Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
My Canadian vehicle shows up. Use the Ford site.

Also I believe I was built feb 24-28 lol. Right on the cusp.
Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
If I'm by myself, I would still drive it. But, I don't feel comfortable having my daughter in the back in her booster seat. If something happens, I can at least get out quickly, but wouldn't want to try and get her out of the back during an emergency if I don't have to.
I'm with you on that. No way I'd put my grandson in the back with a child seat and strapped in. I also don't want to have a blown engine either.
Below is the recall info.

VIN: 1FA6P8JZ5G5521154
Year: 2016 Make: FORD Model: Mustang
Number of Open Recalls: 1
NHTSA Recall Number:16S40....opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> AWAITING# Recall Date: October 24, 2016
SUMMARY:
ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLIES ON VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CRIMPS THAT COULD LEAD TO A HOSE SEPARATION AND AN OIL LEAK.
SAFETY RISK:
SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE OIL MAY RESULT IN ENGINE FAILURE, AND IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A FIRE.

I know this is Joe's car and not the same problem that the recall is covering. But the results could be the same. Not good.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Not obvious really. They said they don't have a fix for those of us affected. If they fixed the ones beyond the recall window, it would mean they have a source for the parts that would resolve the issue. They simply didn't include anything beyond September because they don't want to hamper 17' sales. The vast majority of cars built before September have sold, whereas the vast majority of cars beyond September have yet to be sold. Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if they released another recall in several months for the newer owners. They want to implement a fix for cars they've already sold, not put a lid on selling these cars and having them sit at dealer lots for months when there is no immediate fix. The dealers would be filing against Ford since they borrow the money to buy those cars to begin with, and the longer they sit, the less money they make and the more of a liability the vehicle becomes.
That's ridiculous. They're not going to say "eh, these cars are probably good" just to prevent an extra few hundred vehicles from sitting on lots. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal as well. No, they don't believe those cars to be subject to the recall because they believe them to not have the issue (which would mean a parts or process change).

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Also interesting from stories being published right now...

No fires, accidents or injuries related to the defect have been reported to Ford.
Which would seem to indicate they don't attribute Joe's incident to this.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
If I'm by myself, I would still drive it. But, I don't feel comfortable having my daughter in the back in her booster seat. If something happens, I can at least get out quickly, but wouldn't want to try and get her out of the back during an emergency if I don't have to.
Totally understand that many will not drive the car due to this. For many of us it does not matter as winter is approaching anyway and we put our cars in storage until Spring. I may get 5 more drives in mine.

Good point about family. I would not want my wife or son with me if something went wrong. Guess it's off limits to them before the fix.

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Based on this site,
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Mine is NOT on the list but this surprises me given it was built before Sept 2016.

But I could not run it through the Ford site to double check, due to my location (Europe)

Could one of you try from the US?
Here is my VIN number
1FA6P8JZ2G5520477
My car was built for Mexico, and exported to Europe afterwards

Thanks a lot !

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Also interesting from stories being published right now...

Which would seem to indicate they don't attribute Joe's incident to this.
It's not. Joe's issue was a snap ring letting go on the oil pump. This may cause the same result if that much oil gets on the exhaust though.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Hello,

Based on this site,
Mine is NOT on the list but this surprises me given it was built before Sept 2016.

But I could not run it through the Ford site to double check, due to my location (Europe)

Here is my VIN number
1FA6P8JZ2G5520477

Thanks a lot !
It definitely seems like a commonality that export vehicles aren't affected.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hello,

Based on this site,

Here is my VIN number
1FA6P8JZ2G5520477

Thanks a lot !
It is not showing on the Ford site either. See below.
VIN.JPG

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm on the list. I have 3500 miles on her. I had planned on storing her next month. Not sure if kids in rear seat is something to worry about.

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Updated first post with Ford's press release. A little more detail on the numbers:

"Affected vehicles include certain 2015-17 Ford Shelby GT350/R Mustang vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Feb. 24, 2015 to Aug. 30, 2016. There are approximately 8,026 vehicles affected, including 6,523 in the United States, 957 in Canada 346 in Mexico and 59 in federalized territories."

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It's not. Joe's issue was a snap ring letting go on the oil pump.
It was not a snap ring on the oil pump.

Jalopnik said:
According to the guy behind the wheel, Joe “HiPo Joe” Charles, a snap ring in his Mustang GT350's oil cooler thermostat failed while he was driving hot lamps around Roebling Road back in April. The failed snap ring caused a plug to be pushed out of the oil filter adapter housing, sending loads of oil out of the engine. Joe thinks that oil touched the catalytic converter, and turned into a huge fireball.
http://jalopnik.com/holy-shit-a-ford-mustang-gt350-turned-into-a-100-mph-fi-1784671243
Sponsored