Sponsored

Recommend me some track wheels

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Looking to find decent wheels that won’t break the bank for my pp2. I have the Sport Cup 2’s in 305/30/19 that are new so I need to center the wheels around that size. I thought SVE SP2 would be a good fit but 19x11 squared requires spacers and longer studs, and 19x10 for front might be a bad fit, especially for track.

Any ideas what’s out there that will fit the tire setup without any modifications? Max budget $1500
Sponsored

Last edited:

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Looking to find decent wheels that won’t break the bank for my pp2. I have the Sport Cup 2’s in 305/30/19 that are new so I need to center the wheels around that size. I though SVE SP2 would be a good fit but 19x11 squared requires spacers and longer studs, and 19x10 for front might be a bad fit, especially for track.

Any ideas what’s out there that will fit the tire setup without any modifications? Max budget $1500
Apex SM-10 can be had in 19x11 with a +52 and +26 offset, meaning no stud changes, but you lose tire rotation. They will push your budget up too.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Apex SM-10 can be had in 19x11 with a +52 and +26 offset, meaning no stud changes, but you lose tire rotation. They will push your budget up too.
^ this. Although I favor going ahead and getting the extended studs and spacers.

4CF98D5F-6A0E-48E5-B512-A5DEDCDA970E.jpeg

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
The extended studs were an easy change ... gives you rotation option. Apex is supposedly having a BF sale starting today ... here's mine in EC-7 satin black. Expect the price to still be $350ea or more.

20200830_173711 - Copy (Small).jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
ebay: MRR M600 comes in +24 and +50. Does rotating track tires actually matter? How many more sessions do you get if you rotate vs not? I think it's mostly bunk. Far more important to get the alignment spot on.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
If I can piggy-back on this thread with a somewhat related newbie question ... if I'm using the OEM PP1 staggered setup for 19" wheels, with 9.5" width on the rims in the back and 9" in the front for my daily driving, will I need to make adjustments (alignment or otherwise) if I get a separate set of square wheels for my amateur track days?

And if anyone has any tips for cheap wheels on "black friday" sale now, please post. Seems several here recommend 18" wheels with a width of at least 10" as a good bang for the buck regarding choice of tires and cost, and I saw somebody mention apex may have a sale starting now. (Yes, I'm in Europe, but for some reason it seems to cost about the same to order from the US and post to Europe as a one-time thing, compared wo what the "Mustang" shops here (e.g., Steeda Europe) charge. Possibly even cheaper. Go figure. :-/)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
19x10/10 or 10/11 is the easiest 'goto' configuration and can be found for under 1000 in flow-formed guize. Only 'special' 18x wheels fit over the 6-pot brembos. Get camber plates and you can set up your car for "aggressive" street/mild track and run that all the time, or when it's track time crank in the camber.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t speak to what their BF sale will be this year, but I got my ec-7’s last year for $1500 + shipping which was around $100 iirc. But I went the square route of 19x11 +52 with spacers and studs. If you’re budget has a hard $1500 limit, the staggered offset set as previously mentioned is your golden ticket

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
ebay: MRR M600 comes in +24 and +50. Does rotating track tires actually matter? How many more sessions do you get if you rotate vs not? I think it's mostly bunk. Far more important to get the alignment spot on.
I think it's worth half again and maybe as much a double the life. Now arguably that is without the alignment being spot on, something you are unlikely to have with a street driven car.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah getting the right alignment is critical for keeping inside and outside edge wear as even as possible, but its hard to do much with the alignment to keep front/rear tire wear even.

On my car the fronts usually take a bit more abuse, heat up more, and wear slightly but measurably faster than the rear tires, so I think rotating helps extend the life of the set - maybe 10-15% or +2-3 more sessions, IDK.

If I'm right, that would pay back the one time cost for studs and spacers in ~2 sets of tires.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If I can piggy-back on this thread with a somewhat related newbie question ... if I'm using the OEM PP1 staggered setup for 19" wheels, with 9.5" width on the rims in the back and 9" in the front for my daily driving, will I need to make adjustments (alignment or otherwise) if I get a separate set of square wheels for my amateur track days?

And if anyone has any tips for cheap wheels on "black friday" sale now, please post. Seems several here recommend 18" wheels with a width of at least 10" as a good bang for the buck regarding choice of tires and cost, and I saw somebody mention apex may have a sale starting now. (Yes, I'm in Europe, but for some reason it seems to cost about the same to order from the US and post to Europe as a one-time thing, compared wo what the "Mustang" shops here (e.g., Steeda Europe) charge. Possibly even cheaper. Go figure. :-/)
Problem is 18" wheels limit your choices, especially the budget ones.
Tire selection is also bad for street tires (200 TW or above) in larger sizes (>275).

Now if your running slicks, 18" is the way to go. As racing slick tire selection is far better in 18" than 19.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
.... Apex is supposedly having a BF sale starting today ... here's mine in EC-7 satin black. Expect the price to still be $350ea or more.
Perfect timing. Those EC-7s look great on the Kona blue. I was set on gunmetal or anthracite but the satin black looks great.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Problem is 18" wheels limit your choices, especially the budget ones.
Tire selection is also bad for street tires (200 TW or above) in larger sizes (>275).

Now if your running slicks, 18" is the way to go. As racing slick tire selection is far better in 18" than 19.
Ah, thank you. Now I understand the guy I was thinking of was referring to more professional use than my own, not for general street use. Thanks again.

OP
OP

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Would 19x11 setup with 24mm up front and 50mm in the rear be fine? They’re project 6gr ten and appear to be 24lbs each. I do lose roating but this is best price I found - $1500 with lug nuts and tpms.

Any thoughts for track setup?
Sponsored