.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You mentioned the CX-5 in your first post, my sister has a 2019 CX-5 and it is not a mid-sized crossover. It's a compact crossover that's based on the Mazda 3 car platform. That said, it is very nice - the current gen Mazdas punch above their weight class in terms of design and interior quality. Much better than the run of the mill crossovers out there. The 2017 CX-9 would be a nice choice as well - those things are very nice, esp. if you get the middle or higher tier. We used to have a 2015 (previous gen) Mazda CX-9 grand touring - and I really liked that vehicle. FWIW my wife now has a 2016 Volvo XC-90 and it is a very nice 3-row crossover SUV - but I'm not sure if that is as cost effective being a luxury crossover/SUV.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Mazda CX5 is nice but I don't know how rugged it is. I had an Outback which was great and MIJ. I don't know if they still are.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Thank you all for your suggestions. I think at the top of my list to give her will be a CX-9 for space and reliability. If the car was staying in the US then I would have no problem with her going with a Nissan CVT trans because she could take it to the dealer under warranty.

Subaru is a another option I will ask her to consider. As I said, I know there are a lot of good vehicles out there, but without access to warranty work it makes it difficult.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Do not get any VW crap. The prices for parts are outrageous and the reliability is spotty. We have a 2017 Honda Pilot and its rock solid. I would recommend you get a Jap brand for longevity and reliability.
My VWs have been anvils, and the most reliable/trouble free vehicles I've owned.....

I concur on the Jap stuff though.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
My wife had a 2016 Murano (SV AWD) for 3 years and we had zero issues with it. Very comfortable to drive and we enjoyed it. It was her daily driver (~50 mile round trip commute) as well as the family vacation / car trip vehicle. Only got rid of it because she wanted something smaller and I bought a truck to handle family duties and she wanted something smaller (she got a Mini Countryman).
Sponsored